Author Topic: Denver Corvair  (Read 206 times)

Offline john k

• Super Hero
Denver Corvair
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
Waiting at a light in Denver,  best looking Corvair I've seen in a long time.  When his light turned and he came by me it sounded good. Sort of a Snarl.  How many have had Corvairs?

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Denver Corvair
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »
My dad owned one in the very early 60's. It was his idea of the mid-life crisis car at the time.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
My dad owned two, the first an early series more door that was teal green with matching interior. I forget why he sold that one. Later he bought a 2 door 1968 that was navy blue with a black interior. Pop added AC to it and drove it to/from work for years. It was my little sis's first car in HS in the 1980's.

I will give the old man one thing, he knew how to make them stop leaking oil which they were all prone to. He farmed out the multi carb work though. Pop finally sold it after he retired for $800 as I recall. By then the front fenders were getting ate up with cancer but the rest of it was still sweet enough. I sometimes wish I had it honestly.

Corvair's were like a tank in the snow, seriously. We lived on a nasty hill that in bad winters few folks could make it up that hill. More than once on a school snow day I would watch the old man come plowing up that hill just like it was dry in his little Corvair. The only other vehicle I saw make it up the hill that day was a Jeep....
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »
I had two or four of them over the years. Dang people kept offering me profits to sell them. Hard to turn down more then doubling your money.
Tool do job = Good tool
When the media is owned by those who believe they have the right to choose leaders, and also believe that only the rich have the right to make decisions, the media ceases to be an objective reporting tool, and becomes an instrument of criminal conspiracy.
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux

Offline tool hunter

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:18:05 PM »
My dad owned one in the very early 60's. It was his idea of the mid-life crisis car at the time.
Mine also. A little later and for the same reason and a spider no less.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
John, that corvair has a nice stance.  I like it.  My neighbor growing up had 2.  And early 4 door and later model 2 door.  Cool cars.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 02:09:53 AM »
My mother had one when I was little.  I don't remember it but I've seen it in pictures.  She had a Nash Metropolitan too that she loved.  She had a thing for quirky cars because she also owned a VW Karmen Ghia.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline bmwrd0

• Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »
I used to drive a '63 coupe. It was actually my first wife's, but once my son was born she drove the a wagon. She had it when we met, and I fell in love with it. Great engine. She kept in the divorce, but I have always thought about picking another one up.
Aaron

Guns and Books and Tools

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »

Tags: