Author Topic: my latest acquisition  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Dirty Diesels

• location: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire in the East Midlands of the United Kingdom of England. Also known as Great Britain.
  • Diesel Wrencher
Re: my latest acquisition
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 05:22:08 AM »
Build another garage just for the Jeeps!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

that is a sound plan, now I just need to submit the proposal to my finance team and see if the CFO will give me the go ahead.  hidex  If you don't hear from me soon there is a field out behind my house where we buried our dog when he died, look for my body there first, lol.

anyway getting back to the slow whitey thread, I am more of a mechanical guy than a paint and body guy so I started checking out the mechanicals.  Dad and I had replaced the brakes when he got it so they were good, I really need some subframe connectors, man this thing flexes and creaks way too much for my taste.  also the engine compartment was a mess.  I hate a dirty engine, and I hate rust, so I took a couple cans of engine degreaser and a pressure washer.  a wire brush, etc.  then I painted some parts, and removed, polished painted and cleared the intake manifold cover and overall I am not ashamed to open the hood now.

then when I was driving it I kept getting distracted by the instruments.  I also hate it when dirt and grime gets in behind the lens and you can't clean it.  also the gauge lens was pretty scratched.

so I took it apart intending to clean and polish the lens.

but I have always preferred white face gauges and I found a nice gauge overlay kit from american muscle.  I prefer a simpler less colorful gauge kit, but this will do.

then my wife painted the needles with traffic cone orange fingernail polish lol and I put a new lens on.

it is a bit dusty on the outside in that picture, because my hands were dirty of course, but it cleans up nice.

then I had to figure out the wiring instructions.  it is actually simple, but I misread the instructions.  they said to tap into the large grey wire in the middle of the switch connector that is the switch on hot wire.

in my car that wire is brown and it is the same gauge as all the other wires except the constant hot feed wire, and I misunderstood the directions at first.  I read key on hot wire not switch on hot wire so it took me a while to figure it out, but that brown wire is the correct switch on hot wire and I ran the ground to a chassis ground. 

and there you have it.

Nice job on the clock needles!  th-smile

yeah I thought she did a great job.  I asked her to get me some of that fleurescent orange polish while she was at walmart.  when she got back I got paged to go into work.  I had planned to remove all the needles, mask and paint them.  when I got back, they were already done.  very nice surprise.

She certainly knows what she is doing.  thumbsup2
Bill

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 10:27:02 PM »
My computer crashed on me so I had to reload everything.  but I finally got some time to work on the 94 this weekend.  Harison, Sarah's boyfriend offered to weld my maximum motorsports subframe connectors in.  I gave him a dual voltage powder coating kit and some accessories because he wanted to start powder coating also.  anyway.  anyway he offered and I gladly accepted.  So he came over and we worked on it Saturday.  the hard part about it is that you have to weld them in with the suspension weighted.  so we positioned everything, dropped it down on jackstands to weight the suspension, then tacked it in really well.  then we raised it back up and welded it in. 

the original mufflers were long since gone, and the new ones were too close to the passenger side subframe to weld around, besides they looked like this.

so a little reciprocating saw action was called for.  hacked those out of there, then I managed to get the tailpipe un bolted from the catalytic converter without breaking the studs.  un believable.

I ordered a catback exhaust system yesterday so it should be here some time in the next couple weeks.

anyway after that Harison finished welding everything up.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 10:27:42 PM »
we ran out of welding wire and Harison had to help his Mom last night so he came back today and finished welding it. 

since he had to leave I decided to swap those valve covers. I wanted to make the valve covers look nicer, but it is hard to get a valve cover that fits under that intake on a 94 so I bought a used set from prestige mustangs and stripped and powder coated them, that took several days but they were ready to go on yesterday. 

on a 94 mustang you have to practically pull the engine to change that passenger side valve cover.  you have to remove the export brace, pull the upper intake manifold, move the heater hoses, and since they are metal tubes screwed into the intake manifold that is a challenge, pull the alternator off and disconnect the EGR tube from the exhaust.  once all that was done I decided while I was there I would replace the plugs and plug wires.  so I did that, swapped the valve covers using ARP chrome valve cover studs.  then I put everything back together.  I only had one day off call so I stayed up until I finished at about 0300 this morning.  and of course I got called in to work at 0800 this morning.  but I did get it done.

I also put a new serpentine belt on while I had the alternator off.
I have not decided what I want to do with the export brace yet.  I am torn between keeping it black, powdercoating it chrome, or red like the valve covers.  anyway I will figure that out one of these days.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:43:10 PM by mustanggarage »

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »
ok, so once I got home from work, Harison came back and finished welding the subframe connectors in.  after that I spent some time with a wire wheel and knocked down a bunch of rust, then I sprayed the whole underbody with eastwood rust convertor.  left it dry while I had supper and came back and sprayed on some eastwood rust encapsulator to protect everything.

I still need to replace the fuel filter, but I will do that some other time.  I am tired tonight.

anyway a productive weekend.  once my new exhaust gets here I will get this baby back on the road probably for about a week before it starts snowing lol.

Online fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 07:46:15 AM »
Well as usual you jump in with both feet and get cranking on your projects thumbsup2

Man that is a lot of crap crammed into that engine bay panicx

Can't wait till your next update.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 12:14:41 AM »
I haven't got my exhaust yet, but I scored a nice set of leather seats from a 2004 convertible on craigs list tonight.  My wife drove over to Des Moines to pick them up for me.   they are in really pretty good condition.  so instead of having to upholster my old ones I will just swap them.  the best part is I got the whole set for less than half what it would have cost to upholster my old ones even using cloth.  to get leather it would have cost about a thousand dollars more than I paid for these. I will take some pictures when I get a chance. 

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 12:05:58 AM »

I got off work early today and found this waiting for me!

so since I had a couple hours before I was supposed to go get Dad to take him out for dinner, I decided to see what I could get done. 

It was a pretty straight forward install, I still need to tweak it a bit, the one tail pipe is slightly lower than the other for some reason, and I will have to drive it and see if it rattles or anything then retighten all the clamps, but it went together pretty quickly.  I finished just in time to go get Dad. 

I mentioned yesterday that I picked up some seats from craigslist.

they look pretty nice.  They are not new obviously but they are leather and they match.  there are no holes in them, and overall they look pretty darned good.

since I was under the car I unbolted the seats from the subrame connectors and then after supper I pulled the old seats out.

the carpet is kind of stained but I used some heavy duty carpet cleaner and a little elbow grease and it cleaned up ok.  this is after I worked on the drivers side.

then I pulled that passenger side rear quarter panel off and cleaned and lubed that window regulator.  hopefully it will work better now.

so then I put the rear seat in, I just had to drill two new holes for the rear seat back anchors.

then I had a pleasant surprise for a change.  I knew the front seats on this car were out of a different vehicle, but it turns out they are basically the same as the ones I am putting in there, if you look closely at that picture of the passenger side carpeting you can see that someone had modified the seat wiring harness.  well it turns out it is an exact plug and play match for my new seats.  lucky me.  direct bolt in woo hoo.

now I just need to swap the fuel filter and powdercoat my shock tower brace.  I may do that tomorrow, but Dad says he wants to come over and watch me work this weekend so maybe I will wait until then.  or maybe I will just bring him over tomorrow.  patience is not one of my virtues lol.

Offline Dirty Diesels

• location: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire in the East Midlands of the United Kingdom of England. Also known as Great Britain.
  • Diesel Wrencher
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 05:37:09 PM »
Amazing what crap hides under seats!
Bill

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 11:50:00 PM »
yeah, and believe it or not I had already vacuumed and scrubbed that carpet a bit when I first got the car.  anyway it cleaned up really well.  I was even able to get those two grease spots out of the passenger side rear floor.  that heavy duty carpet cleaner is good stuff. 

in the meantime I got some more powdercoating done tonight.

I find the powder sticks a lot better if you preheat the part.  so first hang it up with wire, then get out my IR light and heat it up.

then spray the powder on and start baking.

then when I was done there were some areas that I did not get adequate coverage on so I sprayed on some more powder and did it all again.  I worked on this for about 3 hours tonight.

but it turned out pretty good.

I will let it cool tonight I could bolt it on about 20 minutes but I don't feel like it tonight lol.

it is so much easier coating things that will fit in my oven lol.  but this IR light gives me the capability to do pretty much anything I have the patience for.  so it is a useful tool.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »
installed the shock tower brace, and replaced the fuel filter yesterday.  took it for a drive with my wife.  I get a lot of positive comments about this car.  then I washed it I have been meaning to address an area on the inside bottom of the passenger door that had some rust on it, so last night I wire wheeled it down to bare metal sprayed some rust converter on it, then primed and painted it.  hopefully that will keep it under control for a while.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 02:07:28 AM »
I had a conference in washington last week.  completely avoided seeing or doing anything with politics.  and had a nice trip.  I took my wife with me.  we have been there before so we did not do too much sight seeing, but I have never gotten over to see the Jefferson memorial before.  it is across the tidal basin, and I just never made it over there.  so we went.  insert mandatory selfie here lol.

when I got back this was waiting for me.

So today I went over and got my Dad from the nursing home. he is still able to get out and about, and although he has very little endurance these days, he is still the best mechanic I know. So I brought him over to "supervise" some work on the vert, and it is a good thing I did. This would have been much more difficult without him.  Thanks Dad. anyway onward and well, onward.

first thing I did was to paint my door hinges. It looks unlikely that I will get those swapped this weekend, but we will see.

then I put the car on the lift, pulled the wheels off and started removing the rear control arms. first I supported the axle with my screw jacks. then unbolted the shocks in the trunk. then removed the rear sway bar and swapped the speed nuts to the other direction as they say to do on the LMR website. then I sanded it down and painted it with vht black paint.

then I removed the shocks, and the springs, and tried to remove the bolts from the lower control arm.

and this is when things started down the typical murphy path every project I do seems to follow lol. now in the video they just unbolted the lower control arms and they came right out, but that was not how it went for me lol. the bolts had seized inside the sleeves of course. just like trying to remove the leaf springs on my 65. what a pain in the butt. I ended up having to cut the heads of the bolts off with a 4 inch angle grinder and then drive them out with an air hammer. but I finally got them out. both sides had to be cut out like that. the upper part came out easier. so once I removed the lower control arms I cleaned up the mounting brackets with brake cleaner and a steel brush then painted them with rustoleum gloss black. then after that dried we put the new lower control arms in place. then removed the uppers and put them in place. everything went fine until the last control arm. for some reason the last metal tube that went inside the upper bushing was 1/4 inch longer than all of the others. now I know the later model cars had a larger bolt and sleeve, and this one was the correct one, it was just too long. so I had to cut it off a bit to get it to fit. once I had massaged all that and finally got the upper control arms in I put the new lowering springs in.

here is a little tip for anyone doing this. it is probably obvious to everyone but me lol. anyway when putting the new springs in, I dropped the screw jacks all the way out and tried to put the new springs in, It was a struggle until I got smart and put the screw jack back in on the opposite side and lifted the opposite side up, that dropped the side I was working on enough to get the new spring and isolater in easily. then repeat on the other side.

after that I installed the new kyb agx adjustable shock and the sway bar. the instructions do not tell you how the heck you are supposed to mount the emergency brake bracket back to the sway bar mount now that the bolt is coming from the other side. There did not seem to be enough threads coming through to get a nylock nut on there so I went to orshelins and bought a couple longer 10mm bolts and nylock nuts and that worked perfectly.

then I removed the pinion snubber bracket and removed the old snubber from the bracket.

then cleaned and powder coated the bracket and installed the new snubber.

bolted it back in. torqued everything but the bottom bolts on lower control arms to 60 foot pounds. put the wheels back on and dropped it on the ground to torque the lower control arms to 60 footpounds.

and finally I am done. with that part. tomorrow I will tackle the front. hopefully it will go a bit smoother, but knowing me I will not be holding my breath.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 01:25:04 AM »
well if anyone who reads this thread has ever installed lowering springs on the front of one of these cars they will know that I have never done it before or I would not have been so optimistic yesterday lol.  no this did not go easier than the rear springs in fact it took me even longer to finish.  but I did get it done.

first I put it up on the lift, pulled the front wheels, and then put a jack under the lower control arm to load the spring.  then I removed the upper strut nut with a 1/2 inch drive impact.  so far so good.  then I removed the abs mounting bracket, and the two bolts holding the strut and removed the strut.  easy peazy.  then I removed the 2 15 mm bolts holding the brake caliper in place and wired it up out of the way.  then I removed the abs sensor, then the sway bar nut and dropped the jack.  then I simply removed the spring,,,, ok not so simply.  I pried and cussed and pried and could not get the spring out.  so I went to oreilly's and rented an external spring compressor and came back and could not get it to work.  so I just tied a ratchet strap on it to keep it from exploding out at me if it should suddenly give way and just let my mad out and pried it with two long pry bars until it finally came out.  that took me hours.  so then I cleaned it up and went to put the new spring back in.  I decided to leave what I thought was a spring isolator in the control arm but there was simply no way to get the spring in there.  so I decided to remove the isolator.  that was when I finally realized why it was so hard to get the spring out.  I drove a 3 inch pry bar under that isolator and pried it up, put in another and drove it in, pried up, and slowly moved around until I finally got that stupid thing out.  this is what I found.

It wasn't a spring isolator, and if I had ever done this job before I would have known that lol.  the stupid spring had rusted so bad it was rusted in two.  I literally had to pry that last ring of the spring out of the a arm like it had been welded in there.  It should have just fallen out.  I think that the previous owner must have parked this car with the drivers side facing north for years and let snow and crap just rust that side completely.  it was the drivers side in the rear that was the worst as well.

anyway I finally after several hours got the new spring in, unfortunately I discovered that the drivers side ball joint was also shot.  so I asked my wife to go back to oreillys and get 2 ball joints and there ball joint compressor. in the meantime, I pulled the other side apart, it was so much easier, it was like I had done it before lol.  then I  watched a couple utube videos and tried to replace the ball joints.  unfortunately the ball joint compressor was not big enough.  the hole that the ball joint stud was supposed to fit through was too small.  I made it work anyway.  but it was a struggle.  I had to get out my big breaker bar to get the old ones out and new ones pressed in.

but once I finally got those replaced I went back to oreilly for another trip, took back my rented tools and got some new sway bar endlinks.  came back and put everything back together.  several mistakes putting things back together. of course.  important safety note, you can't get the stupid abs sensor back in if you have re-installed the strut already.

anyway I did get it back together.

then while I still had it on the lift I replaced the broken drivers side fog light with the new assembly I got from late model restoration.  and finally put the wheels back on, dropped it to the ground and torqued the wheels back on.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »
Well as usual you jump in with both feet and get cranking on your projects thumbsup2

Man that is a lot of crap crammed into that engine bay panicx

Can't wait till your next update.

yes it is a crapload of stuff.  trying to change the spark plugs normally would be a pain.  anyway, here is my next update, hope you like it, I am beat it is 12:30  I just finished the install, and the update, I have to get up early for church, and it is going to take me an hour to wash all this grease off lol. 

Online fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »
Within and hour and 15 minutes of the Fatman's shop and no stoppy angryguyx

Glad your Dad was able to supervise your work.  Guarantee you made his day,.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »
yeah that is too bad.  it would have been fun to see your shop.  I come from small town iowa, however so we were half terrified to leave the hotel lol.  we took taxis everywhere, I would have a heart attack if I would have had to drive anywhere around there.

and I do think Dad had a good time, but he was pooped after we were done getting the springs back in on the back. on Saturday when I did the front he said to "call if I needed him"  but I think he overdid it a bit friday.  My sister came over sunday and we all went out for dinner, and he was in good spirits  so he is doing better than when he was living at home alone.  He really got a kick out of that picture of the broken spring.  He was like man I think that car looks like it has a lot more miles on it than the 78,000 on the odometer.  they must have been hard miles.  lol.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »

Tags: