Author Topic: My actual daily drivers (My wife won't let me drive her car)  (Read 576 times)

Offline showme

My actual daily drivers (My wife won't let me drive her car)
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »
'51 Chevy 3100, '03 Indian Chief

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: My actual daily drivers (My wife won't let me drive her car)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
Nice fleet -- the truck is gorgeous!

Welcome to the GG

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
WOW, you entered with a big splash! Great looking stuff you have there and WELCOME!  beerdude
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline tool hunter

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
Nice stuff. Always liked those Chevy trucks. Wish I still had mine.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:12:53 PM »
Greetings from rainy Oregon.

That's a fine rig you've got there. Those old Advance Design GM pickups were some of the sweetest built. I had a 1950 GMC 1/2 ton long bed that I drove in high school. I bought it at a yard sale completely taken apart and put it back together. Like everybody says, I was a fool to get rid of it.

Greyson

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »
Digging them both :mr:
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:25:08 PM »
Greetings from rainy Oregon.

That's a fine rig you've got there. Those old Advance Design GM pickups were some of the sweetest built. I had a 1950 GMC 1/2 ton long bed that I drove in high school. I bought it at a yard sale completely taken apart and put it back together. Like everybody says, I was a fool to get rid of it.

Greyson

I agree, that said, top end on those old timers was about 50 MPH and to do that you were really wound up tight! But talk about carrying a load. I once drove one of those old trucks to a farmers field loaded cab high with bags of something that was to be applied to the field. The farmer had added sideboards to the bed allowing him to stack even with the top of the cab. That truck was not squatted down an inch, sat there at the same ride height as it was unloaded! Drove the same loaded as it did empty and the top speed seemed about the same as well!

I would love to have one of those trucks though.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
Nice machines!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »
Flat black looks good on that old chevy. What's uner the hood?

Offline showme

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
Hey, folks, Happy New Year to you all, and sorry it's taken me so long to get back and say thank you for your replies! I thought I had set this account up to get email notices of replies, but I guess I did something wrong. I'm a card carrying geezer, so I blame that on my techno-illiteracy. Anyway, this '51 3100 (half ton) is my 'retirement truck', as my first truck as a young man in my 20's was also a '51. Always told my wife that I wanted another one when I retire. She asked why in the world would I want something that only goes 55mph, and I told her that when I retire from the Ironworkers, I won't care how fast it goes! After years of fighting rush hour traffic to get to St. Louis for work, I won't be in a hurry, won't get any speeding tickets, and will only worry about why people behind me AREN'T passing me! Besides, I can get 60-65mph- (if I'm going down hill with a tail wind, that is!)  I bought it just the way it looks with only 5k on a professionally rebuilt '56 235 engine which replaced a 216, and a thousand miles on the tires. The gentleman who owned it for 3 decades before me was the owner/mechanic of a shop that also restored old model A's, so it was road worthy when I bought it for $5000--(original sticker price in 1951?? $1,243 msrp!!) Didn't realize that back then, the heater was an option!! Plus, I got 4 or 5 tubs of old and new parts, to boot. It still has vacuum wipers, a foot pedal starter and a generator that I've had the pleasure to rebuild (my first!). I've got 19,960 miles on it now, and since the heater works great, I think I'll take it out and turn over 20k miles this fine (2 degrees) new years day. Down the road, I plan to dismantle it, weld in new steel where the rust bugs have eaten it a bit, then paint it from the frame up and restore it to it's earlier glory. Either red or silver, since I get that question a lot. (No, they weren't original colors, but that's ok.)
  I was really confused when I first got it, and many fella's at gas stations would groan and say NO! when I told them of my repaint plans. They said I should leave it the way it is. I was unaware of this 'rat rod' craze at that time. Had no idea that rusty, multi colored beaters were in style. Also, to not "ruin" a good near original truck, it will NOT get a V8, automatic tranny, disc brakes or a Frankensteined frame! But I am planning on replacing the gears in the rear differential to up the highway speed to a comfortable 65mph. without it screaming like a jet engine.

I really like the long bed on that GMC, Uncle Buck! It's perfect for a side mount spare tire! I ditched my under bed tire carrier to add a custom receiver hitch, so any flat tire will be a call to AAA, but I can pull my welder, bike or kayaks at least.

The "03 Indian Chief is a "gift" from my wife, Verla. She found it on craigslist after I got my comp settlement. It was a trade in at a car dealer in Joplin, MO, and although it sold for about $26k new, they let me have it for $8,500 with only 7,400 miles (10 years old and garage kept with an average of 740 miles a year.) The dealership wanted it out of their showroom before winter arrived. Plus, they gave me a full tank of gas, an inspection and a 30 day temporary license to get it back across the state of Missouri. And this was with all the extra's already on it, plus a windshield. Back when these still were built in Gilroy, CA, it was one of the last built (July 2003) before Indian moved to NC. I love it, and what's really strange is that I can ride all day, but it doesn't make my back, neck etc hurt. Thanks again for the replies. And, yes, it's true. My wife won't let me drive her 2007 Buick Lacrosse. But she lets me work on it if something goes wrong with it!  Here are pics of my three old Advanced Designs over the years- a '51 half ton/'50 3/4 ton /and my "new" 51 half ton.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:17:31 PM by showme »

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »
That second picture (white truck)  8) Is that you in the pictures?
-Matt
"I believe that the best possible social program is a job." -Ronald Regan

Offline showme

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:33 AM »
That's me. My daughter is now 33, so that sort of tells you how long ago that was. The blue trailer behind us was the first "home" that we bought, which was a 12x60 Skyliner, for $2,000. I was about 27. Didn't have either the truck or the trailer very long. That old 3/4 ton was slower than the '51 half ton I wrecked before it. (Hit a patch of ice and rolled the '51) But, yeah, that's me before the grey attacked me. I'm not so well colored these days. My wife and I on our "new year's ride" to the Mississippi River, about 20 minutes away, at Crystal City boat dock. (Last year, not this year. It was close close to zero this year. (Maybe this week, though??)

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »
Looks like your Mrs and my Mrs have one thing in common, they aged better then you and I :))
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline showme

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »
Looks like your Mrs and my Mrs have one thing in common, they aged better then you and I :))

Hahaha! Thanks, but to be honest, she's 5 years younger than me. And she is beautiful!

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »