Author Topic: SHERMAN-KLOVE and S-K tool history and date ranges  (Read 27855 times)

Offline twertsy

• Super Hero
    • The Tool Archives
Re: SHERMAN-KLOVE and S-K tool history and date ranges
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2015, 05:09:30 PM »
1964 SK-Wayne Catalog located here: http://toolarchives.com/node/1797

I recommend reading the inside rear cover.  Sheds a little light on SK-Lectrolite...................it also muddies things a bit SHF
ToolArchives.com - Researching and Documenting the history of hand tools, tool boxes and manufacturers.

Offline twertsy

• Super Hero
    • The Tool Archives
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2015, 06:34:47 PM »
If I may, could I ask you folks that have S-K Lectrolite wrenches to check them for a 2 letter date code please?  I'm trying to figure out the S-K stampings and I think they start with Wayne, but I wan to be sure.

Thank you!  Todd
ToolArchives.com - Researching and Documenting the history of hand tools, tool boxes and manufacturers.

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2015, 01:27:39 AM »
Thanks much for the '64 catalog, Todd - good stuff!!  thumbsup2

Most of my Lectrolite wrenches are out in the shed and it's raining and cold. I found one in here, but it only has a single-letter C code.

More tomorrow.

David

Offline twertsy

• Super Hero
    • The Tool Archives
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2015, 04:26:04 AM »
Thanks much for the '64 catalog, Todd - good stuff!!  thumbsup2

Most of my Lectrolite wrenches are out in the shed and it's raining and cold. I found one in here, but it only has a single-letter C code.

More tomorrow.

Single letter is good too.  A lot of my S-K Wayne examples appear to be single letter codes so that would fit.  You can shoot pics to twertsy@gmail.com if you'd be so kind!

Offline gben

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »

When I was a kid 45-50 years ago I had my introduction to S-K tools when my father bought a great little S-K Wayne 1/4" drive socket set, which the old geezer still has in his garage! I used it quite a bit growing up while working on cars, motorcycles etc. so I always had respect for S-K tools, they seemed to work better than a lot of the Craftsman tools we had, especially the ratchets. It was this past that let me grab the chance to buy this little 1/4" set about a month ago at a local garage sale. The ratchet was instantly recognizable when I saw it as it looks very much like the one my father has. I was surprised to look on Alloy Artifacts and see that the one I bought was probably from about 1939-1941, right before WWII and 25-30  years older than my father's set. I have already used it a number of times after adding it to the tools in my garage and it works great, the ratchet seems to function like new, it has passed the test of time for sure:

Offline chopper1

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2016, 12:00:34 AM »
Nice chrome set, gben, and welcome to GG. 
Why not add it to the 'Let s see your S-K tools thread  http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=13331.0
mike

I don't need anger management.  I need people to stop pissing me off!

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2016, 02:29:24 AM »
Yep.....that's a sweet set... droolx

Offline DerekTheToolGuy

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2016, 06:08:25 PM »
I am looking for a 3/8 sk roto ratchet  the tuff one version with black + shape selector on top I havethe other 3870 I think if anyone finds one I'd pay $100

Offline chillylulu

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
Date ranges

I've been looking at hundreds of photos of SK tools, trying to see if there is a recognizable pattern to the tool logos that would allow me to date the tools manufacture. I believe I have picked up a few patterns.
Below is my research so far. I don't claim that it's perfect. Please feel free to add any insights you may have. Any former or current SK employees could probably shed some light on these facts. And, if you have an SK tool or box with an original bill of sale, please post it. That will help me adjust my findings with hard evidence.

The history of SK that I've discovered from searching, along with my surmized logos, is:
Symngton Wayne bought S-K in 1962, and held it until 1969                      S-K Wayne             
Dresser Industries owned them from 1969 to 1985                                S-K TOOLS, S-K
FACOM owned them from 1985 to 2005                                                         S dot K
SK was independently owned for 2005 to 2010                                           S circle K
Ideal Industries bought them in 2010 and currently still owns them          unchanged

For history prior to Wayne, I think Alloy Artifacts does the best job. thumbsup2
UPDATE: for preservation sake, I'm adding AA's info here with my analysis

Ratchet and accessories logo: S-K in a complete diamond  = 1930's thru 1962
Sockets: Hex drive - 1930's
              dot before and after size, no name  (Square drive with knurling but no bands) - 1930's
              S-K Chrome with knurling and bands - early 30's to early 40's
              S-K with knurling and bands - late 40's to ???
              S-K straight side without knurling - ???

Wrenches: S hyphen K (same years)
                  Lectrolite = contract work/partnership(?) from late 40's to early 60's. Lectrolite didn't do socket tools, only wrenches.

Box logos: - Paper decal in complete diamond, S-K Tools in orange letters with white stripe in center, with yellow? and black background = 1930's
                 - Stamped metal plate, complete diamond, S-K Tools in red on gold background, no white center and no black = 1946 to 1955
Both the above box logos have the "S-K TOOLS" in artistic style, and have Sherman-Klove Tools Chicago, Il. near the bottom of the diamond.

There are 3 things I know for sure:
1) Any tool marked S-K Wayne is from the Wayne era. They didn't start marking the tools with Wayne until  around 1964 I think, so, there could be a small gap there.
2) I bought a boxed socket set in 1980. The box logo (S-K Tools Franklin Park, Ill.) and tool logo's give me an indication to verify tools from around that time.  Again, I give myself a 2-year play on this.
3) <S dot K> (i.e. a partial diamond with rounded point or "circle") is from the FACOM era. The Tuff 1 ratchets offered by S-K are a cross-over design provided them from FACOM. I believe that, since FACOM sold them, they no longer offer that style of ratchet. So, the tool logo on those ratchets represent the FACOM-era logo.

Now, some observations I've made that are tentative at this point:
1) A hyphen (-)  between the S and K represent pre-FACOM (1985) tools. It appears that every FACOM-era (and after) tool I've seen replaces the hyphen with a dot (signifying  FACOM) or a circle (for independent SK). If your tool has an S hyphen K on it in any fashion, it is most probably before 1985 or so (i.e it's pre-FACOM).
2) Any screwdrivers and sockets with "S-K Tools" on them designates early Dresser markings.  The clear green plastic with white stripe screwdrivers I bought in 1980 were marked "S-K Tools".  So, it's after Wayne but before FACOM.
3) Tool boxes with "S-K Tools Chicago, Ill" are from this time frame also. What year S-K moved their HQ to Franklin Park is unknown to me at this time. My socket box is the latter, and it's a 1980. So, the city switch occurred between 1969 and 1980. I would love to know if anyone has boxes marked with either - and when they bought them - to narrow down this date. UPDATE: A forum member has informed me the change occurred in mid 1971 or so. Thanks!
4) It seems that the FACOM "S dot K" became "S circle K" near the end of their ownership. A 2004 catalog I once had used the circle logo, and FACOM still owned them at that point. It seems S-K kept the logo after they became independent. Maybe there was a small gap in my theory reasoning? Their "SuperChrome" finish and "SureGrip" broaching was also advertised in this catalog. Might help narrow the dates? Again, if anyone has a more precise date for this logo change, please let us know.

Bonneyman,

I'd like to propose a few changes to your excellent timeline:

Symington-Wayne merged with Dresser on April 30, 1968.  Recorded by the USPTO on 1/13/1969
Purchased from Dresser by Corcoran Partners Ltd 10/26/1983, sold to Facom late 1985.  Illinois 1st district appellate court decision, case 1-94-3997
1/9/1984   S.K rounded diamond logo registered to SK Hand Tool Corporation, 1st use shown as 1982 (Dresser?) USPTO Serial Number 73459995

Symngton Wayne bought S-K in 1962, and held it until 1968                 S-K Wayne             
Dresser Industries owned them from 1968 to 1983                                S-K TOOLS, S-K
SK Hand Tool Corporation owned them from 10/26/83 to late 1985                      SK Rounded Diamond Logo
FACOM owned them from late 1985 to 2005                                                         S dot K
SK was independently owned for 2005 to 2010                                           S circle K
Ideal Industries bought them in 2010 and currently still owns them          unchanged

dot before and after size, no name  (Square drive with knurling but no bands) - 1930's

From Wikipedia, often quoted but unverified elsewhere so far, "In 1968 S-K Wayne was purchased by Dresser Industries as part of the merger between Wayne Oil and Tank Company and Dresser Industries. Dresser Industries made many changes to S-K's tools including dropping the cross-hatch pattern from their sockets in order to 'modernize' them."

Personally, I don't think Dresser had any intention of "modernizing" anything, they were just cheap (IMHO.) Evidenced by this from the SK Tools vs Dresser case:
"One example involved a "pawl," which
is part of a ratchet.  According to Czuba, the pawl had been made
of metal which lasted 20 years, but had been changed to being
made out of compressed metal powder, which lasted only two years
on average.  Before the Partners purchased the business, the
handtool division discovered the problem and returned to the
metal pawls."

Chilly

Offline twertsy

• Super Hero
    • The Tool Archives
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
Date ranges

I've been looking at hundreds of photos of SK tools, trying to see if there is a recognizable pattern to the tool logos that would allow me to date the tools manufacture. I believe I have picked up a few patterns.
Below is my research so far. I don't claim that it's perfect. Please feel free to add any insights you may have. Any former or current SK employees could probably shed some light on these facts. And, if you have an SK tool or box with an original bill of sale, please post it. That will help me adjust my findings with hard evidence.

The history of SK that I've discovered from searching, along with my surmized logos, is:
Symngton Wayne bought S-K in 1962, and held it until 1969                      S-K Wayne             
Dresser Industries owned them from 1969 to 1985                                S-K TOOLS, S-K
FACOM owned them from 1985 to 2005                                                         S dot K

For history prior to Wayne, I think Alloy Artifacts does the best job. thumbsup2
UPDATE: for preservation sake, I'm adding AA's info here with my analysis

Ratchet and accessories logo: S-K in a complete diamond  = 1930's thru 1962

Wrenches: S hyphen K (same years)
                  Lectrolite = contract work/partnership(?) from late 40's to early 60's. Lectrolite didn't do socket tools, only wrenches.

Box logos: - Paper decal in complete diamond, S-K Tools in orange letters with white stripe in center, with yellow? and black background = 1930's
                 - Stamped metal plate, complete diamond, S-K Tools in red on gold background, no white center and no black = 1946 to 1955
Both the above box logos have the "S-K TOOLS" in artistic style, and have Sherman-Klove Tools Chicago, Il. near the bottom of the diamond.

There are 3 things I know for sure:
1) Any tool marked S-K Wayne is from the Wayne era. They didn't start marking the tools with Wayne until  around 1964 I think, so, there could be a small gap there.
2) I bought a boxed socket set in 1980. The box logo (S-K Tools Franklin Park, Ill.) and tool logo's give me an indication to verify tools from around that time.  Again, I give myself a 2-year play on this.
3) <S dot K> (i.e. a partial diamond with rounded point or "circle") is from the FACOM era. The Tuff 1 ratchets offered by S-K are a cross-over design provided them from FACOM. I believe that, since FACOM sold them, they no longer offer that style of ratchet. So, the tool logo on those ratchets represent the FACOM-era logo.

Now, some observations I've made that are tentative at this point:
1) A hyphen (-)  between the S and K represent pre-FACOM (1985) tools. It appears that every FACOM-era (and after) tool I've seen replaces the hyphen with a dot (signifying  FACOM) or a circle (for independent SK). If your tool has an S hyphen K on it in any fashion, it is most probably before 1985 or so (i.e it's pre-FACOM).
2) Any screwdrivers and sockets with "S-K Tools" on them designates early Dresser markings.  The clear green plastic with white stripe screwdrivers I bought in 1980 were marked "S-K Tools".  So, it's after Wayne but before FACOM.
3) Tool boxes with "S-K Tools Chicago, Ill" are from this time frame also. What year S-K moved their HQ to Franklin Park is unknown to me at this time. My socket box is the latter, and it's a 1980. So, the city switch occurred between 1969 and 1980. I would love to know if anyone has boxes marked with either - and when they bought them - to narrow down this date. UPDATE: A forum member has informed me the change occurred in mid 1971 or so. Thanks!
4) It seems that the FACOM "S dot K" became "S circle K" near the end of their ownership. A 2004 catalog I once had used the circle logo, and FACOM still owned them at that point. It seems S-K kept the logo after they became independent. Maybe there was a small gap in my theory reasoning? Their "SuperChrome" finish and "SureGrip" broaching was also advertised in this catalog. Might help narrow the dates? Again, if anyone has a more precise date for this logo change, please let us know.

Bonneyman,

I'd like to propose a few changes to your excellent timeline:

Symington-Wayne merged with Dresser on April 30, 1968.  Recorded by the USPTO on 1/13/1969
Purchased from Dresser by Corcoran Partners Ltd 10/26/1983, sold to Facom late 1985.  Illinois 1st district appellate court decision, case 1-94-3997
1/9/1984   S.K rounded diamond logo registered to SK Hand Tool Corporation, 1st use shown as 1982 (Dresser?) USPTO Serial Number 73459995

Symngton Wayne bought S-K in 1962, and held it until 1968                 S-K Wayne             
Dresser Industries owned them from 1968 to 1983                                S-K TOOLS, S-K
SK Hand Tool Corporation owned them from 10/26/83 to late 1985                      SK Rounded Diamond Logo
FACOM owned them from late 1985 to 2005                                                         S dot K

From Wikipedia, often quoted but unverified elsewhere so far, "In 1968 S-K Wayne was purchased by Dresser Industries as part of the merger between Wayne Oil and Tank Company and Dresser Industries. Dresser Industries made many changes to S-K's tools including dropping the cross-hatch pattern from their sockets in order to 'modernize' them."

Personally, I don't think Dresser had any intention of "modernizing" anything, they were just cheap (IMHO.) Evidenced by this from the SK Tools vs Dresser case:
"One example involved a "pawl," which
is part of a ratchet.  According to Czuba, the pawl had been made
of metal which lasted 20 years, but had been changed to being
made out of compressed metal powder, which lasted only two years
on average.  Before the Partners purchased the business, the
handtool division discovered the problem and returned to the
metal pawls."

Chilly

Symington Wayne purchased S-K in April of '61.  They continued to use the SK-Wayne brand until May of 1970.  See my SK research page for definitive historical references.  http://toolarchives.com/node/793

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »

Tags: