Author Topic: 2004 Subaru Baja head gasket  (Read 99 times)

Offline xtm10

2004 Subaru Baja head gasket
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »
I have a 2004 Subaru Baja with an oil leak from the pass side head gasket. It leaks onto the exhaust and constantly smells and smoke comes from under the hood. The car has about 192,xxx miles on it and I really don't want to pay for a head gasket job on this thing with this kind of miles and the can of worms trying to do this would more then likely open. I have been playing around with the idea of using JB weld, Quiksteel or something like Permatex hi temp red RTV. scrubbing all the paint and corrosion/rust off and cleaning the seam between the head and the block with brake clean or acetone and putting a nice bead along the area. I am wondering if anyone has used the products I mentioned or something else to stop an oil leak.
thanks !!!
The Lord did three beautiful things for me : 1- He made American Motors. 2- Jeeps where made by American Motors. 3- Room in my heart to love them both equally

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: 2004 Subaru Baja head gasket
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
At this point anything is worth a shot -- even if it fails, you haven't lost much. That said, if you put JB weld on it, taking it apart in any future repairs may become a serious headache.

Offline xtm10

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »
Good point with the JB weld, I honestly doubt i'll be doing the head gaskets on it. I was mainly trying to see if anyone has tried this type of repair, how they did it and what they used ? ?
The Lord did three beautiful things for me : 1- He made American Motors. 2- Jeeps where made by American Motors. 3- Room in my heart to love them both equally

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 06:33:50 PM »
it depends on if the oil that is leaking is under pressure or if its draining back to the crankcase. if its under pressure, theres nothing your gonna stick on externally that will stop it. if its return/draining you MIGHT get it slowed down some.

I'd check the PCV and make sure its open and not letting pressure build up in the crankcase.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline lauver

• King of Refurb's
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • PROTO BetR-Grip Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:12 PM »
it depends on if the oil that is leaking is under pressure or if its draining back to the crankcase. if its under pressure, theres nothing your gonna stick on externally that will stop it. if its return/draining you MIGHT get it slowed down some.

I'd check the PCV and make sure its open and not letting pressure build up in the crankcase.

+1 on this suggestion.  Also, check the valve cover gasket as possible source of leak.  And finally, check the head bolts to make sure they are all torqued to spec.
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline nonhog

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
Years back when I was a service writer for Toyota. A lady had a serious oil leak on a 22R timing cover. She could not afford to fix it right(new gaskets) the tech suggested we try cleaning it and running a bead of FIPG at the leak point and it worked. Not sure for how long but the Toyota FIPG is amazing. I suppose other manufacturers have similar stuff but don't waste your time with regular black RTV. Not the same.
Good luck!   
cursed with an eye for potential

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »

Tags: