Author Topic: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?  (Read 21154 times)

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »

Let me start by saying I am not trying to piss anyone off, I just don’t understand.

I have driven a lot of different motorcycles over the years. in my childhood and youth (70’s and 80’s) harley was manufacturing some pretty poor bikes. I never though much of them but tried to have an open mind till I actually rode one. The quality has improved dramatically over the years and they have had a hundred and some years to perfect a poor design. Well today I finally was able to ride a harley and my worst fears were realized. It was a 2006 fat boy, one of the few models of harley I think look decent.
It was obnoxiously loud, incredibly slow, handled like a turd with handlebars, and had a crapload of vibration( I swear one would make you sterile). The only thing it did well was ride smooth at 50 MPH. when the owner and I returned (he rode his wife’s bike) he said “you want one now don’t you” I lied thru my teeth and said It was not what I had expected and really enjoyed it. The only bike I disliked as much was an early 80’s gold wing.

Why are they so popular? Why do people that have never ridden a motorcycle want or like them? what is the draw?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline amertrac

Re: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:24:17 AM »
I was a Harley rider early one 39,45 ,51.59, and 60 . I made so many repairs on them that I opened up a repair shop part time. I have always Harley's had a heart and were living things
The old kick start Harley would start every time except
 1 when you wanted to show someone how easy it would start 
 2 when you are a little late on the clutch and it stalls and there are cars behind you
 3 when it starts to rain and you a long ways from home
 I also know for a fact that they are alive because every  one that i owned you could not house break
    One of my Harley's was kept in the garage under my bedroom and after a couple hours of riding I put her to bed without cleaning the dust off her.  About an hour after i went bed I heard a clicking from the garage so I got up and went down . when I opened the door the clicking stopped, I moved her a little pulled on some wires
and shook her a little and went to bed. not too long before the ticking started again no ticking when I went down
 After four trips I wiped he down with a soft cloth and the rest of the night she was fine Yes thats crazy but when you ride a Harley you are riding the cadillac of bikes. the road bikes ride like you are part of it not sitting on top. you can ride for miles with your hands in your pocket ,steering with your weight. if you really want to know if I liked Harley's let me know and I will try to explain. I have owned B.M.W ,DUCATY, SUZUKI,TRIUMP, INDIAN, BSA not all registerd but I rode them any way     bob w

don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff

Offline Wantedabiggergarage

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:24:46 AM »
If you don't get it, you shouldn't get it.
I have never liked the noise.  The vibrations, well I flash back to Kirstie Alley on the tonight show, YEARS BACK (when she was hot and Cheers was on), where she practically made the host (think Jay was the guest host that night) blush, when she  said there was something to riding a Harley in a Bikini and feeling it vibrate between your legs.

But I have VERY limited experience on a motorcycle.  One of the times you wouldn't count, while the second time I was in "control" of the vehicle when the owner started trying to yell something to me.  (friends friend was working on a bike he bought and invited us for test drives)  I didn't know this guy or how he works, but I found out what he was trying to say, because I almost lost it turning around and flipped it on top of me when coming to a stop, as I found out he was trying to tell me it only had the front brake. (exhaust did a pretty good number on my leg)

I would like to build one and ride that, but I don't trust others (bikes or drivers) enough to go out and ride.

I don't "get it" either.
Well, I guess a rule disallows, my use of a Dennis Leary song as my signature, LOL.

Offline strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
Its a cult following type thing.   Is a Harley motorbike perfect?   No.  They have their good points as well as bad.

What other American made product can a pot bellied , long haired middle aged guy sling a leg over and instantly become part of cool Americana?
   There is a point where he becomes a Harley rider in his leather vest and bandana, and nothing more, at least for a while.  He is no longer the dentist or the accountant or whatever the boring profession is, does not worry about the house payment for an hour or two that day either.
It is a time machine, a stress releive and a social group all to its own.  An escape to another world for some.

Some drink, some like drugs and the cool ones ride a Harley.  They all escape real life for a while.

My own father was one of the original generation of Harley riders and hot rodders, before it became this cool retro thing to do.   He had an old early 50's bike built up from parts.  Then he got married.   lolx
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:29:22 AM by strik9 »

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I'd like to clarify, the only thing Harley on my bike is the primary drive!  lolx
"Play stupid games, you get stupid prizes."JJ

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
I see these guys at the stoplight with their Harleys. I can see their front tire vibrating real fast from the harsh engine idle. If I had one of those things, I'd be trying everything I could to get a smooth idle out of it, but I heard that's impossible with Harley engines.  I can't stand engines that don't idle smoothly. I'd have some serious adjusting to do if I owned one of them.

Offline BostonIrish

• Living the Dream...
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
I own both...I really am enjoying the Electraglide.I like the size of it and it's comfortable as hell.I love my sport bikes but the new Harley is becoming my new favorite.
Trust No One except the Dog....

• Tool Slut
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
I own both...I really am enjoying the Electraglide.I like the size of it and it's comfortable as hell.I love my sport bikes but the new Harley is becoming my new favorite.

Please explain why? After having the speed, precision, handling, braking ETC of a sport bike, what is it about the harley that is winning you over? I do understand a comfortable upright riding position, but other more refined cruisers and muscle bikes can provide that. (I was never comfortable on a crotch rocket and now I don’t think I could even ride one.) I always liked the upright position of older UJM’s and that’s why I built the supermoto that I did.
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline BostonIrish

• Living the Dream...
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 06:28:17 AM »
I think it's because it is big and comfortable.The wife likes it which means more 2 up riding which I wanted.I love blasting around on the Ninja but the "flying couch" is relaxing...to each they're own.I've always wanted one and I'm pretty happy so far..
Trust No One except the Dog....

• Tool Slut
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
I think it's because it is big and comfortable.The wife likes it which means more 2 up riding which I wanted.I love blasting around on the Ninja but the "flying couch" is relaxing...to each they're own.I've always wanted one and I'm pretty happy so far..

That is the key, with that I can understand being happy with one when coming from other bikes. The root of it as that I never got the memo on why to want it in the first place. People who have never owned a bike dream of harleys. I guess it is just the bike is a universal symbol of freedom and the harley style is what they conjure up.
― Dr. Seuss

Online robleticia

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »
 frustratedx

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • former beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »
frustratedx

no shit.........the only reason anyone would post this kind of topic is to be a F@$KING troll..........

i had a honda once............i never got a blowjob in the bathroom of a bar from a chick for a ride on it.

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »

i had a honda once............i never got a blowjob in the bathroom of a bar from a chick for a ride on it.

Now THAT is a good reason to own a Harley..

/ Question though, Could she suck start it? (the Harley that is lol)
ambitious but rubbish

Online robleticia

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 01:26:16 PM »
frustratedx

:D :D :D :D

Offline mikeyr

• My FIAT Dino website
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
I have always had bikes, never a Harley.   When I bought my Victory a few years back a friend of mine questioned why I didn't buy a Harley, he looked up the price of my Vic and said for that money I could have had a Harley.  He does not ride and never has, his wife won't let him get a bike.  He believe(d) that Harley was the very best bike on the road and could not understand why I did not buy one since I spent nearly the same amount.   Its called advertising , Harley does a very good job of advertising the lifestyle, not the bike.   When I bought my BMW recently, again he asked why because this time I spent more than Harley.  He believes they are the best and if his wife lets him get a bike it likely will be a Harley unless I can talk him into a bike.

Its a lifestyle, nothing else.  The bike runs, Harley's get you to the local bar so you can admire the chrome on the parked bikes and that is all some people want.
Proof that God wants us to ride motorcycles : if he wanted us to ride cars with 4 wheels, he would have given us 4 legs.  He gave us 2 legs so we could ride 2 wheels.
And for when we are not riding, there is always http://www.fornoclassico.com/

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »

Tags: