Author Topic: Craftsman drill press refurb  (Read 323 times)

Offline bl00

Re: Craftsman drill press refurb
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
How did you clean that column?

I put it in the lathe and used sandpaper.  Some of the corrosion was pretty deep and there are still some deep pits and scratches.  I didn't want the column to end up 1/16" smaller in diameter, so the goal was just to remove most of it and make it look decent.

Center it between a 3 or 4 jaw chuck at the headstock and a bull nose center at the tailstock? Running it through a steady rest would leave an annular ring so I cannot imagine you used that on the outboard end.

It was too long to use the tailstock.   I ended up using a black rubber bungee in a loop around the outboard end.  This was hanging from a longer bungee that attached to a shelf above the lathe.  A squirt of oil every few minutes kept it slippery.  I took pics when I was working on it, but have no idea where they went.  Probably on a micro SD card in the sofa cushions.

Offline bl00

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
Then the employees were moving it and I heard a crash and found the DP on the floor in pieces. :'(

I bet a lot of drill presses have died this way.

Online DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »
Then the employees were moving it and I heard a crash and found the DP on the floor in pieces. :'(

I bet a lot of drill presses have died this way.

The riggers who moved my stuff from storage to the new shop said lathes, vertical bandsaws and drill presses are the most dropped and busted machines. It only takes one busted machine to make the cost of the riggers seem cheap. I paid riggers 3 times to get the machines and forklift from our business to storage to our shop.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
How did you clean that column?

I put it in the lathe and used sandpaper.  Some of the corrosion was pretty deep and there are still some deep pits and scratches.  I didn't want the column to end up 1/16" smaller in diameter, so the goal was just to remove most of it and make it look decent.

Center it between a 3 or 4 jaw chuck at the headstock and a bull nose center at the tailstock? Running it through a steady rest would leave an annular ring so I cannot imagine you used that on the outboard end.

It was too long to use the tailstock.   I ended up using a black rubber bungee in a loop around the outboard end.  This was hanging from a longer bungee that attached to a shelf above the lathe.  A squirt of oil every few minutes kept it slippery.  I took pics when I was working on it, but have no idea where they went.  Probably on a micro SD card in the sofa cushions.

Oh my, letting it ride in a steady rest does not sound bad at all now!  :o
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »

Tags: