Author Topic: Chevy 2012 Traverse -- weird transmission noise.  (Read 511 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Chevy 2012 Traverse -- weird transmission noise.
« on: February 02, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
Maybe one of you guys have an idea what this could be.

My wife drives a 2012 LT AWD and for the past several months a recurring intermittent noise is getting more noticeable. When stopped on an upward sloping incline with the brake pedal depressed and the transmission in "Drive", a rasping noise is heard from the transmission. The noise is akin to a blower fan that is off-balance and the fan hitting the housing. The noise goes away if I take the foot off the brake pedal, or the transmission is shifted into "Neutral" or "Park".

Thinking that the pump might be starving for fluid, I have checked the transmission fluid level and it is properly filled, and the fluid is in good condition. It seems strange that the noise only happens when on an upward incline with the brake pedal depressed and in "Drive".

The problem started a few months ago -- and was fairly silent. At first we actually thought it was the fan motor or fan cage, but now it's definitely very pronounced and happens much more often.

BTW -- no codes have been set that would indicate a problem.

Offline kwoswalt99

• Super Hero
Re: Chevy 2012 Traverse -- weird transmission noise.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »
Something to do with the torque converter I think.
WARNING: Not a professional.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:22 PM »
You will likely fix it, regardless what it is. While I would take it to the best transmission shop I know and see what they could tell me. One thing is for sure, the longer it goes the worse it will get! Hope you figure it out GF!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »
Just thought I'd throw this is in in case anyone was wondering how to check the trans fluid level in GM 6T70 and 6T75

FLUID CHECK PROCEDURES

Proper fluid level for 6T70/6T75 transmissions is indicated in the cross-hatched area of the dipstick.

1 - Verify vehicle is on level ground when performing fluid level check procedure.

2 - Verify drive wheels are blocked and parking brake is applied.

3 - Verify engine is idling at 0% throttle.

4 - Verify transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is at least 86°F -122°F.

5 - Shift transmission through entire range – hold in each range for at least three (3) seconds. When complete, shift vehicle back into PARK.

6 - Remove dipstick and observe fluid level on end of dipstick. Fluid level should be indicated within the cross-hatched area of dipstick.

7 - If fluid level does not reach cross-hatched area of dipstick (underfill condition), add fluid until it is within acceptable range.

8 - If fluid level is higher than cross-hatched area of dipstick (overfill condition), use appropriate tool to remove enough fluid that it returns within acceptable range.

9 - Reinstall dipstick.

Offline strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
We diagnosed and fixed a cracked flywheel plate with those symptoms.  The center was breaking out where it bolted to the crankshaft.

I hope for your sake thats not your problem.  Mucho trabajar!

Offline Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »
Unfortunately that sounds expensive. Can’t help but hope it isn’t to painful .
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
Crawl under and double check nothing is vibrating. Maybe at that angle and only in drive something comes together just right to make your sound.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline lostmind

• Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
I had a Jeep Cherokee with similar noise and situation. Four technicians in the shop diagnosed it as transmission.
Turned out to be the water pump. When in gear in the right position , the impellor hit the block and transferred the noise to the
trans. It was my vehicle , most confusing diagnosis i had in many years. The pump was under warranty. I'm glad I kept looking before pulling the trans.
It could be a number of things that change under torque. I've had cracked flex plates also , usually knock at idle.
Try to find a factory bulletin source .May be a pump or thrust washer problem.
Doesn't take much effort to check for play in the water pump shaft.
Good luck.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most.
It's ALL for sale

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
Just an update!! I changed the fluid (did a drain and fill) and replaced with synthetic trans fluid (Dexron VI). From some interaction with members on the Traverse and Enclave forums I was made aware that these transmissions are VERY sensitive to fluid levels. Even though my operating level was within the recommended "HOT" hash mark zone on the dipstick I intentionally filled the fluid level slightly above the the top of the hash mark while the fluid was at operating temperature. My wife and I took the car shopping and drove highway and downtown traffic for most of the day. When we got home I took the car to the steepest hill I could find and just idled there for five minutes with the brake pedal depressed. Bottom line -- no noise in the transmission.

To be absolutely sure I drove around the block and repeated the experiment -- same outcome; no noise!

I'm at a loss right now because it seems such a slight difference in fluid level (and is in fact slightly above the recommended OEM level) would make such a big difference in performance. I double checked the dipstick to make sure it was properly seated, and I even inspected the cap to make sure nothing was broken on the seal to indicate a false reading in fluid levels. All seem to be in tact.

I'll do another drain and fill in a few days and hope my luck continues to hold out.

BTW -- there is no conventional replaceable fluid filter on this transmission family. There is a fluid filter inside the transmission, but it's a permanent unit. It can only be replaced if you drop the transmission and split the case.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »