Author Topic: Scanned Craftsman catalogs  (Read 25678 times)

Offline lauver

• King of Refurb's
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • PROTO BetR-Grip Whore
Re: Scanning Craftsman catalogs
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »
mf,

Just downloaded it.  Looks great.  Thanks for gettin er done.  Let us know when you have others ready to go.
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 02:28:38 PM »
All I can say is "Thank you!!"  -- great job.

Did you notice the prices though? Tools were VERY expensive back in those days. If you do the inflation calculations, most of those tools were in the stratosphere when compared to today. Even when considering current prices of American made items from places like Harry Epstein, the Sears tools were still expensive.

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
Scribd would have been my recommendation as well. I like the way their software lets you browse the items online.

One suggestion, if you would start a thread in the reference area and place all of the links in it. It would make it easier for people to find it.

Sorry for being late replying to this. This week has been nuts around here. All I've managed to do is pop on and off on the droid.
Tool do job = Good tool
When the media is owned by those who believe they have the right to choose leaders, and also believe that only the rich have the right to make decisions, the media ceases to be an objective reporting tool, and becomes an instrument of criminal conspiracy.
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »
True the Rose scans have frustrated me more then they helped me.
Tool do job = Good tool
When the media is owned by those who believe they have the right to choose leaders, and also believe that only the rich have the right to make decisions, the media ceases to be an objective reporting tool, and becomes an instrument of criminal conspiracy.
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
I just got in the 1989 through 1995 catalogs. I will be BUSY.
I'm not a tool addict. I prefer "Dedicated Enthusiast prone to bouts of excessive exuberance."

"I love being purple." - Patrick the star fish

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 12:32:27 AM »
I added the DL link to the 1st post so no one has to search the thread for it. I'll add additional links there too.
I'm not a tool addict. I prefer "Dedicated Enthusiast prone to bouts of excessive exuberance."

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
Re: Scanned Craftsman catalogs
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 03:15:52 AM »
I made the corrections to the 1970 catalog and uploaded the revision. Due to the way I exported the file, the current file is about half the size it originally was. The resolution is the same.

I've also finished the editing on the 2010-2011 catalog. I added the DL link to the original message also.

Offline Joe in PA

• Super Hero
    • Mid-Atlantic Smallies
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 06:37:53 AM »
Looking through the 1970s catalog brought a small tear to my eye as I could just imagine my dad, Lord rest his soul, wearing down the pages dreaming about purchasing many of the tools I own today.  When I found the 5-drawer rolling tool chest, that still sits in my garage today on pg 104 listing for $87.99, I just knew he sweated over dropping that much coin on a box as I am doing some 35+ yrs later.  At that point I had to close the window before I totally lost it.

Thank you sir for taking the time to make this catalog so readily available to all of us.  Your efforts are appreciated more than you'll ever know. beerdude
Saving a small piece of American history one tool at a time

My eBay listings

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 12:09:03 AM »
I'm gonna try to get back to the scans soon. Here are the catalogs I have.

1970 (already scanned)
1972/73
1974/75

These next ones have a "Prices Good Thru" date on them. These are the dates.

1-3-89
9-1-90
9-1-91
8-31-93

The rest appear to be Fall/Winter tool catalogs.

1994/95
1995/96
2007/08
2008/09
2009/10
2010/11 (already scanned)

Is there any particular catalog anyone would like to see next or should I just pick one? The next logical one would be the 1969 catalog. It's not available anywhere in a PDF.

Offline lbgradwell

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »
Is there any particular catalog anyone would like to see next or should I just pick one? The next logical one would be the 1969 catalog. It's not available anywhere in a PDF.

Yes, 1969 or 1974/75 as the other early ones are at least available in low-res...

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »
Ditto!! There was a big transition in OEM's and styling within those years and these two catalog years would show the contrasts very well.

Yes, 1969 or 1974/75 as the other early ones are at least available in low-res...

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
Does anyone have a full version of Adobe Acrobat that would be willing to help with editing? I can scan a catalog in an hour or so but it's the cropping and page aligning that takes so much time.

Offline lbgradwell

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »
Does anyone have a full version of Adobe Acrobat that would be willing to help with editing?

I do & am...

Offline dawg

• Super Hero
  • dreamin' about a living
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
Looking through the 1970s catalog brought a small tear to my eye as I could just imagine my dad, Lord rest his soul, wearing down the pages dreaming about purchasing many of the tools I own today.  When I found the 5-drawer rolling tool chest, that still sits in my garage today on pg 104 listing for $87.99, I just knew he sweated over dropping that much coin on a box as I am doing some 35+ yrs later.  At that point I had to close the window before I totally lost it.

Thank you sir for taking the time to make this catalog so readily available to all of us.  Your efforts are appreciated more than you'll ever know. beerdude

What you said is awesome Joe. It never really occurred to me before. Then again my Dad didn't have a lot to do with hand tools (social worker). We were more at odds in that manner. But GREAT thoughts.

Steve

Offline dawg

• Super Hero
  • dreamin' about a living
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 11:22:05 AM »
I'm gonna try to get back to the scans soon. Here are the catalogs I have.

. . . Is there any particular catalog anyone would like to see next or should I just pick one? The next logical one would be the 1969 catalog. It's not available anywhere in a PDF.

Thanks for the effort but that Scrbd service won't allow a download without paying $9 a month or uploading a document in return. Sure would like to get a pdf of those catalogs. I also noticed the file size was huge at around 89MB but thanks again for your efforts.  th-smile

Steve

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 11:22:05 AM »

Tags: