Author Topic: Diesel Mechanics Projects  (Read 7939 times)

Offline Dirty Diesels

• location: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire in the East Midlands of the United Kingdom of England. Also known as Great Britain.
  • Diesel Wrencher
Re: Diesel Mechanics Projects
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2017, 03:18:35 PM »
Today I had two jobs in a Toyota Yaris with a bust rear wheel bearing and brake pipe, also a front anti roll bar drop link, then a Ford Transit van for a wiper motor that snapped an arm, had to strip the panel under the window screen to access it.
Bill

Online fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »
Sounds like some nice work.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Dirty Diesels

• location: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire in the East Midlands of the United Kingdom of England. Also known as Great Britain.
  • Diesel Wrencher
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2017, 12:06:02 AM »
Sounds like some nice work.
Yes its getting busy I'm setting myself a target to at least put two jobs through the door completed every day and anything else is a bonus.
I know with this wrenching game it doesn't work like that but anything small jobs can be in out done and dusted.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:20:48 AM by Dirty Diesels »
Bill

Online fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »
Very important to ring the cash register every day.  Your goal is smart.  If you don't meet it one day just don't sweat it, just reset the goal for 2 the next day.  don't feel like you have to make 3 the next day, you will drive yourself nuts and will go backwards.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Dirty Diesels

• Diesel Wrencher
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2017, 01:03:04 AM »
Very important to ring the cash register every day.  Your goal is smart.  If you don't meet it one day just don't sweat it, just reset the goal for 2 the next day.  don't feel like you have to make 3 the next day, you will drive yourself nuts and will go backwards.
Yeah it's hard to run a garage as a business but easier to run a garage as a mechanic, that I have found out the hard way over the years, all the garages I have ever worked in over the years, the boss at each one have always had a power craze problem, I will certainly not be going down that road. I understand it takes years to build a good reputation and only 5 minutes to bugger it all up.
Bill

Online fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »

Yeah it's hard to run a garage as a business but easier to run a garage as a mechanic

Not sure I understand what you are getting at but you really need to be both a mechanic and a businessman to some degree.  If you plan to grow to have more then a couple of guys, you really need to think like a businessman.  If you stay small, you can focus more on mechanicing. lolx

I have had as many of 5 of us here and now there are three.  If I grew any bigger then the 5, I would have to be more business oriented.  My theory of business has worked well for me over the years, sell enough stuff at a reasonable profit and you will have enough money to solve the problems as they arise.  Solve the customers problems quickly and fairly and they will return.  It really has been that simple for me.  I have no business plan, corporate mantra or any of the other MBA crap you need for a larger business.  Amd that suits me just fine.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »
Heard it said if a mechanic hires one more guy, then he only does half the work, two more, then he only does one third the work, the rest of the time is on books and on the phone.  Personally, I'd rather be a one man shop, never have to apologize for someones else's work, never have to figure out time cards.  Hard to justify the equipment and scanners for just one guy anymore. 

Online fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
Problem with a one man shop is the distractions of answering the phone, ordering parts, paying bills etc.  Hard to get enough work done in a reasonable day.  It really helps to have someone take part of the load whether in the shop or in the office. 

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »

Tags: tdi tdci sdi hdi tid cdti cdi jtd dci dtci