Author Topic: 1/4" Drive Box Sets (a rogue's gallery)  (Read 109963 times)

Offline CRTDI

Re: 1/4" Drive Box Sets (a rogue's gallery)
« Reply #780 on: May 19, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »
Action set.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:38:00 PM by CRTDI »

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #781 on: May 19, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
R.T.E.C. set with an unmarked Plombish looking ratchet.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #782 on: May 19, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
You guys find such cool stuff!  beerdude
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline twertsy

• Super Hero
    • The Tool Archives
« Reply #783 on: May 19, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »

Interesting.  Plombish looking box and wrenches too.  And NB lookin' sockets.....
R.T.E.C. set with an unmarked Plombish looking ratchet.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

ToolArchives.com - Researching and Documenting the history of hand tools, tool boxes and manufacturers.

Online kwoswalt99

• Super Hero
« Reply #784 on: May 19, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »

Interesting.  Plombish looking box and wrenches too.  And NB lookin' sockets.....

A rebranded Craftsman set?  lolx
WARNING: Not a professional.

Offline Private Lugnutz

« Reply #785 on: May 19, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »
CRTDI,

I know of a few other guys, including me, with variations on R.T.E.C. midget sets, all with the 7016 set number label. I see that your sockets are actually marked "R.T.E.C." It's only the second set I've seen like that. bill300d on GJ has a similar set. My set had Walded-Worcester sockets in it, R.T.E.C. mini-pliers, and R.T.E.C. ignition wrenches, and all those tools were all black oxide finish and caked in cosmoline. Other R.T.E.C. sets have been found with CRAFTSMAN (H) midget socket drive pieces in the box with the R.T.E.C. ignition wrenches. I think R.T.E.C. was a Signal Corps supplier and integrator during the KW era. They were located in Camden, the back yard of US Army Signal Corps HQ and across the river from the SC's largest supplier - Sears & Roebuck. But that is just intuition. You can see bill300d’s set and mine and some other info on this thread if you’re interested: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312642

Would you mind telling me what sizes the ignition wrenches are? I am trying to figure out how many they may have made and in what sizes.

Here’s what I have:

1/4 x 15/64
7/32 x 13/64 (x 2)
9/32 x 11/32 (x 3)
3/8 x 5/16

For the longest time I only had one of each, then I kept finding dupes. I’m starting to think that may be it. That would cover all the ignition systems (Delco, Remy, Auto-Lite, Bosch and Eismann), just not as sophisticated as multiple angle (15, 60, 75) sets.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
As long as I am here, I’ll contribute a new set. This set is actually a little to the right of my collecting niche (WWII). I have collected about a dozen wartime 1/4-inch drive sets, mainly Walden-Worcester in Stevens-Waden boxes, Duro-Chrome (“-D-I-”), a few Snap-On, and a recent Plomb. The only set I am passively “working on” right now is a PENENS set from the immediate postwar 'MFD BY' era. It is part of a larger set (entire 1/2-inch drive socket set and DOE wrenches), so I would like to complete it eventually. 

Here it is:

- Ten (10) sockets, 3/16” (1006) to 7/16” (1014), all 6-point except for two special 8-points – 1/4” (1008-S) and 3/8” (1012-S).
- Driver 1063
- Hinge handle 1070

I am looking for the following! If anyone runs into them, please let me know!

- Ratchet 1061
- Sliding Tee 10XX ?
- Extensions 10XX ?

Offline stormking

« Reply #786 on: May 20, 2017, 09:41:02 AM »
Nice sets, I've seen the Action set but never with the label on it.

Offline twertsy

• Super Hero
    • The Tool Archives
« Reply #787 on: May 20, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
I snagged a couple today.  Easco and Snap-On in an unmarked box.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

ToolArchives.com - Researching and Documenting the history of hand tools, tool boxes and manufacturers.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #788 on: May 20, 2017, 09:08:12 PM »

Would you mind telling me what sizes the ignition wrenches are? I am trying to figure out how many they may have made and in what sizes.

Here’s what I have:

1/4 x 15/64
7/32 x 13/64 (x 2)
9/32 x 11/32 (x 3)
3/8 x 5/16

The wrenches I have are the same exact sizes that you have. Really do appreciate the background info on this set. Your little Penens set is sweet... thumbsup2

I'm thinking there might be some styling variations on the ratchet you're seeking. See the Penens ratchet in the Fleet set: http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=10626.30 and the Penens ratchet in the Challenger set: http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=10626.675 The Challenger set ratchet model number is off by a digit. Not sure of the model number in the Fleet set.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:12:23 PM by CRTDI »

Offline Private Lugnutz

« Reply #789 on: May 22, 2017, 06:44:18 AM »
The wrenches I have are the same exact sizes that you have.

Thanks, CRTDI! That is very helpful, confirming my supposition.

I'm thinking there might be some styling variations on the ratchet you're seeking...

I see what you mean. But I think my 10xx set is pre-Challenger/Fleet era. The 1061 ratchet I am looking for looks like a midget version of the 1/2-inch drive ratchet (R-10) I found with 16xx series sockets and handles, and that looks like a Plomb ratchet. Here is an example on The Tools Archive: http://www.toolarchives.com/node/1518

Offline tool hunter

« Reply #790 on: May 22, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »
I had thought I put my R.T.E.C. set up here too but I guess I was wrong. So here it is for those who can't or won't go to the other side.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #791 on: May 22, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »
Those sockets remind me of Meteor brand sockets.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Private Lugnutz

« Reply #792 on: May 22, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »
Those sockets remind me of Meteor brand sockets.

A friend of mine on another board just found an R.T.E.C. box with the same "RTEC" marked sockets and a Bonney ratchet and he pointed out that they look like Bonney sockets.

He has a good point. Here's a set of Bonney V-series sockets from an old set of mine...

But I think the band of knurling is a little wider and the broaching inside the RTEC's much less robust.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:10:30 PM by Private Lugnutz »

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #793 on: May 22, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
I'm thinking there might be some styling variations on the ratchet you're seeking...

I see what you mean. But I think my 10xx set is pre-Challenger/Fleet era. The 1061 ratchet I am looking for looks like a midget version of the 1/2-inch drive ratchet (R-10) I found with 16xx series sockets and handles, and that looks like a Plomb ratchet. Here is an example on The Tools Archive: http://www.toolarchives.com/node/1518

That's very interesting to me as the handle and socket styles in your set look to be identical to both the Fleet and Challenger sets. Perhaps only the ratchet style evolved within these sets over the years.

Offline mudbox

« Reply #794 on: May 22, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
A friend of mine on another board just found an R.T.E.C. box with the same "RTEC" marked sockets and a Bonney ratchet and he pointed out that they look like Bonney sockets.

He has a good point.
But I think the band of knurling is a little wider and the broaching inside the RTEC's much less robust.

Thought I had a good point, but yeah, they're not that close to Bonney.  So I went digging in the stash and did some deeper comparison. 
From left to right, the sockets are:
Williams; Duro D-I; Craftsman U; New Britain; RTEC; SK; Bonney
To my eye, the closest match for the knurling is SK followed by the (U) C-man which is Plomb made.  The knurling on the New Britain is closest to true knurling with no real design, so not a good match at all. 
The broaching in the RTEC was closest to SK as well...

Now the box had me wondering as well, so I went digging again.  Found 2 that are a spot on exact match.  The red box is a post war Plomb, the black box is a wartime New Britain, and the green box is the RTEC box.  Exact same construction, dimensions, and latch.  Wonder who was making them for who?

Finally, pics of my recently acquired Randolph Tool set.

Bonus pic of the Plomb set.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #794 on: May 22, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »

Tags: