Author Topic: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?  (Read 21149 times)

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »

Let me start by saying I am not trying to piss anyone off, I just don’t understand.

I have driven a lot of different motorcycles over the years. in my childhood and youth (70’s and 80’s) harley was manufacturing some pretty poor bikes. I never though much of them but tried to have an open mind till I actually rode one. The quality has improved dramatically over the years and they have had a hundred and some years to perfect a poor design. Well today I finally was able to ride a harley and my worst fears were realized. It was a 2006 fat boy, one of the few models of harley I think look decent.
It was obnoxiously loud, incredibly slow, handled like a turd with handlebars, and had a crapload of vibration( I swear one would make you sterile). The only thing it did well was ride smooth at 50 MPH. when the owner and I returned (he rode his wife’s bike) he said “you want one now don’t you” I lied thru my teeth and said It was not what I had expected and really enjoyed it. The only bike I disliked as much was an early 80’s gold wing.

Why are they so popular? Why do people that have never ridden a motorcycle want or like them? what is the draw?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline amertrac

Re: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:24:17 AM »
I was a Harley rider early one 39,45 ,51.59, and 60 . I made so many repairs on them that I opened up a repair shop part time. I have always Harley's had a heart and were living things
The old kick start Harley would start every time except
 1 when you wanted to show someone how easy it would start 
 2 when you are a little late on the clutch and it stalls and there are cars behind you
 3 when it starts to rain and you a long ways from home
 I also know for a fact that they are alive because every  one that i owned you could not house break
    One of my Harley's was kept in the garage under my bedroom and after a couple hours of riding I put her to bed without cleaning the dust off her.  About an hour after i went bed I heard a clicking from the garage so I got up and went down . when I opened the door the clicking stopped, I moved her a little pulled on some wires
and shook her a little and went to bed. not too long before the ticking started again no ticking when I went down
 After four trips I wiped he down with a soft cloth and the rest of the night she was fine Yes thats crazy but when you ride a Harley you are riding the cadillac of bikes. the road bikes ride like you are part of it not sitting on top. you can ride for miles with your hands in your pocket ,steering with your weight. if you really want to know if I liked Harley's let me know and I will try to explain. I have owned B.M.W ,DUCATY, SUZUKI,TRIUMP, INDIAN, BSA not all registerd but I rode them any way     bob w

don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff

Offline Wantedabiggergarage

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:24:46 AM »
If you don't get it, you shouldn't get it.
I have never liked the noise.  The vibrations, well I flash back to Kirstie Alley on the tonight show, YEARS BACK (when she was hot and Cheers was on), where she practically made the host (think Jay was the guest host that night) blush, when she  said there was something to riding a Harley in a Bikini and feeling it vibrate between your legs.

But I have VERY limited experience on a motorcycle.  One of the times you wouldn't count, while the second time I was in "control" of the vehicle when the owner started trying to yell something to me.  (friends friend was working on a bike he bought and invited us for test drives)  I didn't know this guy or how he works, but I found out what he was trying to say, because I almost lost it turning around and flipped it on top of me when coming to a stop, as I found out he was trying to tell me it only had the front brake. (exhaust did a pretty good number on my leg)

I would like to build one and ride that, but I don't trust others (bikes or drivers) enough to go out and ride.

I don't "get it" either.
Well, I guess a rule disallows, my use of a Dennis Leary song as my signature, LOL.

Offline strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
Its a cult following type thing.   Is a Harley motorbike perfect?   No.  They have their good points as well as bad.

What other American made product can a pot bellied , long haired middle aged guy sling a leg over and instantly become part of cool Americana?
   There is a point where he becomes a Harley rider in his leather vest and bandana, and nothing more, at least for a while.  He is no longer the dentist or the accountant or whatever the boring profession is, does not worry about the house payment for an hour or two that day either.
It is a time machine, a stress releive and a social group all to its own.  An escape to another world for some.

Some drink, some like drugs and the cool ones ride a Harley.  They all escape real life for a while.

My own father was one of the original generation of Harley riders and hot rodders, before it became this cool retro thing to do.   He had an old early 50's bike built up from parts.  Then he got married.   lolx
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:29:22 AM by strik9 »

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I'd like to clarify, the only thing Harley on my bike is the primary drive!  lolx
"Play stupid games, you get stupid prizes."JJ

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
I see these guys at the stoplight with their Harleys. I can see their front tire vibrating real fast from the harsh engine idle. If I had one of those things, I'd be trying everything I could to get a smooth idle out of it, but I heard that's impossible with Harley engines.  I can't stand engines that don't idle smoothly. I'd have some serious adjusting to do if I owned one of them.

Offline BostonIrish

• Living the Dream...
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
I own both...I really am enjoying the Electraglide.I like the size of it and it's comfortable as hell.I love my sport bikes but the new Harley is becoming my new favorite.
Trust No One except the Dog....

• Tool Slut
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
I own both...I really am enjoying the Electraglide.I like the size of it and it's comfortable as hell.I love my sport bikes but the new Harley is becoming my new favorite.

Please explain why? After having the speed, precision, handling, braking ETC of a sport bike, what is it about the harley that is winning you over? I do understand a comfortable upright riding position, but other more refined cruisers and muscle bikes can provide that. (I was never comfortable on a crotch rocket and now I don’t think I could even ride one.) I always liked the upright position of older UJM’s and that’s why I built the supermoto that I did.
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline BostonIrish

• Living the Dream...
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 06:28:17 AM »
I think it's because it is big and comfortable.The wife likes it which means more 2 up riding which I wanted.I love blasting around on the Ninja but the "flying couch" is relaxing...to each they're own.I've always wanted one and I'm pretty happy so far..
Trust No One except the Dog....

• Tool Slut
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
I think it's because it is big and comfortable.The wife likes it which means more 2 up riding which I wanted.I love blasting around on the Ninja but the "flying couch" is relaxing...to each they're own.I've always wanted one and I'm pretty happy so far..

That is the key, with that I can understand being happy with one when coming from other bikes. The root of it as that I never got the memo on why to want it in the first place. People who have never owned a bike dream of harleys. I guess it is just the bike is a universal symbol of freedom and the harley style is what they conjure up.
― Dr. Seuss

Online robleticia

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »
 frustratedx

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • former beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »
frustratedx

no shit.........the only reason anyone would post this kind of topic is to be a F@$KING troll..........

i had a honda once............i never got a blowjob in the bathroom of a bar from a chick for a ride on it.

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »

i had a honda once............i never got a blowjob in the bathroom of a bar from a chick for a ride on it.

Now THAT is a good reason to own a Harley..

/ Question though, Could she suck start it? (the Harley that is lol)
ambitious but rubbish

Online robleticia

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 01:26:16 PM »
frustratedx

:D :D :D :D

Offline mikeyr

• My FIAT Dino website
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
I have always had bikes, never a Harley.   When I bought my Victory a few years back a friend of mine questioned why I didn't buy a Harley, he looked up the price of my Vic and said for that money I could have had a Harley.  He does not ride and never has, his wife won't let him get a bike.  He believe(d) that Harley was the very best bike on the road and could not understand why I did not buy one since I spent nearly the same amount.   Its called advertising , Harley does a very good job of advertising the lifestyle, not the bike.   When I bought my BMW recently, again he asked why because this time I spent more than Harley.  He believes they are the best and if his wife lets him get a bike it likely will be a Harley unless I can talk him into a bike.

Its a lifestyle, nothing else.  The bike runs, Harley's get you to the local bar so you can admire the chrome on the parked bikes and that is all some people want.
Proof that God wants us to ride motorcycles : if he wanted us to ride cars with 4 wheels, he would have given us 4 legs.  He gave us 2 legs so we could ride 2 wheels.
And for when we are not riding, there is always http://www.fornoclassico.com/

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »

Its a lifestyle, nothing else.  The bike runs, Harley's get you to the local bar so you can admire the chrome on the parked bikes and that is all some people want.

kinda.........maybe that is some peoples "lifestyle" those are the same people who build a street rod just to go to car show's. there are many of us in motorcycle clubs who actually RIDE rain or shine and don't stop at a bar for 300 miles at a time.

the funny thing to me, over the years i have hear all of this CRAP from people who have nevr ridden a harley davidson......but i usually run into them years later and they now ride a harley davidson.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »
Yeah, that HD "lifestyle" thing is a bit of a cliche' these days. It's more a catch phrase --

Last year I was camping up in the Shenandoah mountains and this "biker club" pulls in. They had all the requirements; leather, colors, tats, women,.. you get the point. They set up camp and then the fun started. Soon after their $500K mobile homes and cycle trailers (i.e. support vehicles) showed up and parked next to us.

They all were talkin' the "Harley Lifestyle" crap and "talked the talk". Kicker was that the next day we found out that everyone of these guys and gals were actually a bunch of upper middle class Washington DC professionals (doctors, engineers, executives, etc..) who dress the part on weekends. They trailer their bikes to nice scenic areas and then ride only that portion. When they are done, they trailer the bikes back home. It's a free country, but I don't think that this is the "Harley Lifestyle" that most people associate with the brand. Unfortunately, marketing has made it such. 

Offline Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
frustratedx

no shit.........the only reason anyone would post this kind of topic is to be a F@$KING troll..........

Now that's just funny.  And the obvious mathematical comparison can't be overlooked.   
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Offline atlinwi202

• Livin' the Dream
Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »
Why would anybody want a classic big block car? They don't corner well, have terrible sound insulation and mediocre handling. Besides that there are new ars that are much faster.
-Andy

• Tool Slut
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
Why would anybody want a classic big block car? They don't corner well, have terrible sound insulation and mediocre handling. Besides that there are new ars that are much faster.

Not quite apples to apples, a classic big block muscle car was an automotive pinnacle. 400 hp, brutal acceleration for the time. A modern car say a ZRI Camaro, also a pinnacle, 585 HP brutal acceleration fast as hell.
Harleys are not the pinnacle of motorcycle engineering. They have evolved and are improvements on the original but not a flagship for breed.
― Dr. Seuss

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »

Because they are fast. Can't say the same for a Harley.
And yes, I have owned a Harley before and will own one again but my old 1982 Honda nighthawk 450 would beat most Harleys.
I'm kinda into older jap bikes right now but a Minimalist hard tail Harley is my next project.
I like all bikes. They all have their place.
However... If I could have only one... A ducati.

Bruce.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 12:48:22 AM »
The mystique, the "lifestyle", the attraction of an iconic make, all these plus the excellent job Harley has done advertising!
My Harley rides have been '49 Panhead, '62 Duoglide, '72 Electraglide.
I have been into motorcycles for 50 years, and have ridden most makes, and owned many of them.  I went through the club scene, outlaw scene, and then the family friendly club scene. Went to too many rallies to count and enjoyed it all, but since about 1987 or so, HD made big changes,  especially on who they marketed the machines to. They knew what they were doing, going after the Yuppie market, leaving behind the riders who kept them going for decades when the bikes were not well built at all.
I worked at a large dealership in Houston as Service Manager when the changes started affecting who walked in the door to buy Harleys. No offense to any here, but I was not one of them anymore.
I ride my old BMW R100/7 to work as often as possible, and don't do the rallies and group rides anymore.
    Tool Talk
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »
for those of you who say a harley isn't fast,  i can introduce you to some folks who own VERY fast HD motorcycles. sure you'll come back with hayabusa's that will go 180 mph but do you know any roads that are smooth enough for that?  130 on a chopper is fast in anyones book. hell my bagger will roll 110.

Online robleticia

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Because they are just no-noing bad ass, that's why! :mr: myopinion

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
frustratedx

;) You must not have met the right chick

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
I've only owned Hondas. But I'd like to get a Harley. My brother has a Softtail that I've ridden on a couple of times. It feels like it was made by big sweaty blacksmiths while the Honda feels as if it was made by NASA. Even so I want a Harley. Same as I want a 1970 big block SuperBee

• Tool Slut
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
I have always had bikes, never a Harley.   When I bought my Victory a few years back a friend of mine questioned why I didn't buy a Harley, he looked up the price of my Vic and said for that money I could have had a Harley.  He does not ride and never has, his wife won't let him get a bike.  He believe(d) that Harley was the very best bike on the road and could not understand why I did not buy one since I spent nearly the same amount.   Its called advertising , Harley does a very good job of advertising the lifestyle, not the bike.   When I bought my BMW recently, again he asked why because this time I spent more than Harley.  He believes they are the best and if his wife lets him get a bike it likely will be a Harley unless I can talk him into a bike.

This right here is what I really don’t understand. Why someone not steeped in bike tradition feels this way.

Ever since my son was born I have really wanted a sidecar rig. Not a velorex on a goldwing but it has to be an Ural/Dnepr/chang jiang rig. Too many days spent watching rat patrol and Hogan’s heroes. If I ever have spare money shooting out of my butt I would love to own one. I will go in with both eyes open to the fact that speeds above 45 mph start to get dangerous and 60 mph is scarry.
― Dr. Seuss

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »

This right here is what I really don’t understand. Why someone not steeped in bike tradition feels this way.

Ever since my son was born I have really wanted a sidecar rig. Not a velorex on a goldwing but it has to be an Ural/Dnepr/chang jiang rig. Too many days spent watching rat patrol and Hogan’s heroes. If I ever have spare money shooting out of my butt I would love to own one. I will go in with both eyes open to the fact that speeds above 45 mph start to get dangerous and 60 mph is scarry.

cool.......to each his own.

BUT you'll notice that none of us harley riders started a thread craping on russian sidecar bikes decause they are out of date slow pieces of crap....... SHF

• Tool Slut
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »

cool.......to each his own.

BUT you'll notice that none of us harley riders started a thread craping on russian sidecar bikes decause they are out of date slow pieces of crap....... SHF

The thing is I was not trying to crap on any bike. I ask you to re read the very first bold sentence in my OP.
I do not buy the marketing angle. I have seen the same advertisements every other 50 year old has seen and I TRULLY do not understand the “ harley is the one and only bike to have” mentality that mikeyr posted.
My great grandpa had an Indian before WWI; grandpa had a Norton when I was a kid. Dad’s first bike was a Honda scrambler. Did none of my family ever get the memo?

IMO there is no such thing as a bad bike. I do hate LOUD bikes and won’t go any further with that.

I really don’t understand it and would like to. Unlike politics I understand even less and don’t want to.
― Dr. Seuss

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
all i will say is I WANT MY MOTORCYCLE AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.............i want everyone to know where i am..........not so they can look at me and say"cool"............so they don't run me the f@#k over.

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
all i will say is I WANT MY MOTORCYCLE AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.............i want everyone to know where i am..........not so they can look at me and say"cool"............so they don't run me the f@#k over.
Reminds me of the "South Park" episode....Turn your volume off as it uses the word no-no.
We're Turning Some Heads!

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
lol

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
So many people like bikes and of them so many only like harleys  no one can paint them all with the same brush. Those who exceed the legal limits on noise or break any traffic laws should be punished with very large fines and arrest.. When too many of them get together bad things happen period....Look at the death and crime associated with  bikers during the infamous "myrtle beach bike week" when almost all were on harleys  The last time I made the mistake of trying to vacation during this 10 to 20 day long "event" I couldn't sleep for the noise and almost ran over 2 jerks when they ran a red light. No problem with the machines but I do have issue with morons and many morons ride harleys.I loved to ride when younger and it wasnt a harley but to me just as much fun, (and dangerious) see pict

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
lol
I was hoping you'd like it. First time I saw it I was ROTF. I'm not usually a SP fan either.

• Tool Slut
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »
― Dr. Seuss

Online robleticia

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »

^^^this! Im running straight pipes, no mufflers!

And did I mention the fact that they are just bad ass?!?!?!

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »

^^^this! Im running straight pipes, no mufflers!

And did I mention the fact that they are just bad ass?!?!?!

I'm fairly sure that you did

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
FF, with all these posts, and points of view.....what have you gathered from this thread?

Offline blue dog

• Super Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
 A good friend of mine is a salesman at a large Harley dealership here in Los Angeles, he has been selling Harley's for over 20 years. I asked him one day what kind of people are buying expensive brand new Bikes, he quickly replied, these days, 1/2 the people who buy a bike, he is scared to watch them leave the parking lot when the transaction is done. I as well find it interesting that even in this economy, my buddy will sell 5 new bikes on a bad week, and up to 15 on good weeks, and he sells and ships a few bikes to Europe every month, i found that to be interesting.
What's the point of being STUPID, if you don't show it ????

• Tool Slut
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
FF, with all these posts, and points of view.....what have you gathered from this thread?

IMO I did not yet get an answer to my question. I did get a few responses that I knew I would despite my disclaimer. I don’t understand a lot of human behavior so this one will most likely remain a mystery to me. it does go way beyond personal taste though. I. E. I don’t understand the popularity of TV like survivor or dancing with the stars, or why people like Pepsi over Coke, other than people have different tastes.
The goes way beyond that and I can’t explain it any better than Mikeyr’s friend, the “only harley” mentality of people that have never ridden.
I posed the same type of question to a former work buddy who was the president of a Detroit “gang” and he couldn’t answer it other than his dad had one. although the membership was all HO I was invited to the clubhouse despite owning a Vmax at the time. To this day I regret not making the time to do it. hell it took 50 years to finally ride one. I just wish it was a stock one without straight pipes.
I really am trying to understand the mentality and not rag on the marque.
― Dr. Seuss

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
i think the OP should have asked why did you choose to purchase a harley davidson motorcyle to begin with instead of the bullshit he DID post.........it may have gotten him better responses th-wink

so i'll start........it's because it's a domestic brand (notice i chose my words carefull to stop the eventual shit storm about domestic content since content has changed in the 30 years i have been riding motorcycles) thumbsup2  the "lifestyle" came later

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »

IMO I did not yet get an answer to my question. I did get a few responses that I knew I would despite my disclaimer. I don’t understand a lot of human behavior so this one will most likely remain a mystery to me. it does go way beyond personal taste though. I. E. I don’t understand the popularity of TV like survivor or dancing with the stars, or why people like Pepsi over Coke, other than people have different tastes.
The goes way beyond that and I can’t explain it any better than Mikeyr’s friend, the “only harley” mentality of people that have never ridden.
i guess the answer doesn't makes sense to you because you don't understand it..........reminds me of a t shirt IF YOU HAVE TO ASK YOU WOULDN"T UNDERSTAND. lolx

I posed the same type of question to a former work buddy who was the president of a Detroit “gang” and he couldn’t answer it other than his dad had one. although the membership was all HO I was invited to the clubhouse despite owning a Vmax at the time. To this day I regret not making the time to do it. hell it took 50 years to finally ride one. I just wish it was a stock one without straight pipes.
I really am trying to understand the mentality and not rag on the marque.

GANG?  it's called a CLUB........what part of that don't you understand?

i guess those that don't understand don't because the don't want to........or they would already

Online robleticia

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
People ride what they ride because its what THEY WANT TO RIDE! Its no different than the fact I would rather drive an ill handling, heavy, no power nothing and no a/c old car from the '50 than my 2009 Chevy XLT fully loaded truck. I want to drive that old car just like I want to ride my Harley, because that is what I like! Have I drove other cars better than my old Chevy? Well yes obviously. Have I ridden a motorcycle that rides smoother and more comfortable than my Harley? Yes. So then why do I choose these over something else, because I WANT TO and THAT IS WHAT I LIKE. Sure some yuppies do it to be cool, but for the most part I think it just boils down to personal preference. thumbsup2

• Tool Slut
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »
People ride what they ride because its what THEY WANT TO RIDE! Its no different than the fact I would rather drive an ill handling, heavy, no power nothing and no a/c old car from the '50 than my 2009 Chevy XLT fully loaded truck. I want to drive that old car just like I want to ride my Harley, because that is what I like! Have I drove other cars better than my old Chevy? Well yes obviously. Have I ridden a motorcycle that rides smoother and more comfortable than my Harley? Yes. So then why do I choose these over something else, because I WANT TO and THAT IS WHAT I LIKE. Sure some yuppies do it to be cool, but for the most part I think it just boils down to personal preference. thumbsup2

Yes! I understand this, I agree 100%. I loved my Buick GS convertible, I love my gas guzzling, slow as molasses jeep. I get choice. Always have.

The “harley thing” I have been referring to is the friend mikeyr referred to.

I.E. why do people who have never ridden anything or know nothing about motorcycles think harley is the be all end all of motorcycles?

Why is the choice “preordained” for mass America? 
― Dr. Seuss

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »
MAMA said no bike for me unless I bought plenty more life insurance....but gezzz I would love to join the club

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »

Why is the choice “preordained” for mass America?

Advertising and image.

Mid  life crisis... who do you want to be, the "nerdy" Doctor on the BMW or the Biker bad-ass on the Harley...

If up to then you've lived your life as a "nerd" in an office and want a change, the the obvious choice is the "anti-nerd" ... the Harley (or its clones).
ambitious but rubbish

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »
I have ridden bikes since I was a kid, I still have a couple of old bikes I can rip around on the dirt with if I choose to do so. Both my old bikes are foreign jobs. I have never attempted actually getting a license and riding on the street, I know I would love it, however, just as Krusty pointed out I would not trust the rest of the motoring public.

A close friend was near killed a couple of years back by a couple such dumb asses that sharply crossed the centerline and hit him head on at about 40-45mph. No helmet as this is KS. Anyway, after that if I had ever seriously entertained the notion of riding in the street watching him not fully recover and now live on disability fairly well killed any thoughts of getting a road bike.

I have ridden a few street bikes through the years, one of which was a Harley. For me, if I ever would buy a street bike I would not look like the stereotypical biker of today, IE all the Harley garb, etc. Regular heavy boots (not Harley) no dew rag, likely no leathers at all. Just a nondescript overweight 50 year old dude merrily cruising around would be me. Image has never meant anything to me. I am too damned cheap to pay the high price for the privilege of paying to advertise someones product (I don't care whose product either) so I guess I would not make much of a statement riding would I !

Anyway, I do love street bikes, and yes I love Harley's the most. As far as I know they are the closest thing left in this country to a USA made bike, not to mention their rich history coupled with their great looks and a sound that for me no other bike can replicate. They can make them look like a Harley, but they cannot make them sound like one. As I have no interest in doing 130 MPH that would really not matter to me anyway. So yes, for me as well Harley is still the bike above all others for riding on the road. Actually, I do not see that changing soon in this country either. The brand is considered along side Chevy, apple pie and mom, an American original, that is part of it too. Too kill the mystique and reputation that has built the loyal following you would have to kill it's history as well.

None of this means a thing though since I will never buy a road bike (I am a real square my youngest is 7 and I cannot take chances like that anymore) if I ever would have bought a road bike it should have been as a single guy with no responsibilities. Yup, I am a real square in some ways. Put me in the Harley camp though that would be the bike for me. 
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Online robleticia

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »
I dont know why they do that FF. I know exactly what you are talking about. Probably about a month ago I was at the dealership to pick up a part and a guy just bought a brand new herritage Classic while I was there. When I was leaving he was also pulling out of the parking lot and dumped it. Siad it was the first time he had ever ridden anything other than a 125. REALLY, your first bike is a $30k one and you dont know how to ride??? This is the kinda shit you are talking about I am guessing. Just people wanting to be "cool"! Idiots!

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »
I dont know why they do that FF. I know exactly what you are talking about. Probably about a month ago I was at the dealership to pick up a part and a guy just bought a brand new herritage Classic while I was there. When I was leaving he was also pulling out of the parking lot and dumped it. Siad it was the first time he had ever ridden anything other than a 125. REALLY, your first bike is a $30k one and you dont know how to ride??? This is the kinda shit you are talking about I am guessing. Just people wanting to be "cool"! Idiots!

wannabe's.........but at least we have a lot of crashed bikes to make cool choppers out of

Online robleticia

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
Yeah!!!! thumbsup2 But it here lately it's been my bike that keeps getting hit....DAMN IT! frustratedx

Offline mike in ohio

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »
I ride a Honda cb750f. I understand the original question but can't really answer it, I know I want a Harley but thinking about it I can't really tell you why. I paid $100 for my Honda, it was a frame and about 6 boxes of parts. It took me a while to get it running and it does every thing a Harley will do with no payment and very cheap insurance,( well except maybe the bj in bar bathroom, that hasn't happened yet lol). But I still want a Harley.
I am trustworthy, loyal, and helpful, but I struggle with obedient

Offline garfunkle24

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »
People like Harleys because they care more about image and style than performance or engineering.  Same reason some guys like jacked up trucks and shitty ass "muscle" cars, or the other crowd who like huge wings and mufflers on their econobox.

What one poster described as escapism for professionals I would describe as a bunch of geeks who wanna pretend to be dangerous tough-guy bikers. 

Flame on.
g24

to the left to the left....

Offline platypus20

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »
The only twin cylinder machines I ever own were a BMW, a Moto Guzzi and a Ducati.
jack

Offline blue dog

• Super Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
 I have been wanting a KTM 990 adventure, Must be a Ktm thing.

