Author Topic: Anybody Have a Chevy Volt? Continued from GJMS  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
Re: Anybody Have a Chevy Volt? Continued from GJMS
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 12:46:06 AM »
Back on topic: I don't like the idea of an electric car with an exhaust pipe; it seems to defeat the whole purpose of having an electric car in the first place.

Offline wreckercologist

• Court Jester
  • Super Hero
  • Fonzy disciple
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 01:05:44 AM »

That could be what kills these stupid "feel good" contraptions. When dealer only repair bills start totaling vehicles that'll kill resale value and drive cost of ownership thru' the roof.

And I don't think the aftermarket will touch hybrids in a big way. I was talking to a buddy that's a service manager for 'yota the other day and he said their hybrids run up to 750v DC. Don't know about anyone else but I like myself way to much to mess with DC that high.

I've been bit by 12 volt car batteries several times, and that was plenty.   The potential amperage available in a hybrid would probably mean a closed casket funeral. 

I remember a while back Mac Tools had a special "hybrid" tool kit advertised in a monthly flyer.  Multimeter, screwdrivers, pliers, gloves, floor mat, ect.  That stuff wasn't cheap.

I don't know about the aftermarket.  They always seem to catch up eventually, but this might be one market sector they stay out of.  Probably not enough profit margin, if any, let alone the smaller volume.

Offline wreckercologist

• Court Jester
  • Super Hero
  • Fonzy disciple
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 01:23:35 AM »

The high voltage potentials will raise repair costs. Toss in the basically unknown lifespans of all components and things could get interesting. Especially throwing in the high premium paid in initial purchase cost. Paid under the assumption of being recouped by the lesser fuel costs during the ownership period.

There is also the added training of emergency personel too like fire fighters, police, EMT's, and even tow truck operators that come in contact with these cars after an accident, not to mention if Hazmat gets involved when there is a ruptured battery.  Car insurance?  I'm sure it depends on how bad of an accident, but will these cars end up being "throw aways" due to the repair costs or liabilitys involved with repairing them?   

At work, we had to add a hybrid vehical class the last time we sponsored a towing school.

Offline walrus

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 07:46:34 AM »
Has anyone even seen a Volt on the road? I haven't
I swear their ain't no heaven but I pray their ain't no hell

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
Has anyone even seen a Volt on the road? I haven't

Me neither.  As of now, can be ordered in all 50 states, but have not yet been delivered to all 50 states.

see this link for map.
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/10/2012-chevrolet-volt-priced-at-39-995-now-available-to-order-n/

How about a couple of new threads for this topic?

Engineering and Technical Chevy Volt Discussion
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=6585.0

Politics relating to Government Promotion of Chevy Volt
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=6584.0

Offline scottg

• Super Hero
    • Scotts Tool Page
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »
Yeah I can't wait to hear the price of a battery pack! If someone finds out, please post it.
I get enough battery aggravation out of a cordless drill. Can't wait to find out how long the 387th charge lasts on these things. 
  So far the whole electric car reminds me of solar power.  For only $355,000 you too can save a $75 electric bill.

My DIL just bought a Lexus. 43 miles per gallon! So we have a giant down payment, $600 a month in mostly interest, ludicrous insurance per month,  stupid road tax per year.
 "Yeah but I saved 43 dollars in gas."
 DuH

I saved 12,000 dollars last year getting 18 miles per gallon in my old truck.

Since I don't go into politics and have no desire to go onto GJ, I get to be immune for a lot of stuff.
You are just a regular guy that I like, with a nice barn, Bull. You might have a secret life, with an ax, just don't bring it to my house we'll be fine.
 I never fight for fun. I don't even understand that. I just laugh right up until its time to shoot. It gets me by.
  yours Scott

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
Especially throwing in the high premium paid in initial purchase cost. Paid under the assumption of being recouped by the lesser fuel costs during the ownership period.

I was called back to work in 2010 for a 7 week period. I worked on nothing but Volt stuff that was late.
The 7 weeks, was both the difference between living below the poverty line and eeaking above it.
The last 3 months of my employment in 2009 was Volt stuff that wasn’t yet late.
Thank you Obama motors for making the volt. I love the f#$%ing Volt!

The Volt will NEVER recoup its cost in fuel savings. It MAY or MAY NOT have a lower carbon footprint over its lifetime. But our country will improve more if the Volt is at least a modest success. Bringing the theory into production will allow technology to improve the process. It will never become truly successful until it becomes profitable. This country needs people pushing the envelope to thrive.

Have I ever seen a volt? No, the stores near me have hitching posts for horse and buggies.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

PopPop

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »
This is not a political comment, but the Volt is a politcally designed piece of equipment to solve a perceived problem. May or may not be a real problem to be solved, however. Keeping that in mind, the politicians in Washington will do everything possible to ensure the Volt and others of similar design survive, even flourish. If the hardware doesn't seem economical in todays numbers, the numbers will surely change. Read....gasoline and emission costs are going to sky rocket from the political push. Don't let today's numbers confuse you. I'm personally investing in gas fuel. Washington won't keep all the gas mark up.

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 01:23:51 AM »
Volt? Why bother. As a former owner this is all you need :

The Leaf.... Maybe. Could be a decent commuter city car.
ambitious but rubbish

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 01:23:51 AM »