Author Topic: VMC-44 Surface rust on galvanized bottle rack  (Read 1474 times)

Offline 48548

VMC-44 Surface rust on galvanized bottle rack
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:44:38 AM »
Well like the topic says...  I bought a used VMC 44 and noticed some surface rust on the galvanized bottle rack...  The best option would be a replacement stainless steel version, but at 675, that might be a while...  I tried CLR, but that might have made it worse...  I was thinking of rustmort and then painting some of it with a dull aluminum after 2 coats of rust mort....  Let me know what you think...  The pictures don't do justice to the rust...  It is light surface, but coke machines are know for lots of moisture on the inside and if I do this I would like to do it once before I order the stainless rack down the road or I could just do nothing and wait for the stainless rack in 6 months...  VHT makes a spray can that I was thinking of trying...  It looks like Rust Bullet has a top coat and converter in gray and then I can clear top coat it....  That sounds like the best idea, but was curious if you guys can recommend anything better....

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: VMC-44 Surface rust on galvanized bottle rack
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »
Rust Bullet works great, and I've used it on many occasions. You might also try using steel wool to strip the surface rust and then wipe on a light coat of linseed oil. It adheres to bare metal very well, lasts a very long time, and is translucent so that you won't lose the original finish. I've used it on rust prone outdoor appliance surfaces and it works very well.

Just make sure you dispose of the rags properly because linseed oil has a tendency to spontaneously combust when used rags are bunched together in a container or corner of the shop.

Offline 48548

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »
Rust Bullet works great, and I've used it on many occasions. You might also try using steel wool to strip the surface rust and then wipe on a light coat of linseed oil. It adheres to bare metal very well, lasts a very long time, and is translucent so that you won't lose the original finish. I've used it on rust prone outdoor appliance surfaces and it works very well.

Just make sure you dispose of the rags properly because linseed oil has a tendency to spontaneously combust when used rags are bunched together in a container or corner of the shop.

I am thinking of a 1/4 pint of rust bullet gray and then the rust bullet clear top coat....  I just want to do this once and not touch it again...  It would be about 30 or so dollars...  If you think it can handle the moisture I think I will place an order and I use a foam brush to apply it.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »
That's the problem -- that environment is constantly cold, moist, and humid and I'm not sure rust bullet was meant to work in such an application. Condensation may find its way under the coating unless you absolutely have 100% good surface prep and coverage.

It's worth a try and if you do find spots that rust bleeds through, I'd just sand it and apply linseed oil in those spots.

Offline 48548

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:23:53 AM »
That's the problem -- that environment is constantly cold, moist, and humid and I'm not sure rust bullet was meant to work in such an application. Condensation may find its way under the coating unless you absolutely have 100% good surface prep and coverage.

It's worth a try and if you do find spots that rust bleeds through, I'd just sand it and apply linseed oil in those spots.

That is the issue...  Maybe I would be better to put the money towards the new the stainless rack that will never have issues....

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »
You can always go for stainless, but right now I'd go with a little elbow grease and try the rust bullet or linseed oil. What do you have to lose? -- except a little bit of your free time.

Offline 48548

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
You can always go for stainless, but right now I'd go with a little elbow grease and try the rust bullet or linseed oil. What do you have to lose? -- except a little bit of your free time.

Done, I ordered the rust bullet grey and clear top coat.  I will work on it this week and two coats of each.

Offline 48548

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »
Here are some better pics....

Offline 48548

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »
Updates...  first coat...

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »