Author Topic: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?  (Read 21155 times)

Offline Ratdoggy

Re: Can someone explain the harley thing to me?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
all i will say is I WANT MY MOTORCYCLE AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.............i want everyone to know where i am..........not so they can look at me and say"cool"............so they don't run me the f@#k over.
Reminds me of the "South Park" episode....Turn your volume off as it uses the word no-no.
We're Turning Some Heads!

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • former beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
lol

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
So many people like bikes and of them so many only like harleys  no one can paint them all with the same brush. Those who exceed the legal limits on noise or break any traffic laws should be punished with very large fines and arrest.. When too many of them get together bad things happen period....Look at the death and crime associated with  bikers during the infamous "myrtle beach bike week" when almost all were on harleys  The last time I made the mistake of trying to vacation during this 10 to 20 day long "event" I couldn't sleep for the noise and almost ran over 2 jerks when they ran a red light. No problem with the machines but I do have issue with morons and many morons ride harleys.I loved to ride when younger and it wasnt a harley but to me just as much fun, (and dangerious) see pict

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
lol
I was hoping you'd like it. First time I saw it I was ROTF. I'm not usually a SP fan either.

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Online robleticia

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
all i will say is I WANT MY MOTORCYCLE AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.............i want everyone to know where i am..........not so they can look at me and say"cool"............so they don't run me the f@#k over.

^^^this! Im running straight pipes, no mufflers!

And did I mention the fact that they are just bad ass?!?!?!

Offline Ratdoggy

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »

^^^this! Im running straight pipes, no mufflers!

And did I mention the fact that they are just bad ass?!?!?!

I'm fairly sure that you did

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
FF, with all these posts, and points of view.....what have you gathered from this thread?

Offline blue dog

• Super Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
 A good friend of mine is a salesman at a large Harley dealership here in Los Angeles, he has been selling Harley's for over 20 years. I asked him one day what kind of people are buying expensive brand new Bikes, he quickly replied, these days, 1/2 the people who buy a bike, he is scared to watch them leave the parking lot when the transaction is done. I as well find it interesting that even in this economy, my buddy will sell 5 new bikes on a bad week, and up to 15 on good weeks, and he sells and ships a few bikes to Europe every month, i found that to be interesting.
What's the point of being STUPID, if you don't show it ????

• Tool Slut
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
FF, with all these posts, and points of view.....what have you gathered from this thread?

IMO I did not yet get an answer to my question. I did get a few responses that I knew I would despite my disclaimer. I don’t understand a lot of human behavior so this one will most likely remain a mystery to me. it does go way beyond personal taste though. I. E. I don’t understand the popularity of TV like survivor or dancing with the stars, or why people like Pepsi over Coke, other than people have different tastes.
The goes way beyond that and I can’t explain it any better than Mikeyr’s friend, the “only harley” mentality of people that have never ridden.
I posed the same type of question to a former work buddy who was the president of a Detroit “gang” and he couldn’t answer it other than his dad had one. although the membership was all HO I was invited to the clubhouse despite owning a Vmax at the time. To this day I regret not making the time to do it. hell it took 50 years to finally ride one. I just wish it was a stock one without straight pipes.
I really am trying to understand the mentality and not rag on the marque.
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
i think the OP should have asked why did you choose to purchase a harley davidson motorcyle to begin with instead of the bullshit he DID post.........it may have gotten him better responses th-wink

so i'll start........it's because it's a domestic brand (notice i chose my words carefull to stop the eventual shit storm about domestic content since content has changed in the 30 years i have been riding motorcycles) thumbsup2  the "lifestyle" came later

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »

IMO I did not yet get an answer to my question. I did get a few responses that I knew I would despite my disclaimer. I don’t understand a lot of human behavior so this one will most likely remain a mystery to me. it does go way beyond personal taste though. I. E. I don’t understand the popularity of TV like survivor or dancing with the stars, or why people like Pepsi over Coke, other than people have different tastes.
The goes way beyond that and I can’t explain it any better than Mikeyr’s friend, the “only harley” mentality of people that have never ridden.
i guess the answer doesn't makes sense to you because you don't understand it..........reminds me of a t shirt IF YOU HAVE TO ASK YOU WOULDN"T UNDERSTAND. lolx

I posed the same type of question to a former work buddy who was the president of a Detroit “gang” and he couldn’t answer it other than his dad had one. although the membership was all HO I was invited to the clubhouse despite owning a Vmax at the time. To this day I regret not making the time to do it. hell it took 50 years to finally ride one. I just wish it was a stock one without straight pipes.
I really am trying to understand the mentality and not rag on the marque.

GANG?  it's called a CLUB........what part of that don't you understand?

i guess those that don't understand don't because the don't want to........or they would already

Online robleticia

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
People ride what they ride because its what THEY WANT TO RIDE! Its no different than the fact I would rather drive an ill handling, heavy, no power nothing and no a/c old car from the '50 than my 2009 Chevy XLT fully loaded truck. I want to drive that old car just like I want to ride my Harley, because that is what I like! Have I drove other cars better than my old Chevy? Well yes obviously. Have I ridden a motorcycle that rides smoother and more comfortable than my Harley? Yes. So then why do I choose these over something else, because I WANT TO and THAT IS WHAT I LIKE. Sure some yuppies do it to be cool, but for the most part I think it just boils down to personal preference. thumbsup2

• Tool Slut
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »
People ride what they ride because its what THEY WANT TO RIDE! Its no different than the fact I would rather drive an ill handling, heavy, no power nothing and no a/c old car from the '50 than my 2009 Chevy XLT fully loaded truck. I want to drive that old car just like I want to ride my Harley, because that is what I like! Have I drove other cars better than my old Chevy? Well yes obviously. Have I ridden a motorcycle that rides smoother and more comfortable than my Harley? Yes. So then why do I choose these over something else, because I WANT TO and THAT IS WHAT I LIKE. Sure some yuppies do it to be cool, but for the most part I think it just boils down to personal preference. thumbsup2

Yes! I understand this, I agree 100%. I loved my Buick GS convertible, I love my gas guzzling, slow as molasses jeep. I get choice. Always have.

The “harley thing” I have been referring to is the friend mikeyr referred to.

I.E. why do people who have never ridden anything or know nothing about motorcycles think harley is the be all end all of motorcycles?

Why is the choice “preordained” for mass America? 
― Dr. Seuss

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »
MAMA said no bike for me unless I bought plenty more life insurance....but gezzz I would love to join the club

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »

Tags: