Author Topic: Better drill bits  (Read 1083 times)

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
Re: Better drill bits
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 07:07:02 AM »
I have these drill bits, and they are very nice. Been to damn busy to photograph them but i have not forgotten.

Greg
Living in a van, under a bridge, down by the river

Think about it ..........?

Offline twertsy

• Super Hero
    • The Tool Archives
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
I swear by the Norseman. 
ToolArchives.com - Researching and Documenting the history of hand tools, tool boxes and manufacturers.

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 07:00:28 AM »
I swear by the Norseman.

I think they are over rated, one step above the standard bits sold buy Northern tool. Good bits for a wood worker and handy Andy. Not so hot for regular metal work or the machinist.

I could go on but not going to bother.

Greg

Offline twertsy

• Super Hero
    • The Tool Archives
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 07:09:36 AM »
I swear by the Norseman.

I think they are over rated, one step above the standard bits sold buy Northern tool. Good bits for a wood worker and handy Andy. Not so hot for regular metal work or the machinist.

I could go on but not going to bother.

Greg

I still have every single bit in the index I bought 4-5 years ago at Fastenall, every one still sharp and not a single one has touched wood, all metal.  I use lower grade bits for wood if I need them.  They have punched alot of metal including body frames, frame stiffeners, brace plates for my mezzanine, every body panel on my Goat, etc......  Still cut like butter, but I do use Boelube on the bits for every cut as a cutting fluid, maybe that's it.
ToolArchives.com - Researching and Documenting the history of hand tools, tool boxes and manufacturers.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
Hmmm... I need some good metal drill bits that don't cost a fortune.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 10:56:59 PM »

Most worth having will not come cheap. Quality bits unlike other tool purchases are not really often found used that are worth having at low prices. That said, sometimes you can luck out and find quality drill bits priced cheap in pawn shops that are not very tool wise. Short of lucking out that way I think you will do alright as long as you stick to better brand names, many of which have been hotly disputed above. Personally I have used Triumph, Norseman, Chicago Latrobe or CL, and Greenfield and never had a complaint with any of them.

I started with a fractional 29 piece set that went to 1/2" first. At that time Sears still sold a decent set and not absolute crap which would not be the case these days. Later I added sets of number, then letter bits as time went by. For most folks I think a quality set of fractional bits would suffice for most needs. Honestly, I would probably have been fine never buying letter and number bits though I have used bits from each set a few times. Count on spending most of $100 for a quality 29 piece set of fractional bits these days. The expense is worth it as long as you take good care of your bits they will likely outlast you!

Additional bits that can really be a lifesaver are long aircraft bits (often most of a foot long) Worth finding at surplus centers. I found mine in Wichita at the surplus places selling surplus tool cutters and the like from the aircraft manufacturers down there. No worries about the quality, all that stuff was high quality.

Often I will still buy bits used for dirt cheap prices, maybe 2-3 bucks for a can at a sale. Pick through and keep the good stuff and throw the clunkers in my carpentry box where cheap crap is often good enough to get the job done when drilling wood.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 12:42:34 AM »

Most worth having will not come cheap. Quality bits unlike other tool purchases are not really often found used that are worth having at low prices. That said, sometimes you can luck out and find quality drill bits priced cheap in pawn shops that are not very tool wise. Short of lucking out that way I think you will do alright as long as you stick to better brand names, many of which have been hotly disputed above. Personally I have used Triumph, Norseman, Chicago Latrobe or CL, and Greenfield and never had a complaint with any of them.

I started with a fractional 29 piece set that went to 1/2" first. At that time Sears still sold a decent set and not absolute crap which would not be the case these days. Later I added sets of number, then letter bits as time went by. For most folks I think a quality set of fractional bits would suffice for most needs. Honestly, I would probably have been fine never buying letter and number bits though I have used bits from each set a few times. Count on spending most of $100 for a quality 29 piece set of fractional bits these days. The expense is worth it as long as you take good care of your bits they will likely outlast you!

Additional bits that can really be a lifesaver are long aircraft bits (often most of a foot long) Worth finding at surplus centers. I found mine in Wichita at the surplus places selling surplus tool cutters and the like from the aircraft manufacturers down there. No worries about the quality, all that stuff was high quality.

Often I will still buy bits used for dirt cheap prices, maybe 2-3 bucks for a can at a sale. Pick through and keep the good stuff and throw the clunkers in my carpentry box where cheap crap is often good enough to get the job done when drilling wood.

$100 isn't  bad at all for a decent set of bits. Right now all I have is a set of Ryobi bits and a few good bits  I've bought individually over the years.
The crappy bits are fine for wood but I do a lot of drilling in metal and right now I mostly use a set of stepped bits I bout awhile ago. They work great but can't do everything.

Bruce.

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »
Bruce,

Here look over these, used with cutting oil should work just fine for you.  1/16 - 1/2
https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/hi-molybdenum-29-pc-drill-bit-set-jobber.html

Milwaukee and others sell this same bundle ........ ^

I buy this type of set cause I drill and tap. This very set I just replaced after a number of years of usage. They can be sharpened and hold an edge well when used with cutting oil.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200635783_200635783

To much pressure and speed a drill bit does not like. Example if using a battery hand drill, fast setting:1/4 and below: Low setting, 1/4 - 1/2

Ballpark info, keeping an eye on the way the bit is cutting and dial in as needed. My drill press is set on the lowest speed for most of what I do.

Greg

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
Thanks Greg, I'll check those out.
I also keep my drill press at the lowest speed and try to use cutting oil but sometimes I get in hurry and don't.
I'm pretty good at sharpening on the bench grinder (my father taught me when I was a kid) but I wonder if
Those drill doctors are any good. Any experience with them?

Bruce.

Bruce.

Offline kwoswalt99

• Super Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
Thanks Greg, I'll check those out.
I also keep my drill press at the lowest speed and try to use cutting oil but sometimes I get in hurry and don't.
I'm pretty good at sharpening on the bench grinder (my father taught me when I was a kid) but I wonder if
Those drill doctors are any good. Any experience with them?

Bruce.

I've never used a DD, but whenever I've seen someone use one, they always mess it up. lolx
WARNING: Not a professional.

Online slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 07:21:04 PM »
I've got an older drill doctor and its kinda hit or miss with it. 3/8 and up I'm better off sharpening by hand but smaller ones sometimes come out better with the DD. but sometimes they come out like crap. I haven't got a lot of faith in the DD, but it could just be operator error. shrugx
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 07:53:05 PM »
I've got an older drill doctor and its kinda hit or miss with it. 3/8 and up I'm better off sharpening by hand but smaller ones sometimes come out better with the DD. but sometimes they come out like crap. I haven't got a lot of faith in the DD, but it could just be operator error. shrugx

+ 1 -- Smaller bits are more difficult to sharpen on a bench grinder, hence the Drill Dr. works very well. Larger bits I sharpen by hand on the bench grinder. The secret to using the Drill Dr. is to properly align the flutes in the guides. The instructions don't emphasize this step and most people will not read the instruction manual or watch the CD movie to find the answer. 

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »

+ 1 -- Smaller bits are more difficult to sharpen on a bench grinder, hence the Drill Dr. works very well. Larger bits I sharpen by hand on the bench grinder. The secret to using the Drill Dr. is to properly align the flutes in the guides. The instructions don't emphasize this step and most people will not read the instruction manual or watch the CD movie to find the answer.

+ 1 The flutes alignment is key, also the stop that the bit rest against when held by the flutes is important. It has an adjustment. Discovered that watching the site video. This is a trick I use to get the flutes aligned. With the bit in the holder. Sung the bit to remove the slop side to side, however free enough to easily spin the bit with your fingers.

Open the flute grabber and close down on the flute. Push in and rotate the holder into position. Once in position, rotate the holder to increase the holding grip on the bit.

All set, go to the sharping hole count the turns and use care to end on an even number of turns. You will notice the sound of the cuts decrease as the bit is sharpened.

I use the DD on 3/4 and down 1/8 is about as small as I go ........... Why a DD, cause I cannot or do not want to bench grind, plus I would need a third bench grinder. The DD is compact and lives next to the DP.

The thing is so easy to use, keeps a bit cutting like it was new cork screw chips. It is so easy, if drilling and a bit goes dull in the middle of a job, chips look like chips. Wipe the bit, remove the cutting oil, mineral, sprites will work,  touch it up with the DD.

Have the DD 15 years, only other heads up would be watch for the diamond wheels to go on sale about 50 off. How many have I replaced 1.

Cheers,
Greg

DD explained:
http://www.drilldoctor.com/how-to-videos/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:00:32 AM by pepi »

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »

Tags: