Author Topic: my new toy.  (Read 18528 times)

Offline mustanggarage

Re: my new toy.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 02:26:18 AM »
during the interior restoration.

after the upholstery and carpet, floor mats.  etc.

center console

with the boot on.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 02:27:55 AM »
I need to get it out and get it washed and take a few nice pictures of it outside now.  if it ever stops raining here that is.

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 02:51:34 AM »
When I was 16 my dad bought me a 91 LX 5.0, same color as that one. Those were tough cars. I ran the dog shit out of it and when I sold it, it ran just as good. Lots of good memories in that car.
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »
I finally got around to painting the new hood.  I painted it and got a lot of orange peel in it again, so I took it over to custom body and sound here in town that I have worked with a lot over the years and asked them to help me wet sand it out.  they did and then clear coated it.  it turned out pretty well.  CW says I need to wait a bit and then color sand it, but the rest of the car has far from perfect paint so I think I will just leave it alone until I paint the whole thing.  I also took a dent out of the drivers side door and repainted it.  I messed it up at first but talking with CW I discovered the main thing I was doing wrong was not putting the first coat down heavy enough, so I was putting it on too dry I guess.  anyway the second time I put it on heavier and it turned out pretty well.  not perfect but again pretty adequate.  I am pretty happy with the appearance overall.  I am going to have a vinyl decal made to put on the fake opening to look like the mesh that goes in some scoops.  I don't want to cut it out and make it functional for several reasons.  the biggest is the dirt road I live on it will just make keeping the engine clean that much harder.  so anyway this is how it looks currently.

Offline Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
Nice,       beerdude
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Online fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »
So are you still enjoying driving it?  If so, and especially if you live on a dirt road, no sense in making it perfect.  Make it safe, fun and 10 feet nice and drive it and enjoy it!!
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
Yes that is pretty much the way I feel about it as we'll if I make it too nice I won't want to drive it.  So for now I am going to keep it as a nice driver.

Offline Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:36 PM »
You have a nugget of gold, keep it a few years and you will see what I mean.    :mr:
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Offline bonneyman

• Knows what a screwdriver is
  • A workman is worthy of his wages
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 10:56:21 PM »
X2 I'd be proud to have that as a daily driver! thumbsup2

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
the annual car show in my small town is this weekend.  while I know this car is not a show car I have done so much to it I want to show it off a bit, so I am going to put it in the show anyway.  so I cleaned it up good tonight.  put the new taillights on it and put the decal on the hood.  so here are a couple more pictures.

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 06:09:50 AM »
Nice looking car and even nicer shop.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
well it is happening again.  I just can't leave good enough alone.  I have had a leaking rear main seal in this car since Dad bought it.  It runs really well and I had planned to leave the engine pretty stock.....but in order to replace the rear main seal I will have to either pull the engine or transmission.  since I need to do that and the engine has 135000 miles on it I might as well rebuild it.  and if I am going to rebuild it maybe I ought to build it up a bit make it a bit more fun, and heck if I am going to do that it would be fun to build a stroker engine. I have never done that.  well that is my thinking so I am going to start planning and collecting parts.  this winter I will plan to pull the engine and do it.  I decided to use a stock cobra intake to keep the underhood appearance looking stock.  since I have done several other cobra themed changes I think that will work well. so here is the intake I bought off ebay.  it was just delivered tonight.

I will use some aftermarket aluminum heads.  I have decided to build a 331 stroker as opposed to the 347 because the 331 has a rod ratio that is almost the same as stock and the compression ratio will be 9.21 :1 so I can still run 87 octane fuel.  this combination should give me a nice boost in horsepower and torque and if I choose the cam properly it should not sacrifice driveability.

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 01:16:25 AM »
What you need to go along with that is a hard shifting transmission that'll chirp 2nd and 3rd.

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »
It needs side pipes thumbsup2
Living in a van, under a bridge, down by the river

Think about it ..........?

Online fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
Mustang, you are not good at leaving things alone :POKIE:  Not even close!! lolx

What you are good at is getting after a project and getting it done and done nicely.

Can't wait to see the progress!!
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »

Tags: