Author Topic: I'm bashing GG.  (Read 9782 times)

Offline Mad Max 44Mag

Re: I'm bashing GG.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
 maybe make a sub section in bash and bang for it so we dont have to go in that section unless we honestly want to see the bashing  headscratch
i miss bluedog  :(

Offline XaqNautilus

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:56 AM »
Personal comment here. Tapatalk has been the biggest pain in the ass every since I installed it. I've spent more time fixing quirks with it then any other part of the forum.
It might be a PITA but if you guys take down Tapatalk, then I'll be on GJ and not here 80% of the time.  And that would only be because GJ is Tapatalk enabled and in that scenario GG wouldn't be.

You wanna throw in the towel in this fight?  Just disable Tapatalk.

Offline XaqNautilus

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:50 AM »
maybe make a sub section in bash and bang for it so we dont have to go in that section unless we honestly want to see the bashing  headscratch
This doesn't deal with the Tapatalk problem I have noticed.  Why do all you Ryan haters need more than one thread?

Offline Mad Max 44Mag

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »
This doesn't deal with the Tapatalk problem I have noticed.  Why do all you Ryan haters need more than one thread?
then you could put that sub section on ignore and the threads  posted there wouldnt show up
i miss bluedog  :(

Offline Wantedabiggergarage

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 12:58:14 AM »
I am going to disagree with Rusty a teeny bit, because I don't think his answer was quite in depth as much as it needed to be!

First it was Garage Junkies (and I still wonder what happened to that guy), then Ryan took over and it became Garage Journal.  It isn't JUST tool content, IMHO, it is also TIME.  (YEARS of posting that content).  Ok, there is my Rusty Gripe.

As for the bashing, I was the Schmuck that asked for the ignore function for the bash and bang section, since we have gone through periods of this.  It does get tiresome, but I don't keep an ignore on, because there are OTHER things in life to bash and bang.  I DO like the idea of a ignoreable subforum (the GJ vent section), but while I may be able to avoid it, in all honestly, UB, Rusty, and all the other moderators, don't have that choice. myopinion

Now, something else Rusty mentioned, that I think we ALL need to be aware of.  I have searched for old threads before, some of which I posted in (at the other site) and we are new enough here, I haven't really seen it.  But it sucks when you go looking something up, and the information you need, is on a picture, that is NO LONGER THERE!  This is another reason to post the information in text format;  reference material that the search engines use and people use to find us.

Thanks for listening.
Well, I guess a rule disallows, my use of a Dennis Leary song as my signature, LOL.

Offline XaqNautilus

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 01:23:01 AM »
then you could put that sub section on ignore and the threads  posted there wouldnt show up
I have done this for the bash and bang section.  I'll see if this solves MY problem on this forum.

This isn't just MY problem.  This is GG's problem.  Do you want all the Tapatalk newbs to see a bunch of GJ bash threads as their intro to this forum?  If you nix Tapatalk, do you want to lose members who find forums from Tapatalk?

If you just want to be a forum of banned GJ/Ryan haters, that should be the route you take.  Your membership will grow pretty much only from banned GJ members.

If you want to be more than that, then... well read the OP and take it to heart.

Offline american lockpicker

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 01:27:42 AM »
Now, something else Rusty mentioned, that I think we ALL need to be aware of.  I have searched for old threads before, some of which I posted in (at the other site) and we are new enough here, I haven't really seen it.  But it sucks when you go looking something up, and the information you need, is on a picture, that is NO LONGER THERE!  This is another reason to post the information in text format;  reference material that the search engines use and people use to find us.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah I've noticed that before on other forums. Thats why I don't throw out old pics in my pb account. Also if you see something interesting make sure to save it in case it gets deleted or someone exceeds bandwidth(I think if you pay for premium and don't renew pics then become unavailable...)

Pic related

Offline XaqNautilus

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 01:34:22 AM »
I recommend Photobucket.  I've used it for years and they only delete nudes and stuff.  Other forums have stuff linked to PB for 3 years and all the content is still there.

Text is still huge though, since it enables searching.

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:50 AM »
Personal comment here. Tapatalk has been the biggest pain in the ass every since I installed it. I've spent more time fixing quirks with it then any other part of the forum.
It might be a PITA but if you guys take down Tapatalk, then I'll be on GJ and not here 80% of the time.  And that would only be because GJ is Tapatalk enabled and in that scenario GG wouldn't be.

You wanna throw in the towel in this fight?  Just disable Tapatalk.

Question, what fight? This is something I have never understood where does all of this talk of competition between the two sites come from?

We made a site so we could talk to like minded people about subjects we enjoy. The reason we made it was because we didn't enjoy GJ any more. Yes Buck was banned at GJ. However it  was after he had changed his focus to the Garage Hangout. He was banned for letting other people know there was a smaller more comfortable site available.

Now on Photobucket. If you link to there please don't rearrange your folders or move your pictures. That seems to break their links and we get the little blue moved or deleted box. Of course sometimes you get it for no reason as well.

With Tapatalk users being less then 1% of our overall users, yes it being a total pain in the ass and introducing security vulnerabilities can matter.
It's a convenience for people so I spend sleepless nights FTPing into the server switching out the folders and then having to manually change the permissions on each item. Since it installs with wide open permissions and fights the batch changes.

Wanted you are totally correct my only excuse is I had been working on stuff here since 6am and was kind of tired and not focusing well. I went to bed having still not found what ever glitch was filling the error logs. Oh and by the way the glitch is with the twice damned Tapatalk. The real bad part is it's not causing input to the site error logs. It's filling the server error logs.

Tool do job = Good tool
When the media is owned by those who believe they have the right to choose leaders, and also believe that only the rich have the right to make decisions, the media ceases to be an objective reporting tool, and becomes an instrument of criminal conspiracy.
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux

Offline GeorgiaHybrid

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »

Speaking of which......I can't see the new humor section. Do you have to do  anything to allow it to be shown?

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
it should have popped up as soon as I installed it. Their servers must not be up dating again.
Tool do job = Good tool
When the media is owned by those who believe they have the right to choose leaders, and also believe that only the rich have the right to make decisions, the media ceases to be an objective reporting tool, and becomes an instrument of criminal conspiracy.
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux

Offline Rixter58

I'm bashing GG.
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
Being in the trucking business I spend all day away from my laptop and then when I get home most of my evening (much to the wife's chagrin) is in the shop. My laptop doesn't work in the shop. Tapatalk is my major link here. That said, I am only 1 person and I am treading gently and don't post much until I get comfortable. I don't want to contribute to the discomfort of the old-timers here. I say do what is best for the overall good of the site.

Online robleticia

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
I don't want to contribute to the discomfort of the old-timers here.

pot, meet Kettle, Kettle this is pot! th-spit

Offline GeorgiaHybrid

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
Being in the trucking business I spend all day away from my laptop and then when I get home most of my evening (much to the wife's chagrin) is in the shop. My laptop doesn't work in the shop. Tapatalk is my major link here. That said, I am only 1 person and I am treading gently and don't post much until I get comfortable. I don't want to contribute to the discomfort of the old-timers here. I say do what is best for the overall good of the site.

Old timer here..(in more than one way).. that uses tapatalk when I'm on the road. You are not alone :)

As for the rest of us that have been here a while, most of our discomfort comes from something that was too spicy that we ate or the extra fiber that we are taking isn't working like it should. Other than a few people, almost all of the old and new members are just tired of the

SHF :POKIE: trollingx deadhorse

that is going on.

Offline XaqNautilus

I'm bashing GG.
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »
I guess in the heat of the moment I called it a fight. It is a competition for the same traffic.

Thanks Rusty for your tireless efforts to keep Tapatalk up for those of us that use it. I suspected it was a PITA on your end as it is still a very bug filled program from the user side as well. Unfortunately it is still the best forum program for iPhone. (and maybe other phones too)

A decent mobile site for the forum would likely kick its rear though.

The Garage Gazette

I'm bashing GG.
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »

Tags: