Author Topic: New storage cabinet  (Read 812 times)

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
New storage cabinet
« on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:26 AM »
Yesterday I went over to my friend's place and he was cleaning out a big storage shed he sold. It had held stuff belonging to his mother who passed away years back and when I looked inside I saw a metal card file type cabinet. As I went inside while watching the rats to make sure that none ran up my pants leg, I opened the drawers and they were full of junk but absolutely no rat or mice poop was inside the drawers. The cabinet was built so well the critters couldn't get into it. I asked my friend about the cabinet and he said it was going to the dump. Well, it came home with me last night.
I took it off the truck with the forklift this morning and proceeded to remove the drawers and roller racks that held the drawers and washed everything to ensure there was no rat odor anywhere before it went into the shop. This thing is built like a tank and very heavy with 5 ball bearing rollers on each side of the drawer racks. It uses the oval type cabinet lock that you push in to lock it and it pops out when you unlock it with a key but the lock is missing. The mechanism that moves the lock bar down to lock the drawers is intact so I just need a new lock.

1st pic is the 5 drawers removed and you can see the roller racks for the drawers. 2nd pic is looking up in the corner at the mechanism which is moved by the lock. 3rd pic is the lock bar that moves down to lock all 5 drawers. Pic 4 is the oval opening for the lock assembly.
The cabinet was made by a company named Steel Age and measures 25-5/8" wide by 28-5/8" deep by 42" tall. The drawers are 23" wide by 27-1/2" long with side and rear measuring 4-3/4" and 6-1/2" at the front so something 6" tall will clear when you open or close the drawer. I am going to see a friend about casters and a few other things tomorrow night and this thing will make a great roller cabinet and I have a nice top box to put on it.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

Re: New storage cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:05:15 AM »
this deserves a YOU SUCK!   I think most of us would have jumped on that!
"You cannot idiot proof anything due to Mother Nature's ability to constantly build a better idiot."

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:54:32 AM »
Nice score!  Looks like you basically got a Lista cabinet for free!   :mr:
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

Quote from: Toecutter
But we're going to teach him.  You are going back for him.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
That is a nice cabinet. I have two of a similar style, but they're not half that heavy duty. One is full of mounted toolholders in racks. The deep drawers are the best for that.

Does that have a drawer interlock so you can't open more than one at once and dump it over?

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »
That is a nice cabinet. I have two of a similar style, but they're not half that heavy duty. One is full of mounted toolholders in racks. The deep drawers are the best for that.

Does that have a drawer interlock so you can't open more than one at once and dump it over?

Greyson

I just checked and no interlocks but each drawer does have a push button on the left side of the drawer pull to lock the drawer. One drawer is missing the button so it won't lock so it is now on the bottom. Now you have me reconsidering the use of the cabinet. I currently have a 2 door 72" high by 18" deep by 36" wide steel cabinet w/5 shelves between the mill and DP holding my tooling. The new cabinet will probably hold my 5C and R8 collet racks along with tooling, drill chucks and all assorted mill and lathe stuff except for the rotary table, lathe chucks and related heavy items.
Thanks Greyson as the new cabinet will make life easier using the mill, lathe or DP. thumbsup2 

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
There's never enough drawers in a machine shop. I hate having tooling sitting out in racks and shelves getting covered in chips and dust.

It's easier to hide clutter in a closed drawer too.  lolx

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »
Yesterday I pulled the drawers and racks out and turned the cabinet upside down to mount the 5" casters a friend gave me. I found out the cabinet doesn't have a flat bottom and has a thin sheet metal floor that is about 3/8" higher than the perimeter so it is only supported by the perimeter. So off to Home Depot last night to get a 2"x8"x10' board and some 3/8"x1-1/2" lag screws. I proceeded to overbuild, as usual, the platform I needed to sit the cabinet on. No fancy woodwork for me.
1st pic is the top of the platform. The 4 small pieces of plywood will keep the platform from sliding out from under the cabinet. 2nd pic is the bottom with the casters mounted. I spent several hours picking slag and a sheet metal screw out of the wheels, dressing them with a file and washing and lubing them. The wheels look a little rough and have a small flat spot on the fixed wheels but they roll fine and didn't cost me anything.
3rd pic is the cabinet on the platform and it raised the bottom 8" from the floor which makes opening the bottom drawers easier. I just need to figure out what I will use for drawer liners and find a lock for it. Not bad for less than $20 in it so far.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »
Smart move making a base.  I put casters on a cabinet with similar underneath constructions and the casters folded the side in when moving one time.  Reinforced now but would have been better with a base like yours.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 12:03:23 AM »
I finished up the cabinet today. I had felt for 2 of the drawers so I went to the fabric store and bought 2 yards of heavier felt and used some spots of contact cement to hold it in place. The long yellow plastic parts bins in some of the drawers fit side-by-side perfect in the drawers. I got those from a customer who had a pile of boxes full of them sitting in his yard. They had ordered a load of them from China and the plastic ended up being too brittle and they cracked in the front corners. I grabbed about 4 boxes of the two sizes when he said take what you want and they work fine sitting on a shelf or in a drawer.
Here are the drawers as I have them loaded so far: Pic 1 is the drill drawer and I still have to put my indexes in there. It also won't have room for all my larger MT drills. Above the drawer are the two handles I mounted to pull it around. It moves very easily so will handle the rest of the weight I will put in there.
Pic 2 is mill tooling. I will keep my smaller end mills and boring bits in the top box they are in which will go on top of the cabinet. Pic 3 is lathe tooling I put in so far. Pic 4 is Parallels, vise stops, KoolMist unit, angle blocks and I still have to load my clamps, step blocks, tee nuts and assorted similar items. Pic 5 is 5C and R8 collets along with the collet closer for the lathe.
Thanks again Greyson for giving me the idea to use it for tooling as it will work great. thumbsup2

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »
Nice work.  Very resourceful!  :mr:
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

Quote from: Toecutter
But we're going to teach him.  You are going back for him.

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 01:01:09 AM »
Man that's a bloody nice score.
I`d have been all over that as well.
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »
That's looks well set up. I wish I could keep my selection that well sorted. Chaos always seems to sneak in.

Greyson

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »

Tags: