Author Topic: take apart trailer arrives  (Read 563 times)

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
take apart trailer arrives
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:46:26 AM »
We got the twiches at an auction.....      It always costs money.     I bought a crane boom one time just because I was standing on it so I could see better.     that only cost me $10 and the scrap value was more than that
but be careful.

Actually we intended to buy another one of these --- for parts if nothing else as we have 4 of them already.   the Postage was an eyeopener as it wasn't  like Amazon with free shipping, but I thought you
might be interested in the trailer if nothing else.    It's a take apart trailer.    the Goose neck comes off as you can see to make unloading a little   easier.     What's missing in this picture is the Jeep.

The above photo shows  a jeep.---    that is what you call the extra collection of axles on the front of the trailer.   Since the truck can't get up our driveway with the jeep,  it gets taken out of the train
short of our driveway.

That blue and white thing  took eleven axles and was partially disassembled in that the Boom and  related  riser as well as the cab were carried by  a 40 foot flatbed semi-following....

In the case of  the link belt.--- 10 axles and you are good to go.    --- it has a folding cab that tilts forward hydraullicly so you aren't over height.     In this case  219 miles or so  to our shop.    No flag truck required
on the interstate--- but once you get on the 2 lane you need a flag car....       It's why loggers pickups usually have a headache rack in the front stake pockets of the bed with a couple amber rotating beacons   stickng
above the cab.  with a   folding 'wide load sign'  between them.    When it's your turn to be pilot car--- you turn on the lights, and flip up the sign and are good to go.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: take apart trailer arrives
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »
Cool == thanks for the education.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »

+1

Is the Link Belt solely for parts or will it work?
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline lostmind

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »
Always enjoy your posts
Thanks
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most.
It's ALL for sale

Online skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »
cool trip, let's see it put together.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
Nice to see the big stuff in action.  Seen them come apart, winch on the trailer to pull it back together?

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »
Always enjoy your posts
Thanks
Same here! Always learn something!
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Millwrong

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 05:36:59 PM »
Nice looking rig!   Up here we call that a jeep & stinger detachable float.  I used to drive heavy haul before I got into a trade, and I kinda miss it! ;)

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »

+1

Is the Link Belt solely for parts or will it work?

it works.   it has some electrical problems.   that is about a 1989 model.    The good news of them is that
these are  'transitional models'---   they came with quite a bit of on board electronics  but all of it
is bypassable.    meaning that it works just fine without the electronics ....

Newer machines are like newer cars--- somewhere they have a bunch of computer cards  which do all
sorts of cool things when they work but   are unfixible when the electronics die.

The main thing these machines had is a master readout computer screen that served in place of a traditional
instrument panel   so when the electronics quit  you either have to add classic  temperature  and  oil pressure
guages  or risk the consequences.

in specific answer to you question.    haven't decided whether it's a user or a parts machine.     We need to
assess it and decide.

The machine seems to have a good engine,   and a good   'Rotek'  (the main rotation bearing for the house)

The tracks are a train wreck,    but they are easier to move over than the Rotek bearing  and engine
and we got a machine with a lame engine and   Roteck bearing.     What we have to look at very carefullly
is the hydraulic system.    Despite the very American  Link-belt name,  this is really  a japanese execavator
with aftermarket modifications with a high pressure hydraulic system....     We need to inspect the hydraulic system very carefully.    These machines are best thrown away if they have a pump failure.

The problem is that if a pump comes apart or starts to--- it pumps cuttings all over the system, and at the pressures (high) and tolerances (very small)   --- ever getting one cleaned well enough to use again
after a catastrophic pump failure  is pretty iffy....

Among the things we need to do is  exercise it for a while (in case it had recent filter changes and then cut open the hydraulic filters, and if we find enough glitter in there to decorate  for Christmas...........

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 07:34:17 PM »
Nice to see the big stuff in action.  Seen them come apart, winch on the trailer to pull it back together?

Actually re-assembly is pretty easy, but depends on the brand of trailer.    The sort of trailer you see
here has the front frame rails of the trailer sticking  out.    to reassemble you just back up the truck and
the frame rails stick in the slots on the back of the gooseneck while the trailer is sitting on the ground as shown.
those frame rails have a notch in the bottom of them.       There are hydralic jack stands on the back of the goose
neck that will raise it  and catch the hooks on the trailer frame   and when lifted there are locks and blocks
that will hold the trailer together and prevent it from hinging down.

you need a solid place to do this---particularly when loading  because those jack stands have to pick
up the front of the loaded trailer..... and more than one soft parking lot has gotten  1 foot square hole punched
in it  (the size of the bottom of the jack stands)

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »
Nice looking rig!   Up here we call that a jeep & stinger detachable float.  I used to drive heavy haul before I got into a trade, and I kinda miss it! ;)

heavy haul is something all by itself.    a former logger handles most of this stuff  around here and all for us.

we have off highway heavy haul stuff, but the highway is another story.

for those who want to see photos of various heavy haul trailers a good website to look at
is     http://www.generaltrailerparts.com/

they have all kinds of heavy haul trailers with pictures...... on this website.

We have one of their 25 ton tilt bed trailers.....   it's great for things within it's capacity.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »

Tags: