Author Topic: I'm bashing GG.  (Read 9838 times)

Offline XaqNautilus

I'm bashing GG.
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
It is a total mistake for me to post this thread, I'm sure.

I read forums a lot from Tapatalk and it usually loads a list of unread threads at first which I usually scroll through. This list usually is tainted by a bunch of GJ/Ryan bashing threads posted either in this forum or an Intro thread. These threads usually take up a quarter of this unread list. Don't quote me on that figure but it's still too much.

I can understand those who are disgruntled with to having a seething hatred for GJ/Ryan but you guys take it to a level that I am starting to distaste seeing all these GJ/Ryan bashing threads.

I get it. Ryan is a no-noing hardass who enforces his policy on his sites. Sometimes he does so unfairly. I know I could never post a similar thread to this over there.

GJ still gets way more traffic than this site and GG needs to make it so the GJ bashing, while still should be allowed, but needs to be CONTAINED

There should be ONE (1) thread in the Bash and Bang section devoted to bashing Ryan/GJ and that's it. If newbs who join only because they've been banned from GJ introduce themselves with a thread bashing Ryan/GJ in the Intro forum, that's their prerogative, but it should be discouraged in some way.

GG is painting itself as a forum that seems to be wholly contained by banned GJ members, whether wrongfully or not.

GG needs to take the high road here and prove that it isn't just the street outside Ryan's bar. Step the no-no up people.

Other than this I think GG is an awesome forum filled with valuable members and content. This forum is easily the better moderated forum out of the two  I really want to see it thrive and eventually be the bigger forum than GJ. It really is nice to have a good laid back forum to kick back on. It also is nice to have a forum where valuable members don't get banned for ridiculous shit. I like it here more than over there.

But put yourself in that newb's shoes who isn't a member of garage/tools forums and comes to check out both forums. Especially from Tapatalk. That is who I was and joined both same time.  On GJ they see a nice forum with tons of content. On GG they see less content which is tainted by GJ bashing. They are going to join both forums and be active on both and they are just going to learn how to not get banned from GJ by the GJ bash threads on GG!!!

Stop the poisoning of this great forum.

I'm sorry I had to be the one to say it, but somebody had to say it.

Please don't ban me.

Online strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Can use hammer
Re: I'm bashing GG.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
No worries Xaq, you speak well.   coffeex

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
Well put! No reason for anyone to get their shorts in kink over that post. Actually it was spot on!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Brian H

• Harnett Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »
 I agree, and said something along these line in another thread some just get an agenda and cant let go.

Its a forum about interests not personal vendettas.

Thanks for articulating it.

Offline atlinwi202

• Livin' the Dream
I'm bashing GG.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »
I second the motion
-Andy

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »
I understand your consternation with the existing format, but we are the de-facto destination for people that have been banned on the GJ. Most show up and want to vent their frustration with the "my way or the highway" management structure that is the GJ. In most all cases, once these new members have had some time to socialize with the GG, their frustrations are quickly forgotten and they integrate very easily into our community.

These last few weeks have seen a large scale migration away from the GJ, and many people felt the need to vent. This has caused many threads to get somewhat overwhelmed with GJ "stories", but that has been the exception not the rule. I can honestly say that all these new members have made the transition to the GG quite successfully, and the number of GJ bashings have been reduced to a mere trickle. Quite an accomplishment in my opinion --

We value each and every new member, but the GG is simply the first destination for frustrated GJ expatriates who need a venue to state their cases. Stick around a bit longer and the place will settle into a very nice and easy rhythm.

Offline american lockpicker

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
We should do less bashing and rants on here and have more raids on Ryans sites. We can say all we want on here and its meaningless. Now if we post annoying stuff on his forums it lets him know we don't like his actions and gets better results(or at least keeps mods and ryan busy and/or pissed off...)

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »
I agree i got bashed a bit for suggesting kind of the same thing but im with you. Time to grow up!
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »
We should do less bashing and rants on here and have more raids on Ryans sites. We can say all we want on here and its meaningless. Now if we post annoying stuff on his forums it lets him know we don't like his actions and gets better results(or at least keeps mods and ryan busy and/or pissed off...)

No offense intended here, but you need to just let GJ go and move on. Open discussion here is welcomed, but I do not want guys planning GJ raids from this site, that is not fair to us here, or GJ. Keep in mind, I was banned over there too, but just let it go man. Really,
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »
It has to be said. Someone didn't do a search.  This has been hashed and rehashed numerous times. Heck I've said it myself. [Leaving out the GJ junk.]

Why is GJ bigger? They have more tool content. The majority of which came from the same members that Ryan drove away. Do a search GJ comes up. Look at the names posting in the threads. It's amazing how many of them are over here now.

Breaks out soapbox.

Folks we are a tool and shop forum at the heart. If people find us by searching they will be looking for tool and shop techniques. Post it up!

If you ask about a tool put the numbers for it in the title and posts. Pictures are great. BUT the search engines can't read them yet! Write the information shown in the picture below it. Plus this helps those of us on phones and low quality monitors.

I have the search engines coming here every day. [Which reminds me I need to submit new sitemaps] Post and post wisely. The more information that people need that is posted here the better we are.

Do you folks know what the most linked to posts on here are? It's Goodfellows Jag series.  Lot's of pretty pictures with explanations near them.

The second most linked are his Sun restorations.

Tool do job = Good tool
When the media is owned by those who believe they have the right to choose leaders, and also believe that only the rich have the right to make decisions, the media ceases to be an objective reporting tool, and becomes an instrument of criminal conspiracy.
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux

Offline XaqNautilus

I'm bashing GG.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 10:38:05 PM »
Well said Rusty!

No offense intended here, but you need to just let GJ go and move on. Open discussion here is welcomed, but I do not want guys planning GJ raids from this site, that is not fair to us here, or GJ. Keep in mind, I was banned over there too, but just let it go man. Really,
+1 mirrion.

GG has to take the high road.

Maybe for newbs just ask if they are a member at GJ and then what their status is with that site. If they say "banned" then give them a quick rundown of what is expected here and where they can post to vent. (the thread in bash & bang)

Online wreckercologist

• Court Jester
  • Super Hero
  • Fonzy disciple
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Entertaining as it is at times, I would agree.

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
It sounds to me like the problem is not GJ bashing, but rather Tapatalk. Start using a real computer
and you won't notice the GJ bashing as much. Somebody needs to start a thread bashing Tapatalk.  th-spit

Offline XaqNautilus

I'm bashing GG.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »
It sounds to me like the problem is not GJ bashing, but rather Tapatalk. Start using a real computer
and you won't notice the GJ bashing as much. Somebody needs to start a thread bashing Tapatalk.  th-spit
This gave me a good LOL.

Maybe if this forum stopped Tapatalk functionality then that would stop the problem. But then you block those like me that love to surf forums on an iPhone or other smartphone using Tapatalk. That is a move in the wrong direction IMO.

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
Personal comment here. Tapatalk has been the biggest pain in the ass every since I installed it. I've spent more time fixing quirks with it then any other part of the forum.
Tool do job = Good tool
When the media is owned by those who believe they have the right to choose leaders, and also believe that only the rich have the right to make decisions, the media ceases to be an objective reporting tool, and becomes an instrument of criminal conspiracy.
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »

Tags: