Author Topic: Mazda B2600 - Turning a 'sow's ear into a silk purse' - the Earl Scheib way!  (Read 8379 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Turning a 'sow's ear into a silk purse' -- the Earl Scheib way!
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 08:09:03 PM »
Good job on the patchwork Ray.  You have the Astro light I want.  How do you like it? I dunno what it cost you but the cheapest I've seen the 40SL is around $80 on Amazon.  Is it worth it to you?

I bought mine through Amazon Bruce and IIRC is was around $56 -- about two months ago. I really like it. The magnetic swivel base is awesome and the brightness is much better than my old clunky corded florescent light.   --- Highly  recommended

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »
Order of the day was to sand.... and sand.... and finally; sand some more. I used 80 to get at the rough spots and smoothed everything out with 220 grit.
The hood has a sizable dent in it -- that will have to be metalworked and filled.

Other than that there were a few surface rust spots that the 80 grit took care of in short order.

Hardest part was cleaning and smoothing the sections where the old molding and stick-on lettering/stripes used to be.

Once the hood is fixed, I'll have to give the truck a thorough wash and degrease; then spot prime some sections and sand with 320 wet. A job for next week. I'm leaving town for a few days, but will get back on it Wednesday.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
That body is actually in pretty good shape.  At least it looks that way in the pictures.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »
To have your patience and diligence!!!!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »
You going to paint that back to factory code Ray? or are you just going to grab whatever you have the most of and blow and go?
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »
You going to paint that back to factory code Ray? or are you just going to grab whatever you have the most of and blow and go?

Easiest path would be to get the single stage factory color and just lay it on. That way I wouldn't have to paint jams and sills. That said, it's boring and I still have tons of the Valspar Ford Red. That was the color I was originally intending to paint the Jag, but it turned out too "orangy" for my wife's taste and she was right. I'm entertaining the idea of a two-tone Ford red and white or Ford red and black scheme. Not sure at this point, but I like the Ford red orange tint on a truck. It reminds me of the classic 70's Chevy C-K10 color schemes.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 06:39:49 PM »

Easiest path would be to get the single stage factory color and just lay it on. That way I wouldn't have to paint jams and sills. That said, it's boring and I still have tons of the Valspar Ford Red. That was the color I was originally intending to paint the Jag, but it turned out too "orangy" for my wife's taste and she was right. I'm entertaining the idea of a two-tone Ford red and white or Ford red and black scheme. Not sure at this point, but I like the Ford red orange tint on a truck. It reminds me of the classic 70's Chevy C-K10 color schemes.

I like most shades of red but I would not want to do a color change to get the red. If I was blowing a car apart like you did the Jag, then a color change would be of little consequence since it is all apart anyway. Being that you are not tearing it all the way down I would not want to go to the extra work to do the jams. Then there are also places like the back of the firewall that have the original color too. Not to mention I would be concerned about how it would look months or a year out if I had adhesion issues in the jams or out of the way places and I ended up with paint peeling or popping off and traces of the old color showing through, that would drive me nuts.

Due to that anal retentive eccentricity of mine I would just be inclined to go back with the original color myself. If that had not been such a big issue with me I would have done a color change on my 1972 C-10 years ago. I always hated that pea green color myself. However, like as not if you decide to do a color change you will pull it off in a way that will look factory I am sure.   

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »
I just thought of something Ray. If you do paint it red that bed will have to be unbolted and pulled away from the cab to paint the back of the cab and the front of the box. Not a big deal or very time consuming but more time and work all the same. That would be part of why I would not want to do the color change, my inherent laziness! LOL

If it is a choice of spending more on the paint and less time on the work I almost always will choose to spend more money if it is within reason.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
I just thought of something Ray. If you do paint it red that bed will have to be unbolted and pulled away from the cab to paint the back of the cab and the front of the box. Not a big deal or very time consuming but more time and work all the same. That would be part of why I would not want to do the color change, my inherent laziness! LOL

If it is a choice of spending more on the paint and less time on the work I almost always will choose to spend more money if it is within reason.

Yes, I thought about removing the bed Herb, but it's too far rusted underneath to attempt such a move. The bolts and mounts are rust fused by decades of salt and corrosion. I could cut the bolts and mounts but then i'd have to fab new mounts and that's beyond the intent of this truck. It's a beater -- and this job is designed as a clean-up not as a resto.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »

Yes, I thought about removing the bed Herb, but it's too far rusted underneath to attempt such a move. The bolts and mounts are rust fused by decades of salt and corrosion. I could cut the bolts and mounts but then i'd have to fab new mounts and that's beyond the intent of this truck. It's a beater -- and this job is designed as a clean-up not as a resto.

That would kill it for me. I would go nuts seeing the original color in that gap every time I would get in the vehicle. Even on what I always called a "blow and go" paint job which I have done several of myself.

I wondered if the bolts and underside of that bed would not be like that too. When I pulled the bed on my 72 in 1992 it was a similar story. I had to cut every bed bolt off, or just snap them off before I could pull the bed. My reason for bed removal was not for color match either but access for cab corner replacement.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
The decision was pretty well made for me when I pressure washed the bed this morning. Rust and more rust hiding beneath the bubbled paint.

So I took out the old O/A cutting torch and went about getting this rusted hulk free from the frame. It was hot and humid outside so I had to work in the garage with the AC on for most of this job. I constructed a bed lifting frame out of some scrap channel iron and hooked up to my garage hoist. Lots of other small bolts and clips to undo but finally the bed came off without a hitch

I quickly made a dolly out of some scrap 2x4's and set the bed on that for the time being to get it out of the way.

I rolled it behind the machine shop for storage until I can get at next week with the welder.

The truck frame is rusted and this will give me a chance to scrub it and put some paint on it.

The cab itself is in pretty good shape.

I guess I'll have to add another $20 worth of Earl Scheib metal work to the bill!!  :)) :)) :))

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
I think it's time to drop the Earl Scheib refrences, and admit that you just don't have it in you.  lolx

Thanks for taking us along on this little project. I've been enjoying it, and am eagerly anticipating the results. thumbsup2 thumbsup2

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
Now that color change will look a lot better! See, if you were really going the cheap and cheesy route you would have squirted those holes full of expanding spray insulating foam then cut it to shape and painted it with the rest of the bed! That is the cheap and nasty way! LOL

Glad you do not work like that Ray.  thumbsup2

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
Ol'Earl woulda painted that bed and put the liner back in it. gooder than new. Hell he may not of even pulled the liner to start with. fishslap
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Now that color change will look a lot better! See, if you were really going the cheap and cheesy route you would have squirted those holes full of expanding spray insulating foam then cut it to shape and painted it with the rest of the bed! That is the cheap and nasty way! LOL

Glad you do not work like that Ray.  thumbsup2

Yup Herb -- white and orange/red it will be.

I'm kinda thinking along these lines Herb, but not too sure about the white roof -- may keep the roof orange/red? What do you think?

The Garage Gazette