Author Topic: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 4-6  (Read 37893 times)

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 3-1
« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the update. good to see that progress is being made. this is when it seems to slow to a crawl when finishing up the little details. As usual, excellent work. and thanks for taking us along for the build. thumbsup2
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »
I have received numerous requests for updates -- and they are long overdue. No I haven't given up on the Jag. It's still a huge priority to get finished this year. However, my main problem right now is liquid funds

Since the start of 2017 I had to remodel two bathrooms, get a new roof on the house, rebuild my daughter's car after a front end crash, and send the Jag bumpers out for chrome. Couple all those expenses with college tuition, outrageous property taxes, and the fact that I need a new(er) everyday driver myself, then the dollars quickly add up to about $74,000 in expenses so far this year and we still have five months left in the year. Given all that, the Jag had to take a back seat to the trials and tribulations of "life" in general -- LOL

I don't like going into debt, so until I can replenish the family emergency fund and the Jag/Garage "fun" kitty, it will have to stay under wraps for a few more weeks.

Just this week I was finishing up some wiring and found that the dash harness needs to be replaced. I had originally thought that it was in good shape, and that it didn't need replacement. I was wrong! It has been patched and been re-wrapped at several places and it's causing some intermittent problems in the engine compartment. Long story short, I need to replace it and remove the driver's side gauge cluster and steering wheel to do the install -- two steps forward -- one step back. A new dash harness runs around $800 -- oh joy! But it's no use continuing on with the interior until that problem is solved.

Hopefully in September I'll be able to get at it again -- and thanks for all the supportive emails and PMs

GF

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:19:59 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »
GF, that's some hefty bills you had this year.  Can't wait till daughter is out of school I'll bet :mr:

Funny how houses can eat up money after you have lived in them a couple of decades.  Stuff you never thought about starts wearing out and needing replacing.  We are about to go round 2 on flooring and realistically, it should be round 3.  Replumbing is in the near future also.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline nonhog

« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »
Good for you, not rushing things. Glad to hear you found the iffy wiring. Not cheap but better than gremlins or worse.
cursed with an eye for potential

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2017, 11:18:54 PM »
I know how life can get expensive Ray. It seems every time I turn around something needs fixing or replacing and it always seems to cost $1000.
Adds up quick.
I've hardly worked at all in the past year due to health issues and man does my bank account show it.

As for the Jag, have you considered making your own wiring harness? Very time consuming but would save you some bucks.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »
Ray I know you don't care about them, but I feel you would do excellent work on concourse restorations.

Your attention to detail and skill level is jaw dropping

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »
Thanks Tim, but doing concours level stuff is maddening. Definitely for the upper OCD afflicted crowd -- LOL. I'm just a low-functioning OCD type --

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »
Am feeling your pain.   I was real happy when daughter got her own insurance, own car insurance and a steady paycheck.  And handled her own car repairs.  Am going on 40+ years in this old house so know that feeling too.  The Jag dash wiring can't be too tough to duplicate?   

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2018, 01:33:20 PM »
Door assembly: This is one of the most frustrating tasks that any E-Type owner has to face. The doors are are flimsy and the fittings are pure crap. Jaguars were not made to exacting standards -- in the 1960's exotic sports car world, they rated at the bottom of the quality scale. Nowhere is this more evident than in the doors. The parts and hardware are marginal, and the design is third rate. Putting a door shell together is mind numbing and frustrating, and is further complicated by the fact that documentation for later year E-Type doors is non-existent. -- So here goes!!

After extensive rework and painting, all the studs and hardware need to be thread chased to clean up the threads.

Then the most important item is to make sure you have a water drain hose inside the door running down from the top to the bottom -- I can't show a photo, but the top drain is visible from the outside of the door close to the hinges. Under this drain (on the inside of the door is a plastic tube that clips inside the door skin) it's hidden and you have to feel around for it with your hands.

Next loosely install the lock mechanism and the guide.

Next very loosely install the two window frame alignment "L" brackets on the studs that protrude inside the bottom of the door. There is one long and one short bracket -- the short one installs at the front of the door and longer at the rear. The slotted end of the bracket is fastened to the door stud while the round end fastens to the window frame.

Then I inserted the widow regulator into the cavity of the door and loosely installed two bolts to attach it on the inner door skin to temporarily get it out of the way of the window and frame (which comes next).

The regulator is just loose, and I have to remind myself that this reinforcing bracket resides underneath the inner door skin wedged between the regulator. This is how it positions (but underneath that inner skin).

Now the window is inserted into the frame and they are both slowly positioned inside the door. It's easier to move the window half way down in the frame to maneuver the lower window metal track over the lip of the freshly painted door. Once it's clear, the frame can be pushed all the way in.

Next comes the really painful part -- attaching the regulator to the window track itself. At this point I removed the loose bolts that temporarily held the regulator out of the way and freed the regulator. This allows the regulator to freely move independently inside the door. The window is pushed all the way down in the frame and the regulator positioned so that the guides can be inserted into the tracks. This takes patience and maybe a second pair of hands to hold the frame while the regulator is moved back and forth inside the door.

Once the regulator is in its tracks, it's important to attach the window frame loosely to the previously installed "L" brackets or the slides can jump out of their tracks.
Now the regulator can be adjusted and repositioned to align with its mounting holes, but before the crank mechanism can be attached the stiffener must be inserted between the mechanism and the inner doorskin.

Next the door release mechanism is installed in the bottom of the door. It's long arm attaches the door lock mechanism with a clip. To make this job easier, the window is moved half way up in the frame to allow access to the door lock.

Installing the door handle is fairly straight forward -- insert the handle and attack the rod to the lock with a clip -- not a big deal at this point.

The rest is also fairly straight forward -- the hardest part is done. I managed to get both my doors done this weekend and they will get handed off to the upholsterer for further finishing work.

BUT!! The door frames need to be fitted to the door openings. This is done through the use of door frame shims that are inserted between the upper door edge and the door frame base.

I took note of the shims that were initially installed, but the car doors were extensively reworked -- hence the shims will need to be readjusted to ensure the frame sits evenly in the door opening

Onward!!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:13:52 PM by goodfellow »

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 1-27
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »
I don't envy you that job Ray.  Lots of people get excited about restoring a car when it's tear down time and all the fun parts are happening,  but a lot of people abandon or sell unfinished projects once it comes time to do this kinda thing.
Glad to see you're back at the Jag.  This is one of my favorite threads.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2018, 01:53:36 AM »
Maybe you should have titled this: How to put 21 inches of glass in an 18 inch door!   Hated doing the window regulators on tiny cars, or imports with thin doors.  Glad this job is done. 

Offline Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »
Great work as always Ray, you have admirable patience.
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Online skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »
The only time i have done tbis type 0f work is on my kenworth. If you know anything about kw, 5he doors have  changed little over the years  and from model to moxel. The ar not that big consixering the size of the vebicle and see tons of abuse. Think 100s of thousands  of miles in 93rd ernally ther probably a half doz3n mechisms crom chain driven to poer windows. Worn out track egg shaped holes   and missing holes if you 3nd up with slightly different mechanisms.

I feel your pain.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
Tedious kind of work that tries ones patience for sure. Glad I am following along with the pics and not doing that work. We always appreciate you sharing your accomplishments as you press on Ray!

Well done as always!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
Thank you all -- time to get back on this project and work it on a regular basis. I'm working my way through the parts boxes and the basement storage area is almost empty -- Just a few boxes left.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »