Author Topic: E-Type heater box -- FINISHED!!  (Read 9811 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
E-Type heater box -- FINISHED!!
« on: June 25, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »
These things always are rust buckets. They just take so much abuse, and are so hard to service properly that they literally rust from the inside out.

I disassembled this thing in a previous thread -- what a mess!! -- Gross!!!!

http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=368.0

The motor works fine -- just needs some "love" and paint

The core was cleaned with caustic oven cleaner and will get refurbished  -- BTW -- Oven cleaner works great on these things; just don't leave it on too long.

The duct will get removed and repainted -- BUT "Thank God!" for blast cabinets. Doing it by hand with sandpaper would have taken hours. Here it is after only 10 minutes of blasting; it's almost clean on the outside. The entire job (inside and outside) took 30 minutes.

In the end it just needed some cleaning with lacquer thinner; then hit with paint.

Nice hot day and the Tractor Supply Valspar Farm Implement paint just flows --

The motor is next -- needs to be taken apart, cleaned and painted

Done for today! Have to get Mrs. Goodfellow from a Dr's appointment and get ready to watch the new Barrett-Jackson this afternoon.

Looking forward to a great weekend in the garage -- beerdude
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:08:35 PM by goodfellow »

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
  • Have Tools Will Travel. Wire Torqueman. SE MI
Re: E-Type heater box --
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:21:36 PM »
As usual, great thread and pictures!

Here's to a good weekend.  beerdrink
I am a Blockhead, Man! http://tinyurl.com/CM-Block-Grinders-Why-the-Fuss

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

"Well, I don't wanna be a superman, I just wanna go somewhere, use my hands, and keep it simple. Oh real simple" - Keb' Mo'

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: E-Type heater box --
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
This Smiths heater motor is a great example of a rebuildable unit. It was making a distinctive "whirring" noise -- (usually due to lack of lubrication and dirt). The Jag parts houses will charge a fortune for a new or even rebuilt unit, so I decided to do it on the "cheap" --

In most cases, the only thing that wears are the brushes -- the shaft bushings are almost always in good condition, so there is no need to replace.

I stripped eveything and took the brush cluster out

The brushes and armature was worn, so I replaced the brushes -- but what brushes? If you get power tools these days, there is almost always a spare set of brushes included in the package.

These brushes were from a cheap HF 4" grinder -- I just clip the contact leads and use just a little bit of emery cloth to shape them to size; all a matter of 15 minutes work. The I solder them up to the existing contacts. They work perfectly for these small Bristish motors.

The armature gets a light sanding with 150 grit paper and we're good to go with a continuity check.

All the housings and mounts were sanded or blasted and repainted in gloss black. Even the original "Smiths" decal was saved and reused

The motor was spinning without problem in the refurbished housing -- and no "whirring"  noise.

Instead of the OEM grommet supported rivets, I chose to use small nuts in order to make future repair easier -- not OEM, but less headaches down the road

The mounting plate was blasted and repainted -- it was very corroded, but came out looking respectable

The resistor was re-riveted in place and two new power leads were added.

The cage was cleaned in solvent to loosen overspray paint and dirt --

Almost done -- now I just need to clean and paint the ducting mechanism

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:52:10 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Itzkwik

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: E-Type heater box -- UPDATED!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:52:30 PM »
Ray, what I wouldn't give to have your patience for the small details. Great work.
Bret

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks Bret -- It's the small things that always take the most time.

Offline Itzkwik

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
It's the small things that always take the most time.
Lotta truth in those words. ;D
Bret

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »
At this point, while I'm waiting on various engine parts, I tend to work on sub-components and try to finish them off. Last night I finally finished the heater box.

Here are the internals -- all rusty and corroded like the box was a few weeks ago. After a trip to the blast cabinet, the pieces were ready for paint.

One of the biggest issues was how to insulate the heater core. The original foam pieces (see the first post in this thread) were totally rotted away. To make matters worse, OEM foam pieces cost a fortune (over $80) if you can find a kit on e-bay. So I used an old hot rodder trick for insulation -- Swiffer wipes.

Cut them to length using the old pieces as a template and use a few dabs of silicone sealer on the ends to hold them down. This Swiffer material works better and lasts longer than foam -- so if you need to insulate a heater or an underdash component; go with the Swiffer Wipes.

The air intake flap was cleaned, painted and reinstalled. This is where good pics from the disassembly come in handy!!

Flapper is installed and now comes the heater core. BTW the heater core was cleaned with DOW oven cleaner and most all of the gunk was washed away using that process.

The linkages were cleaned, painted and put in place with the appropriate hardware.

Finally the motor was centered and the covers were fitted --

Done!! This heater box isn't perfect. Even OEM boxes had bad paint, but this box had major rust damage and it does show some pitting. However, it beats having to pay $1200 for a new unit. Besides, this will be a driver; not a show queen.

Time for an adult beverage !!  beerdude

EDIT: Of all people, my wife made mention that when we used to drive this car, a lot of dust and debris used to get blown into the car through the vents, and so she asked if I could install a filter in the box somehow.

Great idea!!!!  -- the filter should also keep the heater core matrix free of dust and debris; thereby making it more efficient. So I just went back to my Swiffer pads and seperated the bottom layer. It's thin enough to allow good airflow, and can be readily replaced if/when it gets clogged.

Mrs. Goodfellow -- you should come out to the shop more often !!!!

Here is the heater core and the outer (thin) layer of the Swiffer pad removed to act as a filter. This will get fastened to the fornt of the heater core with just a dab of slicone on each end.     ----- Works Great!!!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:34:13 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Brophy

• Stupid Hippie
Re: E-Type heater box -- FINISHED!!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
Swiffer wipes....brilliant!!!

A fine job once again GF. I have a heater box in similar condition pulled out of my MG that I should be getting to....if I can ever stop aligning the damned body panels!!

Rob
Welcome to Canada...STAY OUT OF THE PASSING LANE!

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 08:45:33 PM »
Good luck with that panel alignment Rob. That work can drive you crazy -- it's never completely right and at one point you just have to say "good enough".

Offline e-tek

• Resto-geek
    • E-tek Racing & Restorations
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 07:28:26 PM »
Goodfellow you'reSTILL the reason I spend so much time here!!! You really should post all this to your own website. Bet it'd get many thousands of hits: you could reach and teach many more people, even make money on google-ads!

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »
........ even make money on google-ads!

Now you tell me!!!  ;)

Thanks for the kind words Ed, much appreciated  :-*

Offline Jagrick

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »
Goodfellow--hopefully you are still out there and monitoring the thread.
I am starting a resto on a '62 FHC e-type. On the heater, I have restored some, rebuild the motor and have figured out the wiring except how the triple lucas connector in used to join the two wires to the resistor for high and low speed. ANy info pictures would help. ALso currently starting a '45 MB/GP jeep and an MGA is under work as well-Thanks- Rick sctatcherhead sctatcherhead

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
Goodfellow--hopefully you are still out there and monitoring the thread.
I am starting a resto on a '62 FHC e-type. On the heater, I have restored some, rebuild the motor and have figured out the wiring except how the triple lucas connector in used to join the two wires to the resistor for high and low speed. ANy info pictures would help. ALso currently starting a '45 MB/GP jeep and an MGA is under work as well-Thanks- Rick sctatcherhead sctatcherhead

LOL ---Starting an E-Type resto; my condolences!!!

I looked through my photo stash, but couldn't find anything special about the hookup. I'll keep looking and hope to find an answer for you  ---

Good luck with the car. Please post a few pics -- older E-Types are much more fun to restore than the later series II cars.

Offline Jagrick

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 10:33:25 PM »
I think I see the solution. The black wire is the ground and the greens with strips are the high speed and low speed from switch through or bypassing the resistor. Nice clear pictures helped. I will post some. This is a transition series 1 as it has some early items-one rear hub has a water thrower and the other doesn't, etc. I have it on the rotisserie/jig now and am replacing the sills and floor, boot floor, etc. Just got in new engine frames and a new bonnet. At first a lot of the construction seems complex, but can be reasoned thropugh. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I will-Thanks, Rick

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 09:24:50 AM »
I post pics through Photobucket.  Hold you mouse arrow over the pic and a box drops down, left click on the bottom option, image I think, and it will copy, then paste here.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 09:24:50 AM »