Author Topic: Mazda B2600 - Turning a 'sow's ear into a silk purse' - the Earl Scheib way!  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
That has always been the plan for my old C-10 Ray. I would love the red or orange and white but sadly it will be pea green and white in exactly the way that the red and white one is sporting its colors.

Ya, paint your truck just like that old Cheyanne, it will look great! I am onboard with it since you can now paint the back of cab and front of bed.  beerdude
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
In looking at the pictures of your truck Ray it appears that determining where to use the white and red is very easy to see based on the creases and lines along the sides of the truck! To me the truck appears a natural candidate to two tone as you indicated. I think the truck will look stunning if you paint it that way.

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
That has always been the plan for my old C-10 Ray. I would love the red or orange and white but sadly it will be pea green and white in exactly the way that the red and white one is sporting its colors.

Ya, paint your truck just like that old Cheyanne, it will look great! I am onboard with it since you can now paint the back of cab and front of bed.  beerdude

What color would you paint the roof -- white? or make it red. I've seen both on C10 and K10s

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt

What color would you paint the roof -- white? or make it red. I've seen both on C10 and K10s

Ya, I have seen them both ways too but personally I always preferred the white cab, then band of red then white down the middle then red on the bottom. But honestly, which ever way you choose to go will look great.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
I'd go with the white cab Ray.  But it will look good either way.  That sucks about the box though.  I'd be tempted to build a cedar box liner and call it good.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
I'd go with the white cab Ray.  But it will look good either way.  That sucks about the box though.  I'd be tempted to build a cedar box liner and call it good.

No way, Ray will easily save that bed. It just means a little more time and work than he wanted to invest but he will make it work. The bed has far too much good left to ditch because of the bad. Even if his patches look rough, and they might, it will function perfectly well and look great in the final windup. Rust gone, patches installed and job done.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer

No way, Ray will easily save that bed. It just means a little more time and work than he wanted to invest but he will make it work. The bed has far too much good left to ditch because of the bad. Even if his patches look rough, and they might, it will function perfectly well and look great in the final windup. Rust gone, patches installed and job done.

I agree.  I know Ray doesn't half ass things.  I didn't mean I'd scrap the box.  I just said I'd ditch the plastic box liner and build a cedar one.  I had one in my Ranger for ten years and the box looked like new when I sold it.

Bruce.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
I like that color scheme, but not sure  how it will fly on such a small truck.   Every Mazda seen, has been one solid color, mine included,,,all red may be best

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
I like that color scheme, but not sure  how it will fly on such a small truck.   Every Mazda seen, has been one solid color, mine included,,,all red may be best

If he does it I think you will be surprised at how well a two tone paint job looks on a smaller truck.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
Blue isn't too bad either.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
Ray's Earl Scheib = semi frame off resto lolx

Ray, you couldn't do it half assed if you wanted to lolx

That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Got back from a trip early this morning and since it was such a great day I decided to work from home and do a bit on the truck. We had near freezing temps last night, but today it was perfect -- sunny, dry, and temps in the 70's. Perfect time to lay on some frame paint

I wire wheeled the frame as best I could and then used a generous mix of Valspar Tractor Paint (Gloss Black) to spray every nook and cranny on the rear frame. I also did the front core support and valance while I had the wire wheels and painting equipment out.

I didn't remove the harness -- too many rusted fasteners. I just painted right over the entire harness -- wires, clips and everything. Fast and cheap!!

Same treatment for the front -- wire brush the rust, prime a few spots and spray the heck out of it in three coats. I can't say enough about the Valspar paint. It's definitely a durable product.

I did use an HVLP primer gun to lay on three very thick coats (well actually a thin first "tack" coat, then two very thick cover coats). I also used the recommended hardener  -- it makes it a very tough gloss, and I reduced the paint with plain medium temp reducer -- mix ratio was 3:1:1 (paint, reducer, hardener).

While I was waiting for the paint to dry i cut out the big rust area on the bed. Thank God for air saws and air hammers -- they made short work of the rot.

I finally made a straight tape line for the cutting wheel and will weld in a piece of 1/8" mild steel to cover the hole. Nothing fancy -- but i will have to slit the existing ribs in the bed to hammer them down onto the new straight metal patch.

I'll have to grind the existing bed flange clean and prep the bed for welding - but that's a job for tomorrow!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
Looks great as expected Ray! Last time I painted my 72 Chevy I did the same thing except used flat black. How do you like the HVLP gun? I have a new one I have never yet used and look forward to giving it a go some day.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Looks great as expected Ray! Last time I painted my 72 Chevy I did the same thing except used flat black. How do you like the HVLP gun? I have a new one I have never yet used and look forward to giving it a go some day.

Thanks Herb! The HVLP gun is only used for primer and general painting purposes in my garage. It's basically the go-to gun for any general painting job. If I want a professional grade finish I still revert back to my trusty old 70's DeVilbiss  JGA and Sharpe 75. I'm just so used to those guns that this late in the game, I can't change over to another system.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer

Thanks Herb! The HVLP gun is only used for primer and general painting purposes in my garage. It's basically the go-to gun for any general painting job. If I want a professional grade finish I still revert back to my trusty old 70's DeVilbiss  JGA and Sharpe 75. I'm just so used to those guns that this late in the game, I can't change over to another system.

I'm still not used to HVLP guns.  I'd like to keep using my old Binks gun but the difference in the amount of over spray is significant, especially when painting in the garage.  I try to cover things up as much as I can but over spray finds its way everywhere.

The truck frame is looking good Ray.  I can't say I blame you for not removing the harness.  I've never tried Valspar before.  I'll keep it in mind the next time I have a project to paint.
I don't recall Earl taking off the bed and painting frames though. lol

Bruce.

The Garage Gazette

Tags: