Author Topic: The Highlander crashes keep on coming -- Done!!  (Read 7342 times)

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: The crashes keep on coming -- updated 4-29
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
Everything tacked nicely in place and holding firm in order to get the final measurements double checked. The bumper is sitting level and has the correct offset from the body. All I need now is the darn radiator core support. It's been sitting in a UPS truck since late last Friday - and the UPS tracking site says that it will get delivered today. -- Fingers crossed.

Without that core support I can't weld everything up solid because the support must fit exactly between the two bumper mounts -- so I still may have to tweak my fabbed mount a bit.

Most importantly, everything is square and true again -

I've been working this job a couple of hours each night -- hopefully next week when I'm on vacation I can get a good solid week in on this thing.

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
Very nice.....well thought out too!

Online Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
Goodfellow insurance is better than State Farm.  And cheaper too.....

I'm sure you raised a gal who appreciates your efforts and that is what drives you to do this.  My hats off to you sir.

And,,,,,,,  sharepopcorn
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 07:14:23 PM »
I finally made some good progress -- the core support showed up and I trimmed and drilled it for the plug weld holes.

I clamped everything in place and double/triple checked the measurements using the strut towers as my baseline.

The core support needed a small tweak on the driver's side to make it fit.

Next I fitted the fenders to get the top of the core to the proper offset so that the hood and latch can line up properly

I cut the last of the old support base when all the measurements were the same from the left and right sides.

The newly fabbed frame support was permanently welded in place, and the right fender was attached.

Notice the door gap? It was a bit too wide, so it needed a few tweaks to make the gaps even. I eventually got it right.

I finally fit the headlight assembly supports and they were spot on -- on both sides.

Everything looked good, so I lightly tacked the entire support in place to keep it from moving around.

Finally I fit the bumper support and tacked the support bracket to my fabbed frame section.

The core support is lightly tacked in place because tomorrow I want to fit the hood. The hood will be the  "proof of the pudding" so to speak. If the hood installs with good gaps and the latch has a good purchase on the hood, then I know for certain that all my measurement are alright and then I can weld everything up permanently.

Onward!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:57:26 PM by goodfellow »

Offline stokester

• Airhead Aficionado
    • Classic VW Radios
Re: The crashes keep on coming -- updated 5-2
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »
 sharepopcorn

Can't wait for the next update!  Thanks for posting.
_Nick
vwradios.com

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 08:44:15 PM »
Excellent work as always Ray.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
Thanks guys --  I have to go out of town for a day, so this thing will have to wait a bit. Good thing is that the new hood arrived this afternoon and I can fit it up to do the final adjustments before final welding.

Online Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »
Ray where did you get frame measurements from?
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:53 PM »
Ray where did you get frame measurements from?

I used the centerlines of the shocktowers as my left and right baseline Bob. All my measurements were taken from those two points.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »
The hood arrived, but I it was a bit of a disappointment. The rear edges were bent due to transport, the center had a ding in it, and the right edge was bent  -- also due to transport problems.

I'm not going to send it back. I have to paint it anyway, so I'm going to fix it and just roll with it. Truth be told, I've never received a body panel that didn't have some sort of ding or scrape.

I did a trial fit before welding the core support, and it seemed to line up pretty well. I had to widen the fender bolt holes a bit to get them to slide inward a little more and close the gap. But after a few tweaks I was able to align everything to a point where the core support could be permanently fixed in place.

Getting the bumper support straight and tight was a big job, but in the end it was a great fit.

Finally, the hood and fenders were attached and the gaps were checked -- a little bit off on the right front, but the left was right on.

Adjusting the fender a tad  inward solved the gap issue.

This is how far I got -- unfortunately I didn't get all the driver's side core support plugwelds done because I ran out of .023 Mig wire. I NEVER run out of that gauge wire, but sure-nuff I didn't have another spool. I had a spool of .030, but it doesn't run too well on my machine for making plugwelds and welding light gauge steel. I order two new 10lb spools, but to finish this off tomorrow I had to order a 2lb spool from my local Home Depot -- and I paid through the nose for it. 

$12 for a 2lb spool at HD, vs $36.55 for TWO 11lb spools from my online supplier.

Anyway -- I'll be done welding core tomorrow. Most of it is already burned in solid, just a few moire plugwelds to go.

Onward!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:14:12 PM by goodfellow »

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: The crashes keep on coming -- updated 5-4
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
Finished the last few plugwelds today and then dressed the welds a bit to make them flush. I'm not too concerned about cosmetics with this thing, but a little neatness never hurts. I then took a red scuffing pad and and scuffed the entire radiator core surface to get it ready for paint.

I had some paint left over from a previous repair and put the first coat down.

Three coats did the trick

The paint did a good job brightening this front end back up

Now to get the fenders hung permanently and get ready to install the new parts.

Onward
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:50:50 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Mikevango

• Resident flooring expert
  • Can use hammer
  • rollin with the rench mob
Re: The crashes keep on coming -- updated 5-6
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2017, 09:47:03 PM »
I just seen this thread. Wow. It's an ambitious project for sure and you got so much done in a few days. Nice work and I'm glad she's ok too.
Well I'm the ghetto mechanic
There's no need for panic
I drink malt liquor for kicks
There ain't no problem I can't fix

Tools for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mikevango/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »
I just seen this thread. Wow. It's an ambitious project for sure and you got so much done in a few days. Nice work and I'm glad she's ok too.

Thanks Mike! --  beerdude

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »

Thanks Mike! --  beerdude

Do you paint the back side of the fenders and underside of the hood prior to hanging them Ray? Then paint the exposed surfaces once the panels are mounted?
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
On post #39, I didn't quite follow this. Was new metal sectioned in (below where your c-clamp was positioned) and behind the bumper mount, as a result of needing to push the bumper a bit more forward?

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »