Author Topic: Anybody Have a Chevy Volt? Continued from GJMS  (Read 5362 times)

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Re: Anybody Have a Chevy Volt? Continued from GJMS
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
Bull, I'm glad you caught that before he corrected that mistake :D

Thank you, sir.

I don't expect to change anyone's opinion at all.  I'm just at times unable to let certain things stand unopposed.  There is nothing to be gained by speaking up when people start complaining about the other place, but then again, there's nothing lost, either.  I was surprised by this recent batch of vitriol since we haven't had any in a long time.  I had thought that, as this place has grown and become more established, folks had found it less necessary to complain about some other place that they like less.  The Trans Am sits, and sits, and sits.  Until school is over, I have essentially zero time to work on it.  The few spare hours on the weekends are taken with other stuff that needs to be kept higher up on the priority list.

I doubt discussions of GJ will ever stop entirely here. After all, first the GH, then later this place both happened because of guys leaving/banned from GJ. For at least some of us the time of really caring about the circumstances of our departure is no longer relevent to our routine discussions here. However, almost every time a banned GJ member shows up here the discussion of their departure will reignite those discussions. So you see, this is the option for some once they have been banned, while others simply opt GG over GJ. As long as GJ refugees whether by choice, or banning keep showing up here then I suspect discussions like these will continue; so I do not see these discussions ever stopping entirely as long as both sites exist.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
it seems as if there is an occasional event that alienates a group of people and they migrate here. they have some issues they need to unload and they do. frustratedx   when they cool off most of them stay here or migrate back and forth. some have probably left here being mad also. the two places are quite differant and yet somewhat the same. does that make sense?  lolx

It is because of the politics and all the damned conservatives that seem to hang out here.............(ya can't seem to sling a dead cat without hittin one of the sorry so and so's!)  myopinion
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Bull

• Chief Blackhawk
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
Bull, I'm glad you caught that before he corrected that mistake :D

Thank you, sir.

I don't expect to change anyone's opinion at all.  I'm just at times unable to let certain things stand unopposed.  There is nothing to be gained by speaking up when people start complaining about the other place, but then again, there's nothing lost, either.  I was surprised by this recent batch of vitriol since we haven't had any in a long time.  I had thought that, as this place has grown and become more established, folks had found it less necessary to complain about some other place that they like less.  The Trans Am sits, and sits, and sits.  Until school is over, I have essentially zero time to work on it.  The few spare hours on the weekends are taken with other stuff that needs to be kept higher up on the priority list.

I doubt discussions of GJ will ever stop entirely here. After all, first the GH, then later this place both happened because of guys leaving/banned from GJ. For at least some of us the time of really caring about the circumstances of our departure is no longer relevent to our routine discussions here. However, almost every time a banned GJ member shows up here the discussion of their departure will reignite those discussions. So you see, this is the option for some once they have been banned, while others simply opt GG over GJ. As long as GJ refugees whether by choice, or banning keep showing up here then I suspect discussions like these will continue; so I do not see these discussions ever stopping entirely as long as both sites exist.

I hear ya.  Today's two threads regarding this weren't even from recently banned folks.  One just wanted to pop in to say he felt like he might be banned one day, and one was just transporting a thread topic from over there, to here.

Anyway...I need to figure out what kind of tool post to make.

Offline Joe in PA

• Super Hero
    • Mid-Atlantic Smallies
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
I would encourage everyone else to allow bull to simply be as you guys are, any other member.

I now say live and let live.  beerdude
While I have no idea what the man has posted in the last couple days, as he is the sole presence on my ignore user list here at GG, it seems to me that the only reason he is not seen as simply another member here is because he chooses not to be.  If that were really what he was looking for here at GG, all he'd really need to do is not reply when one of the GJ bashing threads gets started and most would die down rather quickly.  That he is often the most prolific poster in such threads, suggest to me that he enjoys the drama as much as those he would chastise for causing it.. 

Live & let live indeed but it is a two way street.  If you are going to constantly engage fools that can't let sleeping dogs lie, you will eventually end up with fleas.  myopinion
Saving a small piece of American history one tool at a time

My eBay listings

Offline Bull

• Chief Blackhawk
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
Someone relay this message to my buddy Joe for me:

Hey Joe.  How long do sour grapes take to turn into wine?  You've been distilling that barrel for a long time now.  lolx

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 08:24:33 PM »
Hey Joe.  How long do sour grapes take to turn into wine?  You've been distilling that barrel for a long time now.  lolx

You ferment grapes to produce wine not distill them. You can then distill said wine into brandy if you wish. Just don't let the revenuers catch ya th-wink

No wonder kids these days are so useless. Teachers can't even show them how to make alcohol :POKIE:

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
Bull, while I don't quite  understand Joe's dislike of you, he does have a point and I am starting to believe you enjoy the banter in the GJ bashing threads which is ok with me.  Banter away with wild abandon, and I'm going to step back and enjoy!!!
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Bull

• Chief Blackhawk
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »

You ferment grapes to produce wine not distill them. You can then distill said wine into brandy if you wish. Just don't let the revenuers catch ya th-wink

No wonder kids these days are so useless. Teachers can't even show them how to make alcohol :POKIE:

Damn.  Good catch!  Ok, replace "fermenting" for "distilling" before sending the message along.  lolx

Bull, while I don't quite  understand Joe's dislike of you, he does have a point and I am starting to believe you enjoy the banter in the GJ bashing threads which is ok with me.  Banter away with wild abandon, and I'm going to step back and enjoy!!!

You can call it what you like, and so can Joe.  As I mentioned elsewhere today, some things I can't let stand unopposed.  I am essentially the only person on here who will ever adopt a pro-GJ stance.  One-sided conversations are pretty useless, so I'll jump in when I feel like it.

Offline VSSJim

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
GJMS = Garage Journal Middle School

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103763&showall=1

Anyone else notice when a fight breaks out over there the "Hall Monitor" always rushes in to break things up before anyone gets their feelings hurt.  That must be part of "We build them, We feed them, We make them happy"
http://www.atomicindustry.com/about-atomic/

Like the OP at GJMS, I too would be interested in hearing the impressions of somebody who actually has seen/driven one.  Also interested in what the mechanics, scientists, and engineers think.

I found many of the less informed but highly opinionated posts amusing.  The political conspiracy theories are the best! popcornx  Hopefully here at the real Garage site this will turn into a no holds bared cage match, providing me with hours of entertainment. 

So how does that perpetual motion regenerative braking work again?  Also, could someone explain to me what exactly causes the Volt to stop dead in its tracks if the temperature drops below 32 or rises above 85?  trollingx

Getting down to your question I have seen atleast five Volts in my area  McLean, Va. and the people love them 100%, an HVAC friend has a customer with one and he sure likes the 1000 miles between fill ups and no they won't quit as they always have a gas engine generator to charge the battery. nop mater what the temp is.

Online rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »
I wonder what the reaction at battery pack replacement time will be?
Tool do job = Good tool
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. Robert A. Heinlein
Rusty's Forum

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
Damn.  Good catch!  Ok, replace "fermenting" for "distilling" before sending the message along.  lolx

I don't do PMs anymore hidex I guess you missed Merkgate lolx

You can call it what you like, and so can Joe.  As I mentioned elsewhere today, some things I can't let stand unopposed.  I am essentially the only person on here who will ever adopt a pro-GJ stance.  One-sided conversations are pretty useless, so I'll jump in when I feel like it.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a good debate thumbsup2

Offline wreckercologist

• Court Jester
  • Super Hero
  • Fonzy disciple
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 11:16:49 PM »
I'm interested in seeing how the Volt pans out.  I don't believe I would ever buy one, but I find the tech behind it interesting.  The current problem faced will be weeding out all the bs info/opinions like with anything new.  People hate change, and I'm a people. th-spit

Me too.  I wonder what would happen if you called a Chevy dealer's parts department and asked for a price on a new battery. scratchhead  That might be kind of fun! hornetsx stirthepot SHF trollingx popcornx

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »

Me too.  I wonder what would happen if you called a Chevy dealer's parts department and asked for a price on a new battery. scratchhead  That might be kind of fun! hornetsx stirthepot SHF trollingx popcornx

That could be what kills these stupid "feel good" contraptions. When dealer only repair bills start totaling vehicles that'll kill resale value and drive cost of ownership thru' the roof.

And I don't think the aftermarket will touch hybrids in a big way. I was talking to a buddy that's a service manager for 'yota the other day and he said their hybrids run up to 750v DC. Don't know about anyone else but I like myself way to much to mess with DC that high.

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 12:14:21 AM »
I will admit that I can see where it would be tough to walk the wire between here and GJ for Bull. Not bulls fault but due to the job he does there, a few folks do seem to take it out a bit on him here. I would prefer to simply forget he is a mod over there and treat him as I would any other member here, and in fact, about 95% of the time I am accomplishing that. For the remaining 5% of the time I am trying to keep things positive such as combining our efforts to help a guy out down on his luck, or combining efforts to sniff out a bad actor that can be found both there and here.

I have to admit that it does bother me to a certain extent that Bull is the lead moderator for a site owner that I happen to despise with every ounce of my soul. And I've always assumed that Bull is using GG as a hedge in case anything was to ever happen to GJ.

Online rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 12:40:11 AM »
To go off topic for a second. If you guys would quit mentioning him being a mod over there I would never remember it.

Now back on topic. The high voltage potentials will raise repair costs. Toss in the basically unknown lifespans of all components and things could get interesting. Especially throwing in the high premium paid in initial purchase cost. Paid under the assumption of being recouped by the lesser fuel costs during the ownership period.
Tool do job = Good tool
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. Robert A. Heinlein
Rusty's Forum

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 12:40:11 AM »