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
My next bike

ambitious but rubbish

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
My next bike

Looks like something Batman would ride

Offline blue dog

• Super Hero
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
 I have experienced both, but the ktm was more fun and nimble in the rough. They are both big bikes.

• Tool Slut
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »
― Dr. Seuss

Online robleticia

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2012, 11:13:27 PM »
Im gonna build my next one from scratch! (bobber)

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
I understand the NEED for loud pipes, and I know, even then they don't work (LEO friend was intentionally hit and killed when on personal bike taking a relative for a ride) all the time.  I do wish they had bike only lanes, the same way some states have carpool only lanes etc.  I think it would up the safety factor.  Since I am not a loud person, and I would like to play with alternative stuff (part of it so I can learn new things, partly just to be different, not green chit) like this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/14/mission-motors-mission-r-electric-motorcycle-checks-in-to-jay-le/

This to me seems to be the better electric vehicle value (use, weight to power, cost to replace battery, etc) then a electric car.

However, I will say the thing that got me into bikes as a YOUNG kid was a movie and the ONLY good section of a tv program:
Battlestar Galactica Flying Bike
(also part of why I like experimental planes, etc)

I still wish we had a motorcycle junkyard around.  (after the throwing incident, I still don't trust others work on them)
Well, I guess a rule disallows, my use of a Dennis Leary song as my signature, LOL.

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »

Looks like something Batman would ride

You can call me the caped crusader then!!  grinx
ambitious but rubbish

• Tool Slut
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2012, 11:48:16 PM »
menstral cycle
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Kirbot

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:05 AM »
Hmm... I haven't read this whole topic, so maybe I've missed something important, BUT...

First of all...
I don't own a harley. In fact, I don't own any bike.
But I AM looking for a CB350.

FF
You own a Jeep right? Multiple old Jeeps IIRC. So I'm a little surprised to see you ragging on a Harley for not being the most modern bike around...

I own a CJ7
I can speak from personal experience when I say old Jeeps are noisy, fairly slow, burn a stupid amount of gas, can be unreliable, ride like shit and handle like a brick.

None of that bothers me though... It's an American icon with one of the richest histories of any vehicle ever made.
A newer vehicle would be better in every way, but I know it wouldn't put that same smile on my face as my Jeep does when I take the top down a and go for a ride.

My guess it that Harleys are the same way. It's an American icon. They've been around forever, everybody knows the name, and they just work.

I wouldn't mind owning a harley wl one of these days.
Is it practical? No way in hell.

But you know what? I really don't care

Online robleticia

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:04 AM »
^^^^^THIS! thumbsup2

• Tool Slut
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
Hmm... I haven't read this whole topic, so maybe I've missed something important, BUT...

First of all...
I don't own a harley. In fact, I don't own any bike.
But I AM looking for a CB350.

FF
You own a Jeep right? Multiple old Jeeps IIRC. So I'm a little surprised to see you ragging on a Harley for not being the most modern bike around...

I own a CJ7
I can speak from personal experience when I say old Jeeps are noisy, fairly slow, burn a stupid amount of gas, can be unreliable, ride like shit and handle like a brick.

None of that bothers me though... It's an American icon with one of the richest histories of any vehicle ever made.
A newer vehicle would be better in every way, but I know it wouldn't put that same smile on my face as my Jeep does when I take the top down a and go for a ride.

My guess it that Harleys are the same way. It's an American icon. They've been around forever, everybody knows the name, and they just work.

I wouldn't mind owning a harley wl one of these days.
Is it practical? No way in hell.

But you know what? I really don't care

The evolution of the thread and of my actual question is:
Why do people that have never ridden a bike have a PREORDAINED mindset that a harley is the one and only bike to have?

I understand why people that own any bike loves there bike.

I get it is an American icon, but these same people buy there china made clothes at walmart

The jeep analogy doest work, every kid that wants to go off-road does not want a CJ5 as the one and only.
I started with CJ’s because YJ’s were more expensive and not radically better. Now that I have a TJ, and fire #2 took out all my CJ projects, I will most likely never own another CJ.

I also don’t understand the fierce brand loyalty for green and yellow tractors and I own two of them.

If it is marketing I want to know so I can apply the exact same principals marketing in 50+ year old fat guys to high school girls.
― Dr. Seuss

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 06:08:15 PM »

If it is marketing I want to know so I can apply the exact same principals marketing in 50+ year old fat guys to high school girls.

Hello, Wilma, we are calling about your late husbands tools!  No, not the one in the high school girl. th-spit

Offline strik9

• Can use hammer
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 07:44:54 PM »
In that case Bill you need money and a Ferrari.   
Lots and lots of money.
The Ferrari is just bait to get them to look, after that its pure cash.

Women will stick by your side if you have lots of money even if you never bathed.   It helps them forget the 'minor' details as they spend it like there is no bottom to the wallet.

Why didn't you just come out and ask this directly?    lolx lolx lolx

Offline Kirbot

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
The jeep analogy doest work, every kid that wants to go off-road does not want a CJ5 as the one and only.
I started with CJ’s because YJ’s were more expensive and not radically better. Now that I have a TJ, and fire #2 took out all my CJ projects, I will most likely never own another CJ.

Well that explains a few things I wondered about you then.

I only assumed you had a CJ because you WANTED a CJ, not because it was just a cheap alternative.
So in your case, no, the analogy doesn't work.

Offline scottg

• Super Hero
    • Scotts Tool Page
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
I guess I'm just so old. I remember when they were all scooters.
Cheaper than a car and poor people rode them. Even poorer people put together old ones. Cops who were either newbies or weren't making the grade had to ride them because they weren't going to give them a car. 
 Shriners had the coolest, the custom chromed out Cushmann Eagles they rode in parades.

We have a bike run every year here. We get guys with squeaky new Harley Davidson socks and Harley hats, Harley boots, gloves, scarves, bandannas..............
 Look like a damn walking magazine ad.

So, one day I was scooting along. Brilliant spring morning just off Coast highway. No traffic, absolutely perfect.
 Suddenly I open my eyes again. 
I am flat on my back in the middle of the road, staring at the sky. Arms and legs spread eagle like I was crucified, and my chest hurts like hell.
  I can't figure out what the f@^k happened!!   
 Slowly I begin to be able to see a little. My bike is laying on its side up ahead.  I am trying to remember so hard, but nothing is coming.
 Finally I am able to 1/2 way sit up and my eyes start to clear. My chest is killing me. Wondering if I had a heart attack.
  When, out of the corner of my eye, I finally see it and turn my head for a good look.

A huge seagull is flopping around on the ground not 10 feet from me.

Bastard must have me picked me clean, straight off the back of the bike.
     yours Scott

• Tool Slut
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »
I guess I'm just so old. I remember when they were all scooters.
Cheaper than a car and poor people rode them. Even poorer people put together old ones. Cops who were either newbies or weren't making the grade had to ride them because they weren't going to give them a car. 
 Shriners had the coolest, the custom chromed out Cushmann Eagles they rode in parades.

We have a bike run every year here. We get guys with squeaky new Harley Davidson socks and Harley hats, Harley boots, gloves, scarves, bandannas..............
 Look like a damn walking magazine ad.

So, one day I was scooting along. Brilliant spring morning just off Coast highway. No traffic, absolutely perfect.
 Suddenly I open my eyes again. 
I am flat on my back in the middle of the road, staring at the sky. Arms and legs spread eagle like I was crucified, and my chest hurts like hell.
  I can't figure out what the f@^k happened!!   
 Slowly I begin to be able to see a little. My bike is laying on its side up ahead.  I am trying to remember so hard, but nothing is coming.
 Finally I am able to 1/2 way sit up and my eyes start to clear. My chest is killing me. Wondering if I had a heart attack.
  When, out of the corner of my eye, I finally see it and turn my head for a good look.

A huge seagull is flopping around on the ground not 10 feet from me.

Bastard must have me picked me clean, straight off the back of the bike.
     yours Scott

:)) :)) :)) sorry to laugh at your accident but  that is funny!
― Dr. Seuss

• Tool Slut
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »

Well that explains a few things I wondered about you then.

I only assumed you had a CJ because you WANTED a CJ, not because it was just a cheap alternative.
So in your case, no, the analogy doesn't work.

I have wheeled my scrambler and my TJ and there is no comparison.
I should have been more specific, if I own another CJ it will most likely be another 2A, and of course an MB would be the Holy Grail. As would an FC150!
― Dr. Seuss

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »
Dont the nasty biker chicks that do tricks and strip at the bar pay for their mans harley. I like harleys but the OUTLAWS and HELLS ANGLES I have met (and it wasnt a friendly social event either) give the bike a bad reputation

better lock this one down buck........there's 2 douchebags now that seriously need to be set straight.

both are no-noing trolls and niether have a no-noing clue what they are saying, to whom and who else is listening.

Offline strik9

• Can use hammer
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
Keep it clean guys.   There are 6 sides on every dice.    Something for everyone without being insulting.

Offline tyreguy25

• Super Hero
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »
Dont the nasty biker chicks that do tricks and strip at the bar pay for their mans harley. I like harleys but the OUTLAWS and HELLS ANGLES I have met (and it wasnt a friendly social event either) give the bike a bad reputation

better lock this one down buck........there's 2 douchebags now that seriously need to be set straight.

both are no-noing trolls and niether have a no-noing clue what they are saying, to whom and who else is listening.

TFM, you are aware that there are Outlaws (the 1% crowd) and the other riders (the 99%) right? The 99% are largely law abiding. They are your everyday guys, doctors, lawyers, mechanics, school teachers and other careers that just want to ride and have fun. From my research, the outlaws are those that you hear about, the Mongols, the Angels, Pagans, etc. Even there, a few bad apples or actions give the whole lot of them a bad image to modern society. There are also non-1% support clubs, which support the 1% club. Saying what you said is like saying that all blacks are womanizing drug dealers because Michael Irvin got caught with Cocaine. I don't see how you can sit there with a clear conscience and say the things you said.

Krusty, I understand your viewpoint completely.
Andy

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »
I didnt mean to insult anyone but maybe the nasty 1% law breakers..gezzz  I guess I threw out too much chum . The fish are jumpin out of the water fightin over the bait...............

Offline strik9

• Can use hammer
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »
Yup FLM, that bucket of chum set in the sun too long.   lolx lolx

Offline X1 Mike

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »
It feels like it was made by big sweaty blacksmiths while the Honda feels as if it was made by NASA.

Right there you about hit the nail on the head. A Harley feels real and substantial not just some bits and bytes. After a late night ride you will never sit in the garage and listen to your Honda cool down like you will a Harley.   myopinion

As for the OP I'm going to have to call B.S. First off you don't drive a motorcycle you ride it so anything thereafter I have a hard time taking seriously.  hidex

I hate to call a guy a liar when I really don’t know him but I doubt you rode a 2006 Fat Boy, this just smells of troll bait. The biggest hole in your argument is the old reliable vibration angle.   trollingx

Here is the problem a 45 degree engine with a single pin crank is inherently unbalanced. Harley calms these vibrations in two different manners. First method which is used on the Touring family of bikes and the Dyna family is to rubber mount them. At idle as Merk noticed the front tire will dance around and if the bike has a 21” front tire it shake like a coon dog shitting a peach seed. However once the bike gets underway those vibes are smoothed out by the rubber mounts. The engine will still be dancing but the frame flies free.

The other method and most important in this discussion is balancer shafts. See the Softail line of which this phantom Fat Boy is a member has a balanced motor. The Softail line is most known for its old school look one part of this look is how close the engine fits in the frame rails. Because of this tight fit Harley could not rubber mount this engine and let it dance around. The Twin Cam B (for balanced) motor came out one year after the Dyna and Touring Twin Cam came out. This motor uses some pretty substantial balance shafts to smooth the engine out to the point where you could let the bike idle with a closed soda on the handlebars and you wouldn’t worry opening it. Softails plain and simple do not vibrate at idle or while under way.
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

• Tool Slut
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »
As for the OP I'm going to have to call B.S. First off you don't drive a motorcycle you ride it so anything thereafter I have a hard time taking seriously.  hidex
I hate to call a guy a liar when I really don’t know him but I doubt you rode a 2006 Fat Boy, this just smells of troll bait. The biggest hole in your argument is the old reliable vibration angle.   trollingx

I dont know what to tell you guys. it vibrated.

I was checking out a Dnepr sidecar rig at a military vehicle show.  This guy didn’t know squat about the bike and started asking me questions we talked bikes for a half hour. (Dnepr owner never showed up) He said he was a harley guy, and I want a BMW. He said if I ever road a harley I wouldn’t want a beemer. I said I didn’t know I had never rode one, but I was skeptical. His bike was not stock from what I could tell. (straight black chrome pipes and what appeared to be a larger air cleaner)(I don’t know for sure I am obviously not a harley guy)
My last factory street bike was a stone stock Yamaha Vmax.
I did ride it with preconceived notions but was trying to keep an open mind. I was in pain from standing so long and I was supper paranoid riding without a helmet (we just changed the law in Michigan.)
Its only my opinion guys and you don’t have to agree.

― Dr. Seuss

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 02:33:04 AM »
I really don't see why this thread was moved to the bash and bang section.

Bruce.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline X1 Mike

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2012, 02:45:46 AM »
Here is good video proof of what I was explaining. Watch these videos and take note of just how tight the engine fits against other hard parts such as the fuel tank. If the bike vibrated like claimed the rocker box covers would beat the living hell out of the fuel tank. The clearances prove otherwise.

2006 Harley-Davidson FLSTFSE2 Screamin Eagle Fatboy CVO

2006 Harley-Davidson Screamin Eagle Fatboy 103CI Baker 6-Speed

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:53:28 AM by X1 Mike »
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline walrus

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »
My only problem with Harleys is their exhaust or lack thereof. I live on an Island connected by bridge at the other end, its about 1mile across the bay and I can hear Harleys going down the road, that is just obnoxious. The only other vehicles I can hear are Snow Plows and jake Brakes. Thats my only beef. Why can a bike be that loud but my Mustang can't?
I swear their ain't no heaven but I pray their ain't no hell

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »
i know a LOT of 1%ers and they are the nicest people to hang around with. they know the meaning of the word RESPECT. if you show respect you get respect, no different that anyone. show your ass it will get handed to you. you all need to stop watching all of those tv shows, they are simply made up bullshit. especially sons of anarchy.

so you know where you can shove your "nasty 1%ers" comment..............if this is going to turn out like the "no colors" thread i am prepared. you see i don't just watch the "lifestyle" i live it 24/7/365.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »
UB, there is another American made motorcycle, Victory.  I have an 04 King Pin.  It is fast, powerful and smooth.

X1 Mike, thanks for the explanation on vibration, and I don't know Harley's models at all, but many sure do shake at stop lights.

I agree with Krusty on loud pipes.  I can assure you, people know I'm coming. 

I don't think FF is trolling, but FM,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's his job isn't it?

As to the mystique of a Harley, nothing sounds like a Harley, has the aftermarket selections for customizing, holds its resale value and looks as cool. 

Why did I buy a Victory then.  2 reasons.  Less maintenance on the motor.  Heard too many horror stories on big repair bills for HD's and I wouldn't do the work myself.  Second, I bought a 4 year old Victory with 6400 miles on it for $8500.  Saved $10K off list. 
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

• Tool Slut
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence FF. I would like to think my integrity was without question, but apparently not so.
I understand the fanatical defense and blind loyalty. I see it all the time.
I still don’t understand the preordained decision of non bikers. And it is apparent the question will remain unanswered.
And I will repeat my opening sentence in the OP I never intended to piss off anyone
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »
FF I don't think your question can be answered, either you got the feeling for HD's or you don't. I've never wanted a MC but if I did it would be HD, just like if I could have any car it would be a 427 SC Cobra.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »
FF I don't think your question can be answered, either you got the feeling for HD's or you don't

there is the problem........ the question has been answered over and over but he refuses to accept it because it doesn't fit his pre-concieved notion......he doesn't get it and never will, so why ask in the first place.

kinda like arguing tool brands and saying "i don't want to piss anyone off but if you like cornwell tools your an idiot because i don't"

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
People who have never owned a bike dream of harleys. I guess it is just the bike is a universal symbol of freedom and the harley style is what they conjure up.

jesus dorthy.......you've been in kansas all along noevil

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »
Yall need to get ye some........lol 

• Tool Slut
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »
oh god no merk women please pukey pukey
― Dr. Seuss

Offline X1 Mike

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »
Yall need to get ye some........lol

Notice that Tub-O is on a Kawasaki.    :)) :)) :))

Offline walrus

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
s.  I can assure you, people know I'm coming.   
They hear you going not so sure they hear you coming.
I swear their ain't no heaven but I pray their ain't no hell

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
They need to blow this when they are near cars..

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
They need to blow this when they are near cars..

Loud pipes, you should have photoshopped a train horn facing the front on a bike. lolx

Offline j.c.whitney

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2012, 11:34:51 PM »
Take a Harley-Davidson test ride, may have to update shockwave player first.
http://cycletownusa.com/HarleyInetcycletown.htm

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
I dont care what people  ride. They can ride a donkey if they want to. the main thing I have noticed about Harley riders is it seems like all of them have the same stupid look on their faces.. you know what Im talking about

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »
hey now i was born with that stupid look  fishslap

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »
Saw someone I haven't seen in a while.  She told me she just brought her husband home from the hospital, Sunday, and he was lucky to make it.  He was on a scooter, and was hit by an F250, on March 31st.  He has a way to go yet, almost lost a leg, was in a coma for a while, some other issues.
No, I don't know the size of the scooter, and there are other factors, I can see that could contribute to legal issues (both with the state and with any court case).  Under 49cc no license is required. (think that was his scooter)  I see that could be a problem as her husband (getting up there in years), is mostly deaf.  This made me think of Deafautotech, who I thought joined here, long ago (don't see him over here though) who rides.  Loud pipes do let others know your around, they don't always let others know where (sounds echo), so I wonder how they affect the operator and his attention?

No bike is 100% safe, in the same way that no car is 100% safe.  I had a friend who took his m-i-l on his motorcycle (he actually liked and got along with her), and someone intentionally chased and ran him down.  He put himself in between her and the vehicle, which I expect was just as much law enforcement training as getting along with her.

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »
What I dont understand about mopeds is why they go 40 mph or more in traffic just like a big motorcycle. I thought they had a limit on how fast they go YET THE COPS DO NOTHING. Another thing is why arent they required to have insurance to protect others WHEN THEY CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.  go figure. We wont even start on the bike riders who dont obey the traffic laws and pass cars and go between cars at lights . They aren't suppose to do that.yet again WHERE ARE THE COPS? Its also funny about the motorcycle riders that say that making loud noise is for their safety YET they are often the first ones to  say wearing a helmet is their option.....sorta stupid logic I think. The thing about the noise is a dumb argument because if it is for people to hear them coming WHY DO THEY GUN THEIR ENGINES WHEN THEY ARE STOPPED AT LIGHTS?  Its because they are ass holes with stupid looks on their faces...lol

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
Its also funny about the motorcycle riders that say that making loud noise is for their safety YET they are often the first ones to  say wearing a helmet is their option.....sorta stupid logic I think. The thing about the noise is a dumb argument because if it is for people to hear them coming WHY DO THEY GUN THEIR ENGINES WHEN THEY ARE STOPPED AT LIGHTS?  Its because they are ass holes with stupid looks on their faces...lol
let me address your concerns........first without a helmet i have less neck fatigue and am more aware of my surroundings (your perfrial vision is better). but mainly i don't think hemets save lives, you just have a better chance of an open coffin.
second i can see gunning an engine at a stop light if you have a misadjusted carbuerator..........or at an extended idle you need to keep the rpm's around 1000 to keep the oil flowing.

Offline tyreguy25

• Super Hero
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »
What I dont understand about mopeds is why they go 40 mph or more in traffic just like a big motorcycle. I thought they had a limit on how fast they go YET THE COPS DO NOTHING. Another thing is why arent they required to have insurance to protect others WHEN THEY CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.  go figure. We wont even start on the bike riders who dont obey the traffic laws and pass cars and go between cars at lights . They aren't suppose to do that.yet again WHERE ARE THE COPS? Its also funny about the motorcycle riders that say that making loud noise is for their safety YET they are often the first ones to  say wearing a helmet is their option.....sorta stupid logic I think. The thing about the noise is a dumb argument because if it is for people to hear them coming WHY DO THEY GUN THEIR ENGINES WHEN THEY ARE STOPPED AT LIGHTS?  Its because they are ass holes with stupid looks on their faces...lol

You mention loud pipes for safety, and I must say that yes, it makes sense. When a dumbass in a car is bouncing along jamming to their Timberland or whatever the hell else they listen to, do you think they are looking in their mirrors for Krusty riding up beside them? Nope, they are solely focused on their music and their own shit. If they were to truly look, they could save a lot of trouble. The loud pipes allow the biker to be heard, and eventually seen.
Andy

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »
I didnt know that harleys would have an oil pressure drop that requires extra rpms at stops. It does make sense though. I guess the whole thing depends on who the rider is. Most people obey the laws . I for one would be afraid to ride on any public street with cars and they need to hear a bike coming . There needs to be another way to alert drivers other than by real loud cut off pipes though. Maybe a beeper that goes beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep would help.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2012, 12:39:45 AM »
While the pipes on a Harley might make you more visible in traffic I think they are pretty cool in their own right. Makes a Harley sound like a Harley.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

Offline tyreguy25

• Super Hero
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »
I didnt know that harleys would have an oil pressure drop that requires extra rpms at stops. It does make sense though. I guess the whole thing depends on who the rider is. Most people obey the laws . I for one would be afraid to ride on any public street with cars and they need to hear a bike coming . There needs to be another way to alert drivers other than by real loud cut off pipes though. Maybe a beeper that goes beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep would help.

There is another way to alert people. It is called people pay attention dammit.

While the pipes on a Harley might make you more visible in traffic I think they are pretty cool in their own right. Makes a Harley sound like a Harley.

That is right. I wish the V-Rod sounded that way, however, the performance makes up for it.
Andy

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »
I knew an EMT who saw many bike accidents. Most were caused by fools "who didnt see him" . Now with the fools texting  it is even more dangerious...

Offline tyreguy25

• Super Hero
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »
I knew an EMT who saw many bike accidents. Most were caused by fools "who didnt see him" . Now with the fools texting  it is even more dangerious...

Now, would loud pipes have made a difference? Perhaps.
Andy

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »

Problem with loud pipes is 90% of the sound goes out the back.  Now if you reverse the pipes and put the outlets to the front.......

That said.. I no-noing hate loud pipes.  And not just Harleys and clones, but crotch rockets and cars too (both muscle and ricers)

I got no problem with a slight rumble at idle, but straight pipes are damn annoying. Vehicles should be required to maintain their stock noise level, technically I believe its the law, but its never enforced.
ambitious but rubbish

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »

That said.. I no-noing hate loud pipes.  And not just Harleys and clones, but crotch rockets and cars too (both muscle and ricers)

banx banx banx

What the heck is wrong with you???  Loud exhaust is ordained as good lolx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline tyreguy25

• Super Hero
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »

Problem with loud pipes is 90% of the sound goes out the back.  Now if you reverse the pipes and put the outlets to the front.......

I got no problem with a slight rumble at idle, but straight pipes are damn annoying. Vehicles should be required to maintain their stock noise level, technically I believe its the law, but its never enforced.

You think that is a law where? A lot of places have a dB limit, but as far as saying that you cannot go louder than stock is ridiculous. How about cars that come from the factory with modified exhausts? How about race cars and bikes? How about rednecks with dual exhaust on their half ton trucks? How about hot rods that were never meant to run a SBC in a 23T? Should that SBC be muffled to the point of excessive backpressure to maintain the factory noise level, which they had no ways to test. I don't think you have thought this through. Straight pipes are loud, but don't do good things for performance most of the time. What is wrong with a performance baffled exhaust system that increases sound as well as performance?
Andy

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

You think that is a law where? A lot of places have a dB limit, but as far as saying that you cannot go louder than stock is ridiculous. How about cars that come from the factory with modified exhausts? How about race cars and bikes? How about rednecks with dual exhaust on their half ton trucks? How about hot rods that were never meant to run a SBC in a 23T? Should that SBC be muffled to the point of excessive backpressure to maintain the factory noise level, which they had no ways to test. I don't think you have thought this through. Straight pipes are loud, but don't do good things for performance most of the time. What is wrong with a performance baffled exhaust system that increases sound as well as performance?

Sometimes I play a long, and I am  sure we all have hot buttons; but this is Fairlaneman and ALL he does is fish and troll bait.

Offline tyreguy25

• Super Hero
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »

Sometimes I play a long, and I am  sure we all have hot buttons; but this is Fairlaneman and ALL he does is fish and troll bait.

Truth...right there.
Andy

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »

Tags: