Author Topic: Mazda B2600 - Turning a 'sow's ear into a silk purse' - the Earl Scheib way!  (Read 3199 times)

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Mazda B2600 - Turning a 'sow's ear into a silk purse' - the Earl Scheib way!
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »
She' s cleaned up inside and out and the wife and I attended a neighbor's B-day party last night. So we decided to take the truck. The results were surprising, and it goes to show you how differently women and men think.  :)

All the women at the party (including my wife) didn't like the paint job on the truck. They didn't hate it, but they all said it wasn't a favorite color combo. Conversely all the men liked the paint job very much, and some of the older guys even understood the significance of the GM style paint scheme -- it boggles the mind.  lolx lolx lolx

On the way home we got rained out and the new paint was given it's first bath -- it faired well. Took it to the car wash this morning and it's shiny again.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Re: Mazda B2600 - Turning a 'sow's ear into a silk purse' - the Earl Scheib way!
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2017, 05:37:06 PM »
I am astonished. I would have thought everyone would have believed it absolutely beautiful. I guess that is why we have green, blue, orange, and yellow!

Perhaps the ladies would have liked pink better? Or maybe purple?
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »
Looks great Ray!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2017, 01:54:12 AM »
That looks GREAT, Ray - excellent job!!  thumbsup2

Always liked that era Mazda truck.

Now come over and paint my Chevelle.  grinx
David

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
I like your truck colors more every time I see it.  The way women look at thing is like this, I think:  If it doesn't look like all the rest they have seen recently,  it is too different,, and that means trucks less than five years old.  That of course means,  black, white, and grey/silver.   Actually when I see red and white, I think of Fords in the 80s. 

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
I like your truck colors more every time I see it.  The way women look at thing is like this, I think:  If it doesn't look like all the rest they have seen recently,  it is too different,, and that means trucks less than five years old.  That of course means,  black, white, and grey/silver.   Actually when I see red and white, I think of Fords in the 80s. 

Boy -- I like that ad. Ford did do the classic color scheme well. The ad reminds me of a time when a pickup was a work vehicle and was affordable; fixable on a Saturday afternoon, and back on the road on Monday -- no frills. Have times changed -- $50-$80K for some pickups these days -- WOW!!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »
In 1989 you could order a F150, XLT Lariat package meaning all the bells and whistles plus order it as a heavy half ton meaning you got an extra leaf on the rear stack, 302 engine in any color you wanted for $12K

For me I chose to pay off my student loans and pay 6K for a used 1/2T GMC Sierra instead.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
I heard a new f550 was $100,000 the other day.... ridiculous

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Online slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2017, 11:27:15 PM »
A baseline SuperDuty 3/4 is $40K+ :-\  I've been looking for a replacement for my DD. and damn have they gone up. My 98 gm 3/4 was only $23K with all the bells and whistles.

The ad reminds me of my first F350. 84 single cab with a 6ft steel bed I6 and 4speed. top end was just about 55mph. Low gear was just about walking speed at idle. My neighbor and I tried to install a brownlight in it but the driveshaft was way too short. We had @ 18 inches for the output driveline. I seem to recall I paid $12K for that truck as a cab and chassis.

Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
Ray, that did turn out real nice.  Quite the looker with a throw back appeal.  It does look retro and perhaps that is the reason the women folk didn't like it.  Especially in your area where the hoity toity types far out number the red necks lolx  Bring it up here and it will get the love it deserves, lots of red necks in my neighborhood :))

As to prices of new trucks.  Compare prices to yearly income percentage wise.  Last new truck I bought was in 2000.  Was about 20% of my yearly income at the time.  Note we were doing well at that time.  Fast forward to now and the same truck would be about 50% of my yearly income.  Note, I am not working as hard and income is down but the difference is till huge.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Online brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #190 on: November 14, 2017, 10:59:41 PM »
A friend of mine bought a new Ram Quad cab dually 4X4 for the bargain price of $97,000!    :eek:

The last new vehicle I bought was a 1989 Ford Ranger XLT supercab.  Fully loaded, every option. MSRP was $14999.  I paid $12,000.

I still kick myself for getting rid of that truck.  Best vehicle I've ever owned.  Reliable, comfy, looked good and was easy and cheap to work on.

Not mine but same color and looked exactly like it.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline mrbill

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
The last new vehicle I bought was a 1989 Ford Ranger XLT supercab.  Fully loaded, every option. MSRP was $14999.  I paid $12,000.

And that is about what I paid for my 1989 Ranger.  Great little truck.  I bought a 2010 just before Ford quit making them.  Great work on the Mazda Goodfellow.  You can do the same job on my current Ranger after another few years of PA road salt/brine!

Bill

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »
I don't know why, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn that you can still buy a fairly plain full-size Dodge 1500 Tradesman  "contractor's special" pickup truck for around $24,000 (incl. incentives) in my neck of the woods. It includes some great basics such as 3.6L V-6 305hp engine, 8-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS), side seat mounted airbags, curtain 1st and 2nd row overhead airbags, airbag occupancy sensor, air conditioning, 17" styled steel wheels, cruise control, ABS and driveline traction control, electronic stability.

As far as compact trucks are concerned, the Nissan Frontier beats everyone else by a mile -- base price is around $18,500 and includes a 2.5L I-4 152hp engine, 5-speed manual transmission with overdrive, 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS), side seat mounted airbags, curtain 1st and 2nd row overhead airbags, airbag occupancy sensor, 15" styled steel wheels, ABS and driveline traction control, electronic stability, radio prep with 4 speakers, chrome interior accents. -- I guessing AC and a radio are upgrades.

Still, I thought that getting a very basic contractor type truck was a thing of the past -- apparently not so.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »
Beautiful work Ray!!!

Any luck finding a plow for it?

Went to look at plow options this morning; might as well take out a mortgage for what they want for a basic electric rig for a small truck. There are cheaper manual rigs - aka "set it and forget it" adjustment, but I can make something like that in my own shop. Bottom line -- I'll have to hold off on this aspect of the wish list. The Jag needs more time and money.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »
Beautiful work Ray!!!

Any luck finding a plow for it?

Went to look at plow options this morning; might as well take out a mortgage for what they want for a basic electric rig for a small truck. There are cheaper manual rigs - aka "set it and forget it" adjustment, but I can make something like that in my own shop. Bottom line -- I'll have to hold off on this aspect of the wish list. The Jag needs more time and money.

Don't worry about a plow, there is a Stupid Hippie up north that swears British cars were made for driving in the snow  :POKIE::POKIE:
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »

Tags: