Author Topic: AC compressor oil in 1995 Impala SS  (Read 568 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
AC compressor oil in 1995 Impala SS
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
So I'm getting ready to repair my Impala's air conditioning.  It's an R-134a system, using an HD6 compressor apparently, and the factory oil was PAG 150.  I've found indications that GM has called for PAG 46 to replace PAG 150, as PAG150 is higher viscosity.  Both types are still sold.

The compressor I'm considering is an upgraded model from "Four Seasons" that calls for the use of PAG 46 and comes pre-loaded with it, while other closer-to-stock or stock compressors come preloded with PAG 150.

If I switch to this new compressor, is there anything that I need to do differently?  When I bought the car the AC wasn't working, it was low on charge, and I am reasonably confident that I charged it with refrigerant lacking added oil.

If it matters, the current fault is twofold, the front seal on the shaft is leaking and leaving a line where the pulley is acting as a slinger, and the clutch now slips/burns and it doesn't spin the compressor properly.  The system still has essentially full pressure, and I assume that the leaky shaft seal contributed to the clutch failure.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
Re: AC compressor oil in 1995 Impala SS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »
Is AC really that important in Arizona? :POKIE:
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
Is AC really that important in Arizona? :POKIE:

Considering our newborn is expected in July, yes.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
Congrats, didn't know you wife was expecting.  thumbsup2

Is this your first?
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »
Yup.  And she's going to be very confused that Daddy has a TARDIS in the backyard, and both Daddy and Grandpa have car lifts, and Mommy and all of Mommy's friends work on rockets and why don't all girls work on rockets?

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^ lolx

She will figure it out as she grows up.  And just think, she may turn into a rocket scientist who has a love of old Mopars and has a little grease under her fingernails.  That would make Mommy and Daddy both proud thumbsup2

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
....... and Mommy and all of Mommy's friends work on rockets and why don't all girls work on rockets?

I ask myself that question quite often. Some of the best engineers I know are women, and the best of them really like to work on their own cars; they excel at the "hands-on" DIY level.

Congrats to you and the wife on the new addition to the family -- exciting times are ahead.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
I am thinking that you will possibly have to flush the system if you are going to use a compressor with a different oil. You probably have to flush the system regardless if you really want to do the job right. I know if your original compressor failed catastrophically you MUST flush the system. I would also replace the orifice tube and the dryer regardless. Hopefully you already knew all of that and I am telling you nothing you did not already know.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • former beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
Pag oils will mix but yes flush the system. You may need to replace the condensor to have warranty on the compressor.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »
This is the kit that I'm strongly considering:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5538291&cc=1049699

It includes receiver/drier and orifice tube.  For $203+shipping it's not priced too badly.

The GM B-body RWD platform has a wide-open condenser coil that can be flushed.  No tiny tubes that would block-up entirely.

I was planning on flushing with excess R-134a, which appears to be a standard way of flushing.  Hadn't decided if I would try it on the bench somehow or do it all on the car.

If I can use PAG 46 in place of PAG 150 without having to chemically scrub every drop of the old oil that helps.  Like I said above, I suspect that the current compressor isn't 100% trashed, it's just leaky enough at the shaft to make a mess and the clutch is weak enough to slip.  Since the replacement kit is so cheap it's hard to justify replacing only the clutch.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »

Tags: