Author Topic: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 3-1  (Read 31561 times)

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 3-1
« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the update. good to see that progress is being made. this is when it seems to slow to a crawl when finishing up the little details. As usual, excellent work. and thanks for taking us along for the build. thumbsup2
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »
I have received numerous requests for updates -- and they are long overdue. No I haven't given up on the Jag. It's still a huge priority to get finished this year. However, my main problem right now is liquid funds

Since the start of 2017 I had to remodel two bathrooms, get a new roof on the house, rebuild my daughter's car after a front end crash, and send the Jag bumpers out for chrome. Couple all those expenses with college tuition, outrageous property taxes, and the fact that I need a new(er) everyday driver myself, then the dollars quickly add up to about $74,000 in expenses so far this year and we still have five months left in the year. Given all that, the Jag had to take a back seat to the trials and tribulations of "life" in general -- LOL

I don't like going into debt, so until I can replenish the family emergency fund and the Jag/Garage "fun" kitty, it will have to stay under wraps for a few more weeks.

Just this week I was finishing up some wiring and found that the dash harness needs to be replaced. I had originally thought that it was in good shape, and that it didn't need replacement. I was wrong! It has been patched and been re-wrapped at several places and it's causing some intermittent problems in the engine compartment. Long story short, I need to replace it and remove the driver's side gauge cluster and steering wheel to do the install -- two steps forward -- one step back. A new dash harness runs around $800 -- oh joy! But it's no use continuing on with the interior until that problem is solved.

Hopefully in September I'll be able to get at it again -- and thanks for all the supportive emails and PMs

GF

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:19:59 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »
GF, that's some hefty bills you had this year.  Can't wait till daughter is out of school I'll bet :mr:

Funny how houses can eat up money after you have lived in them a couple of decades.  Stuff you never thought about starts wearing out and needing replacing.  We are about to go round 2 on flooring and realistically, it should be round 3.  Replumbing is in the near future also.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline nonhog

« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »
Good for you, not rushing things. Glad to hear you found the iffy wiring. Not cheap but better than gremlins or worse.
cursed with an eye for potential

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2017, 11:18:54 PM »
I know how life can get expensive Ray. It seems every time I turn around something needs fixing or replacing and it always seems to cost $1000.
Adds up quick.
I've hardly worked at all in the past year due to health issues and man does my bank account show it.

As for the Jag, have you considered making your own wiring harness? Very time consuming but would save you some bucks.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Online Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »
Ray I know you don't care about them, but I feel you would do excellent work on concourse restorations.

Your attention to detail and skill level is jaw dropping

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »
Thanks Tim, but doing concours level stuff is maddening. Definitely for the upper OCD afflicted crowd -- LOL. I'm just a low-functioning OCD type --

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »
Am feeling your pain.   I was real happy when daughter got her own insurance, own car insurance and a steady paycheck.  And handled her own car repairs.  Am going on 40+ years in this old house so know that feeling too.  The Jag dash wiring can't be too tough to duplicate?   

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »

Tags: