Author Topic: 454 K10 Truck Resto  (Read 11662 times)

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
454 K10 Truck Resto
« on: July 02, 2016, 01:33:10 PM »
Since Muds' wanted to know, here is what I've been up to. I let this project sit for a few years, but I've been hitting it hard every weekend for the last couple of months. The goal now is to get it to where I'll drive it half way across the country dragging a trailer ASAP.

Here it is today. I drove it out of the shop for the first time today.

Here are some high lights of the last few weeks.

A backfire from the first start!

I'm using late model 7.4L manifolds and the outlet is in a horrible location compared to my slave cylinder. A 3" header collector flange works great with the manifold outlets, and some clever cutting of a mandrel bend cleared. The air gap now is so-so and I'm going to put a spark plug heat shield on the hose.

Speaking of the clutch, it didn't want to bleed. I ended up using my mighty vac and tapping on each component to get the air out! Worked like a charm.

Going to put a stock wheel in it, but this is a column, and pedal assembly out of a '86 that matches the cab! Some times it's nice to be able to plug-n-play!

Converting a auto truck to a stick? Chevy was nice enough to indent the cab! A 1-1/4" hole saw and a drill bit will get you the holes you need!

My "custom" gas tank. It's actually getting a 31 gallon Suburban tank. That is aluminum fuel line and Gates Barricade fuel hose. I'm told the Barricade line is Ethanol safe. Pricey, but worth it.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:46:10 PM by Altec »
"Play stupid games, you get stupid prizes."JJ

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
Re: The "Throw money at it until it's done" K10 pickup
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »
Red trucks kick ass! thumbsup2
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »
That will be a nice ride when finished.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Online Mikevango

• Resident flooring expert
  • Can use hammer
  • rollin with the rench mob
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:07:26 PM »
Cool project.
I like the traditional first firing backfire photo.
Well I'm the ghetto mechanic
There's no need for panic
I drink malt liquor for kicks
There ain't no problem I can't fix

Tools for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mikevango/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »
Cool project.
I like the traditional first firing backfire photo.

lolx lolx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 05:09:07 PM »
Backfire, yes. But sadly the distributor was not a 180* out.  lolx

No pictures worth posting but I got all of the brakes in accept for drums, and parking brake cables. Both proved to be a bit hard to find locally. So once I get those pieces and some brake line I will be able to stop this thing!

I also measured and got a serpentine belt for it. A 5060440, or 440k6 was what the doctor ordered. I'm using the stock crank pulley and water pump pulley for a '86 C30 454, but I purchased a alternator bracket that deletes the place for the air pump and cleans things up some. So a factory belt was obviously a no go. Luckily the 44" belt is common and any chain store should have it in a pinch.

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 08:40:53 PM »
Cooling system is plumbed, and filled. Only leak was when I forgot to put the block drain back in...  lolx I also got a couple Jones mufflers, and a stick of 3".

I ended up using a earlier model upper hose and a thermostat housing I had laying around that put the hose on a flatter plane. The temp probe location is temporary sense you get wonky readings depending on the thermostat position. However it is nice for knowing when the stat opens for testing.

3" Jones muffler with a 18" body. Straight through design. Next to a two chamber Flowmaster for size comparison. You can't beat them for the price.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »
Bbbrrrrraaaaaaappppppppp
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »
Couple of pictures. The exhaust is on other then the tail pipes. Waiting to get the bed on before I to them so I know where to place the 4" black tips I bought,

Out side getting some air.

The bed being off makes the bushings much easier to deal with! The passenger side bolt came right out, but the driver side was frozen into the sleeve. After spending time trying to free it up I just cut the bolt head and stud off.

Ball joint press makes quick work of the bushings. Instead of Poly I picked up AC Delco rubber bushings off Rockauto. they are like $6 each.

9/16"x4.5" Grade 8 bolts, and lock nuts. Tightened after the weight of the truck was on the springs.

I didn't take a picture of the passenger side exhaust, but here is the driver. Pretty damn straight shot. Welded up mandrel bends to Jones Max-Flo mufflers. They sound great. The muffler is a little crooked because I haven't picked up a clamp yet.

Copper 3" collector gaskets were used. Had to enlarge the holes with a step bit.

No picture, but the carburetor also has new accelerator pump diaphragms. No more leak!  lolx

And my wheels and tires are ordered. About $1500 for wheels, tires, black stick on weights, and lug nuts.  panicx

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »
Rear brakes, and parking brakes done. New wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware and I cleaned up the drums. Bent up some new lines, and since my father is in town he came up with a relocated brake hose bracket so I can use factory hoses with the lift. And originally the brake line went down the right frame rail, but I ran the new one on the left so he moved it to the left side.

Mind the shop. Its a mess, but I know where everything is... For the most part...

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 04:56:14 PM »
My backs killing me, but I mounted these damn tires today at work. Scale is a little funky but they are just shy of 33" tall.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »
Those should look pretty nice on that red!

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »
Got the seat out of my parts truck today after work. My upholstery guy is supposed to come by and pick it up. I hosed it down with bleach because it was covered in mildew.

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
I got my rotors on. New AC Delco (SKF) seals, reuses the Timken bearings, and using a set of locking hubs off my parts truck.

Spindle cleaned off and backing plate spray bombed. Then the nut with the tab on it goes in first. Set the preload and hope the locking ring lines up. One of my rings was cracked. Probably from someone tightening the jam nut without the tab lined up. Because it was cracked it acted like a lock washer and made the jam nut hard to get off. I'll grab a ring off my parts truck to replace it.

After I got the rotors on I went to get the locking hubs but it began to rain so I had to call it a night.

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
 Worked on the gas tank today. Two out of four cross members installed, and the old ones chopped out. That's .120 wall 1"x2" steel welded in, and the Suburban 31 gallon tank lined up with the floor jack. I need to get the trailer hitch for the truck before I can put in the other cross members that act as the mounting points for the tank straps.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »

Tags: