Author Topic: Oil Filters  (Read 1620 times)

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
Re: Oil Filters
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
The issue that scares me the most from fram is they stamp the shell from much thinner metal than OEM and quality aftermarket. I've pulled many filters with nasty rock dents in the sides. I'd rather see a dent than a hole and all the oil pumped out.

Greyson

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »
Just go over and nose around Bob is the oil guy a bit and you will find everything you need to know out about Fram.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »
You might find Merk there too lolx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
You might find Merk there too lolx

Quite likely.  :))

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Just go over and nose around Bob is the oil guy a bit and you will find everything you need to know out about Fram.

I've been there and there are a lot of people who talk without knowing anything over there.
Lots of BS info mixed with some good info.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 09:40:46 PM »

I've been there and there are a lot of people who talk without knowing anything over there.

Oh, OK, I thought they were better than that. You can take it to the bank that Fram is not a good filter though. That much you can trust Bruce. And if I did not know better I would not tell you that!  ;)

Offline bonneyman

• Knows what a screwdriver is
  • A workman is worthy of his wages
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 10:51:21 PM »
The Toyota had this shorty little filter which an oil lube place said could be swapped out for the model used on the Ford V-8. A Fram PH8A.

Been using the larger filter ever since. Though I'm leaning toward switching to K&M as their filter has a 1" hex welded on the bottom so you can use a ratchet and socket to get it off. Less slipping that a banded wrench. 3X the cost, though. angryguyx

Have seen this flexible magnet sheath that supposedly grabs steel particles that get through the media and holds them in the canister till you change the filter. You then swap the mag sheath over to the new filter. Got 240,000 miles without it, so, I've not sprung for it yet.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 12:55:40 AM »

Oh, OK, I thought they were better than that. You can take it to the bank that Fram is not a good filter though. That much you can trust Bruce. And if I did not know better I would not tell you that!  ;)

I trust you UB.  Next oil change I'll probably be using Purolator or Wix.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Chuck Farley

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:38 AM »
NAPA Gold filters are actually WIX at about half the price.  Has same part # and all.  Those are what I use on everything in my driveway

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 01:46:44 AM »
The Toyota had this shorty little filter.

Yeah when I was cross referencing the Kohler filter for my mower the purolator number sounded familiar scratchhead Same as my girlfriends 4runner lolx

Been using the larger filter ever since. Though I'm leaning toward switching to K&M as their filter has a 1" hex welded on the bottom so you can use a ratchet and socket to get it off. Less slipping that a banded wrench. 3X the cost, though. angryguyx

If you've got access to the bottom of the filter, and always use the same brand, see if you can find one of those cup filter wrenches that'll fit. Probably cost less than a K&N filter.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • Location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 04:50:44 AM »
... Though I'm leaning toward switching to K&M as their filter has a 1" hex welded on the bottom so you can use a ratchet and socket to get it off. Less slipping that a banded wrench. 3X the cost, though. angryguyx ...

I don't tighten them much beyond a 1/4 turn after they contact the base. I can remove them by hand they don't leak or come loose. I do moisten the rubber gasket with a couple drops of oil and fill them as much as possible before install.

As to numbers I use what the factory recommended or Wix. I don't know enough about all the characteristics to know what's safe to use and what's not beyond that.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »
NAPA Gold filters are actually WIX at about half the price.  Has same part # and all.  Those are what I use on everything in my driveway

And the no name Pro-Tec filters are also Wix but even cheaper than the Napa ones at roughly $20 for a dozen of them!

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »

I'm sure there is some good info there, but good luck sorting it out of all the nonsense.  panicx frustratedx :groaner:

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
I also gave up on Fram years ago.  I went by weight, they were lighter then premium brands.  Lighter to me meant less media inside.

I'm far from expert here, but while your logic on media content might be correct, I would think that more media also results in a higher pressure drop between inlet and outlet which could lead to failure if below designed specs.

Or I could be out to lunch!

Crap, now you blew my theory lolx  Makes me wonder is oil pressure as reported on the dash gauge measured before or after the filter. 

Actually, I don't care as I get high mileage on all my junk before it leaves and just haven't had an issue with oil related failures.  So I will say, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  That is also why I never update my smart phone panicx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline stokester

• Airhead Aficionado
    • Classic VW Radios
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »
I have always preferred the OEM filters, AC_Delco, Motorcraft and Toyota for my cars and truck but have used Wix as a preferred alternative until today.

Usually I get a filter from work for my daughter's Saturn but forgot and needed one for the Sunday oil change so I bought a Wix.  Very disappointed to find that they are now made in China and are "Designed by Wix..."
_Nick
vwradios.com

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »