Author Topic: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?  (Read 21177 times)

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
Re: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »
I knew an EMT who saw many bike accidents. Most were caused by fools "who didnt see him" . Now with the fools texting  it is even more dangerious...

Now, would loud pipes have made a difference? Perhaps.

Problem with loud pipes is 90% of the sound goes out the back.  Now if you reverse the pipes and put the outlets to the front.......

That said.. I no-noing hate loud pipes.  And not just Harleys and clones, but crotch rockets and cars too (both muscle and ricers)

I got no problem with a slight rumble at idle, but straight pipes are damn annoying. Vehicles should be required to maintain their stock noise level, technically I believe its the law, but its never enforced.
ambitious but rubbish

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »

That said.. I no-noing hate loud pipes.  And not just Harleys and clones, but crotch rockets and cars too (both muscle and ricers)

banx banx banx

What the heck is wrong with you???  Loud exhaust is ordained as good lolx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline tyreguy25

• Super Hero
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
I knew an EMT who saw many bike accidents. Most were caused by fools "who didnt see him" . Now with the fools texting  it is even more dangerious...

Problem with loud pipes is 90% of the sound goes out the back.  Now if you reverse the pipes and put the outlets to the front.......

I got no problem with a slight rumble at idle, but straight pipes are damn annoying. Vehicles should be required to maintain their stock noise level, technically I believe its the law, but its never enforced.

You think that is a law where? A lot of places have a dB limit, but as far as saying that you cannot go louder than stock is ridiculous. How about cars that come from the factory with modified exhausts? How about race cars and bikes? How about rednecks with dual exhaust on their half ton trucks? How about hot rods that were never meant to run a SBC in a 23T? Should that SBC be muffled to the point of excessive backpressure to maintain the factory noise level, which they had no ways to test. I don't think you have thought this through. Straight pipes are loud, but don't do good things for performance most of the time. What is wrong with a performance baffled exhaust system that increases sound as well as performance?
Andy

Offline Wantedabiggergarage

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

You think that is a law where? A lot of places have a dB limit, but as far as saying that you cannot go louder than stock is ridiculous. How about cars that come from the factory with modified exhausts? How about race cars and bikes? How about rednecks with dual exhaust on their half ton trucks? How about hot rods that were never meant to run a SBC in a 23T? Should that SBC be muffled to the point of excessive backpressure to maintain the factory noise level, which they had no ways to test. I don't think you have thought this through. Straight pipes are loud, but don't do good things for performance most of the time. What is wrong with a performance baffled exhaust system that increases sound as well as performance?

Sometimes I play a long, and I am  sure we all have hot buttons; but this is Fairlaneman and ALL he does is fish and troll bait.
Well, I guess a rule disallows, my use of a Dennis Leary song as my signature, LOL.

Offline tyreguy25

• Super Hero
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »

Sometimes I play a long, and I am  sure we all have hot buttons; but this is Fairlaneman and ALL he does is fish and troll bait.

Truth...right there.
Andy

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »

Tags: