Author Topic: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?  (Read 21178 times)

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • former beer drinker and hell raiser
Re: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »

Its a lifestyle, nothing else.  The bike runs, Harley's get you to the local bar so you can admire the chrome on the parked bikes and that is all some people want.

kinda.........maybe that is some peoples "lifestyle" those are the same people who build a street rod just to go to car show's. there are many of us in motorcycle clubs who actually RIDE rain or shine and don't stop at a bar for 300 miles at a time.

the funny thing to me, over the years i have hear all of this CRAP from people who have nevr ridden a harley davidson......but i usually run into them years later and they now ride a harley davidson.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »
Yeah, that HD "lifestyle" thing is a bit of a cliche' these days. It's more a catch phrase --

Last year I was camping up in the Shenandoah mountains and this "biker club" pulls in. They had all the requirements; leather, colors, tats, women,.. you get the point. They set up camp and then the fun started. Soon after their $500K mobile homes and cycle trailers (i.e. support vehicles) showed up and parked next to us.

They all were talkin' the "Harley Lifestyle" crap and "talked the talk". Kicker was that the next day we found out that everyone of these guys and gals were actually a bunch of upper middle class Washington DC professionals (doctors, engineers, executives, etc..) who dress the part on weekends. They trailer their bikes to nice scenic areas and then ride only that portion. When they are done, they trailer the bikes back home. It's a free country, but I don't think that this is the "Harley Lifestyle" that most people associate with the brand. Unfortunately, marketing has made it such. 

Offline Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
frustratedx

no shit.........the only reason anyone would post this kind of topic is to be a F@$KING troll..........

i had a honda once............i never got a blowjob in the bathroom of a bar from a chick for a ride on it.

Now that's just funny.  And the obvious mathematical comparison can't be overlooked.   
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Offline atlinwi202

• Livin' the Dream
Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »
Why would anybody want a classic big block car? They don't corner well, have terrible sound insulation and mediocre handling. Besides that there are new ars that are much faster.
-Andy

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
Why would anybody want a classic big block car? They don't corner well, have terrible sound insulation and mediocre handling. Besides that there are new ars that are much faster.

Not quite apples to apples, a classic big block muscle car was an automotive pinnacle. 400 hp, brutal acceleration for the time. A modern car say a ZRI Camaro, also a pinnacle, 585 HP brutal acceleration fast as hell.
Harleys are not the pinnacle of motorcycle engineering. They have evolved and are improvements on the original but not a flagship for breed.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Online brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »

Because they are fast. Can't say the same for a Harley.
And yes, I have owned a Harley before and will own one again but my old 1982 Honda nighthawk 450 would beat most Harleys.
I'm kinda into older jap bikes right now but a Minimalist hard tail Harley is my next project.
I like all bikes. They all have their place.
However... If I could have only one... A ducati.

Bruce.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 12:48:22 AM »
The mystique, the "lifestyle", the attraction of an iconic make, all these plus the excellent job Harley has done advertising!
My Harley rides have been '49 Panhead, '62 Duoglide, '72 Electraglide.
I have been into motorcycles for 50 years, and have ridden most makes, and owned many of them.  I went through the club scene, outlaw scene, and then the family friendly club scene. Went to too many rallies to count and enjoyed it all, but since about 1987 or so, HD made big changes,  especially on who they marketed the machines to. They knew what they were doing, going after the Yuppie market, leaving behind the riders who kept them going for decades when the bikes were not well built at all.
I worked at a large dealership in Houston as Service Manager when the changes started affecting who walked in the door to buy Harleys. No offense to any here, but I was not one of them anymore.
I ride my old BMW R100/7 to work as often as possible, and don't do the rallies and group rides anymore.
    Tool Talk
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »
for those of you who say a harley isn't fast,  i can introduce you to some folks who own VERY fast HD motorcycles. sure you'll come back with hayabusa's that will go 180 mph but do you know any roads that are smooth enough for that?  130 on a chopper is fast in anyones book. hell my bagger will roll 110.

Offline robleticia

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Because they are just no-noing bad ass, that's why! :mr: myopinion

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
frustratedx

no shit.........the only reason anyone would post this kind of topic is to be a F@$KING troll..........

i had a honda once............i never got a blowjob in the bathroom of a bar from a chick for a ride on it.
;) You must not have met the right chick

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
I've only owned Hondas. But I'd like to get a Harley. My brother has a Softtail that I've ridden on a couple of times. It feels like it was made by big sweaty blacksmiths while the Honda feels as if it was made by NASA. Even so I want a Harley. Same as I want a 1970 big block SuperBee

• Tool Slut
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
I have always had bikes, never a Harley.   When I bought my Victory a few years back a friend of mine questioned why I didn't buy a Harley, he looked up the price of my Vic and said for that money I could have had a Harley.  He does not ride and never has, his wife won't let him get a bike.  He believe(d) that Harley was the very best bike on the road and could not understand why I did not buy one since I spent nearly the same amount.   Its called advertising , Harley does a very good job of advertising the lifestyle, not the bike.   When I bought my BMW recently, again he asked why because this time I spent more than Harley.  He believes they are the best and if his wife lets him get a bike it likely will be a Harley unless I can talk him into a bike.

Its a lifestyle, nothing else.  The bike runs, Harley's get you to the local bar so you can admire the chrome on the parked bikes and that is all some people want.

This right here is what I really don’t understand. Why someone not steeped in bike tradition feels this way.

Ever since my son was born I have really wanted a sidecar rig. Not a velorex on a goldwing but it has to be an Ural/Dnepr/chang jiang rig. Too many days spent watching rat patrol and Hogan’s heroes. If I ever have spare money shooting out of my butt I would love to own one. I will go in with both eyes open to the fact that speeds above 45 mph start to get dangerous and 60 mph is scarry.
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
I have always had bikes, never a Harley.   When I bought my Victory a few years back a friend of mine questioned why I didn't buy a Harley, he looked up the price of my Vic and said for that money I could have had a Harley.  He does not ride and never has, his wife won't let him get a bike.  He believe(d) that Harley was the very best bike on the road and could not understand why I did not buy one since I spent nearly the same amount.   Its called advertising , Harley does a very good job of advertising the lifestyle, not the bike.   When I bought my BMW recently, again he asked why because this time I spent more than Harley.  He believes they are the best and if his wife lets him get a bike it likely will be a Harley unless I can talk him into a bike.

This right here is what I really don’t understand. Why someone not steeped in bike tradition feels this way.

Ever since my son was born I have really wanted a sidecar rig. Not a velorex on a goldwing but it has to be an Ural/Dnepr/chang jiang rig. Too many days spent watching rat patrol and Hogan’s heroes. If I ever have spare money shooting out of my butt I would love to own one. I will go in with both eyes open to the fact that speeds above 45 mph start to get dangerous and 60 mph is scarry.

cool.......to each his own.

BUT you'll notice that none of us harley riders started a thread craping on russian sidecar bikes decause they are out of date slow pieces of crap....... SHF

• Tool Slut
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »

cool.......to each his own.

BUT you'll notice that none of us harley riders started a thread craping on russian sidecar bikes decause they are out of date slow pieces of crap....... SHF

The thing is I was not trying to crap on any bike. I ask you to re read the very first bold sentence in my OP.
I do not buy the marketing angle. I have seen the same advertisements every other 50 year old has seen and I TRULLY do not understand the “ harley is the one and only bike to have” mentality that mikeyr posted.
My great grandpa had an Indian before WWI; grandpa had a Norton when I was a kid. Dad’s first bike was a Honda scrambler. Did none of my family ever get the memo?

IMO there is no such thing as a bad bike. I do hate LOUD bikes and won’t go any further with that.

I really don’t understand it and would like to. Unlike politics I understand even less and don’t want to.
― Dr. Seuss

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
all i will say is I WANT MY MOTORCYCLE AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.............i want everyone to know where i am..........not so they can look at me and say"cool"............so they don't run me the f@#k over.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »

Tags: