Author Topic: Shop of an older friend  (Read 325 times)

Offline eborcim

• Hunt and peck king
Shop of an older friend
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
Pics are of a shop owned by some older friends (early 80's).  He and his wife built a 4000 sq ft house and 50x80 ft shop ~10 years ago.  It was quite an undertaking, but he had the money and wanted his dream shop and house.  He was a Ford and antique part collector for 60 years and liked to drive his cars regularly. Recently as last year he had 12-15 Ford/Mercury products running around.  3 baby birds, 3 60's Mustangs, a 69 Cougar, a Model A, a Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, a 53 Mercury Wagon, and at least 3 modern vehicles.  Last spring he was diagnosed with early onset dementia and the couple made the decision to start process on moving to a retirement village.  It wasn't an easy decision, because he was as active at the time as he had ever been.  I was asked along with his kids and other friends to help disperse some of the items.  We took a lot of parts and tools went to three swap meets last year and he moved quite a bit of stuff.  Other selected collectors and business people were allowed to peruse and buy from the collection of parts.  A lot of it (paper and a lot of used parts) that no one was interested in were recycled or disposed.  He sold two cars the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser and the Mercury Wagon.  The remaining vintage cars were dispersed among his kids.  If you can imagine the building was full, but organized like a dealership, with racks of parts, engines transmissions, and parts on the walls.  One wall had over a hundred wheel covers from his collection.

So this is where it stands today.  Pretty cleaned out as they just listed the place this week.  Dementia has not helped him deal with this, but it's time and he knows it.  His kids all have their own shops if he needs to tinker.  Attached are some pics of the shop.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Shop of an older friend
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »
What a great place -- what I wouldn't give to have space like that. Hopefully some day -- God willing!

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
That's a damn nice shop. it sucks that we work all our lives to get to a point where we can afford the time and money to pursue our hobbies, Then the body/mind starts playing out.

I've got an elderly friend, late 80s, who's going blind. I run his cattle now and every Friday we go eat lunch and go "look" over his cows. I'll even get one of his old tractors out and let him drive around the place :-\ It can make for exciting times. thumbsup2
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline eborcim

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »
What a great place -- what I wouldn't give to have space like that. Hopefully some day -- God willing!

$645,000 will get you that shop.  They will throw in the house and 29 acres of trees for free!

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »

$645,000 will get you that shop.  They will throw in the house and 29 acres of trees for free!

Mrs GF and I will have to take time off this fall to go look at retirement properties. Unfortunately, some years ago I made her a promise that she could have a place on a lake. Trying to keep that promise and getting a good shop built without the interference of an HOA is going to take some work.

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »
Shop envy for sure.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Der Bugmeister's Aircooled Place
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »

Mrs GF and I will have to take time off this fall to go look at retirement properties. Unfortunately, some years ago I made her a promise that she could have a place on a lake. Trying to keep that promise and getting a good shop built without the interference of an HOA is going to take some work.

29 acres...digging a lake might be easier ;-)

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
That makes me feel sad.
My wife asked me why a carry a gun in the house. I said "decepticons", she laughed, I laughed and the toaster laughed.
I shot the toaster.

Bruce.

Offline eborcim

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »

29 acres...digging a lake might be easier ;-)
lolx

Offline Rewind

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
B-E-A-utiful shop!!! Glad he got to enjoy it a few years. Someone will be very lucky to have that.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »
We all know things will change eventually.   But real glad he got to build it and enjoy it for ten years.  I can just imagine how proud of it he was. 

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
Would love that shop

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »

Tags: