Author Topic: Polyester Primer -- aka sprayable body filler!  (Read 7994 times)

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Polyester Primer -- aka sprayable body filler!
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »
I've been working on getting this Jag cleaned up for final finishing and paint. The original primer on this car was put on to protect the car a few months while it was stored outside the garage under a canopy. I needed the garage space for finishing the bonnet. The primer did its job, but it did become covered in dirt and dust even when covered up by a tarp.

So for the past few days I've been getting this body back up to speed with some good block sanding so that I could try a new (to me) product. This stuff is a sprayable polyester prime/surfacer body filler. Some of my acquaintances in the auto refinishing trade swear by it. I ordered it from Eastwood --

This stuff is thick!!! It took a good half hour of stirring by hand to get the primer to evenly mix in the can, and another half hour to get all the lumps out. So many of the solids had settled on the bottom that it was like concrete. Next time I'll buy a mixer for the electric drill. This primer is activated with a very strong catalyst and it is mixed in 16oz batches. I followed the directions for temperature and drying time and wound up using 1/2oz. of catalyst per 16oz of primer. Having a small scale at the ready helps.

Once it was all mixed, I was eager to try this stuff in my new HVLP 2.5mm tipped primer gun -- FAIL!!

The gun would not spray this stuff out of the can -- it needed to be thinned with a few pounces of thinner -- even with the thinner the gun would spit a lot of this stuff and cause some big chunky primer spots.

Frustrated after several attempts to make this thing work, I pulled out by old reliable high pressure primer gun that I've had for ages and gave it a shot -- SUCCESS! This stuff went through that gun like "shyt through a goose" once it was thinned out a bit with an ounce or two of lacquer thinner. Best of all no more primer/filler "boogers" coming out of the gun and being laid on my nicely prepped surface.

I laid down two wet coats. This stuff is like chewing gum -- very tacky and sticky right out of the gun. It gums up very quickly on the surface and will need a good hour to dry. For safety sake, I'll leave it alone overnight and let it fully cure.

This primer/filler covers quickly and has incredible build -- I like it!!!

Once everything was sprayed, I really had to hustle to clean up my gun. Once mixed, pot life is under an hour so toward the end, it was turning into a sticky, chewy solution. I took the entire gun apart and soaked the pieces in lacquer thinner. If you leave it sitting around, it will ruin your gun.

The HVLP gun wasn't a total loss though. It sprays catalyzed epoxy primer like a champ and I really like that aspect of the gun. The underside of my bonnet, and all the bonnet pieces received two more coats of epoxy, and this gun was great at that job.

Tomorrow the outside of the bonnet will receive two coats of the polyester primer/filler to get some of the small imperfections filled and sanded out. I will definitely be using my old high pressure primer gun for that job. -- LOL
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:06:52 PM by goodfellow »

Online Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
Re: Polyester Primer -- aka sprayable body filler!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
Lookin good.      sharepopcorn
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
Good info on the high build primer. I've had good luck with Eastwood paint.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »
I've used the equivalent but from Evercoat. I see there are a multitude of products now on their webpage, but back in the day, I used in on my boat when repairing star cracks in the gelcoat. Paint would just migrate away from the crack and primer was not up to the task. The polyester filler did the trick and the star cracks were not visible after the paint job.

Looking good on the bodywork!

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:21:11 AM »
Anyone successfully spray this stuff through an HVLP gun? I couldn't make mine work at all.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:36:30 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Keeper

• My Random Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:13:42 PM »
I used the Evercoat slicksand when I did the bucket.  Pretty much the same stuff like concrete in the can when you tried to mix it.

I used my Divilbliss starting line gun for it, no thinner, but I did let the stuff sit in the sun a while prior to spraying it.  1.5 tip, some more air pressure and it went down pretty good.  Since it was a smaller tip, I had to slow down a bit on the spraying.  But no glumps you you got there.

On the plus side, it sands down nice, making the block work much easier.
Tbucket build pics: 
Build

Tbucket build pics continued: 
Build

Garage Pics are here: 
Garage

Offline FuzzFace2

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »
I have not used any filler primer yet thru my HVLP Start line gun set I got thru Eastwood.
For the little bit of priming (2 fenders & both sides of hood) and painting (under side hood only) I have done with them I use the throw-a-way cup liners. There is also a screen filter you can fit in the gun opening to filter before going into the gun. I did a no no and did not filter the primer going into the liner/cup and when I went to spray it came out like that. Next time I used the screen filter and when I went to clean the gun found the filter had blotches like that on it. Even tho it did not show up on the stick when mixing the primer the chunks where floating around. I now filter going into the cup like you should and run the screen, no more chunk splatter on job.

BTW I love the cup/liners for clean up. Throw liner out and little thinner thru gun, pull trigger and let thinner run thru till clear and you are done. Ok maybe a little rag clean up but that is it.
Dave ----
Jack (not my real name) of all trades, Master of none!
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/70-Javelin-Mark-Donohue

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
I stickied this. I want to be able to find it when I need it. I have a paint job coming up soon.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline robleticia

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 02:21:51 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but it's stickied for a reason. I spray all my high build through a cheap $60 Harbor Freight HVLP gun with a big tip. It's the only thing I use that gun for and it works perfect. A buddy of mine paints for a living and turned me on to the cheap gun.

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but it's stickied for a reason. I spray all my high build through a cheap $60 Harbor Freight HVLP gun with a big tip. It's the only thing I use that gun for and it works perfect. A buddy of mine paints for a living and turned me on to the cheap gun.

What size tip?
David

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »