Author Topic: Water Meter Issue  (Read 563 times)

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
Re: Water Meter Issue
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 11:38:02 PM »
The $100+ bill was no doubt correct. My brother down the road pays over $70 and he lives alone. I have 4 kids. My plan, should anyone ever ask, has been to use the excuse that I’ve been using my well a lot to save money. They’d have a pretty hard time proving I didn’t.
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline 34ply

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »
Don't mention your well. Where we built houses with wells and the town suppled water after they had to fill the wells with cement to prevent back flow into their piss water.  The wells I'm talking about were 200' deep with some real sweet water. It killed me to see it done when a town valve would have stopped it but then they would not have to pay. I'm in central FL.. ours is $75 or so with trash pickup. That includes a couch if you can it to the curb.

Offline jwitt

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 07:15:26 PM »
Retired water meter tech here. Assuming that your system uses the same brand of meters that we did (Neptune) all of the internals are plastic. The chamber has an impeller with a magnet attached. The gauge is turned magneticly through the brass housing. The company will eventually notice the drop in consumption and will test the meter. So many people want to blame the meter for high bills and demand that the meter be replaced when in fact the older a meter is the less water it will bill. It’s mechanical so the more wear it has the less accurate it is. The heat more then likley warped the chamber and shaft, slowing down the meter.
"Mechanics start things they finish"

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 10:13:59 PM »
Retired water meter tech here. Assuming that your system uses the same brand of meters that we did (Neptune) all of the internals are plastic. The chamber has an impeller with a magnet attached. The gauge is turned magneticly through the brass housing. The company will eventually notice the drop in consumption and will test the meter. So many people want to blame the meter for high bills and demand that the meter be replaced when in fact the older a meter is the less water it will bill. It’s mechanical so the more wear it has the less accurate it is. The heat more then likley warped the chamber and shaft, slowing down the meter.

You forgot to add the part where they will calculate the difference and bill him for it..........
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 01:23:37 AM »

Thanks for the info Jwitt. I was very mindful when thawing it not to get the flame very close to the meter. I held it below the meter to be sure because I didn’t want to screw it up and wind up on the hook for it. I’d like to tell you this was a calculated endeavor, but it was nothing more that luck (or bad luck).

I spoke with an attorney friend of mine about it today. He seemed pretty confident that in the event of a huge bill, I could either get out of it or settle for pennies on the dollar as the their burden of proof would be weak at best as long as I don’t disclose my thawing process. Of course it was them that failed to properly secure the lid which led to this problem in the first place, but whatever. I’m really conflicted about this. I’m the type of guy that goes back in the store to pay for something when I realize they missed it in the cart, but I really dislike these bastards and after being gouged like I have for the world’s most abundant resource, I’m not feeling real keen about doing them a solid and notifying them.

My dad went through a somewhat similar ordeal with the gas company when I was growing up. We were on a budget plan at the end of the yearly cycle, we had $200 and some dollars credit. My mother, more concerned with time than money, thought she owed that much and payed it....twice.

Rather than refund the over payment, they opted to credit our account and informened is we’s get a bill for $1 each month until the credit was gone, then normal billing would resume. We got a $1 bill for nearly 10 years. Mom had everything auto deducted from her account and genuinely didn’t notice it until it was to the point that she was afraid to say anything for fear of having to pay it back and admitting she knew there was an issue.

It was a running gag at our house. Any time we’d leave the room and forget to turn the lights off dad would get in our shit. I can still hear him now yelling down the hall “turn the God d$&ned lights off. Gas is free, electric ain’t” 😂

After nearly a decade of free gas, they admitted the messed the billing up and settled for $500.

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 02:59:43 AM »
IMO the meter freezing solid probably caused the damage. Heating the thing enough to melt the ice plug isn't likely to warp anything.

Online coolford

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
Years ago I bought an old house (1883) on acreage from an absentee owner.  Didn't know where any water or sewer line was (had a well).  An older friend suggested witching for them.  Asked for a couple of metal clothes hangers, straitened them out and bent them into an "L" about 1/3 the distance from one end.  Held the shorter L loosely in each hand and started walking around the house.  When he crossed a line the long ends would move to the center and cross.  I thought he was pulling my leg and said so, then he gave me the hangers and I started walking with them and all at once they crossed in an area he had not been.  I still didn't believe it so dug down there and found an old water line going to a shed.  I still show this system to others and even my wife can do it.

Online strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
My bro bought an old farmhouse amd we traced a rusty pipe  out to a wellhouse in the middle of the yard.

The septic was on the opposite side of the house clearly indicated by pipes in the basement also. 

A new well was drilled by then so he removed the wellhouse completely and heavily insulated the new well and pipes. 

My parents bought a place with bad services in and out for tree roots and witching did trace them through the yard.  It is a mystery magic that works.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 10:27:05 AM »
 :)) :))  Anyone want to take bets on how many guys are now going to pop the access cover to their water meter and start heating the damn thing with a torch?

"Look honey I can save us a ton of money by doing this -- here, hold my beer while I light the old Bernz-O-Matic!"  hornetsx

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »
IDK Ray. The city I work for has an auto read system. if it notices a difference in bills from one cycle to the next they send a meter tech by to check it out.

A bit off topic but we were under drought conditions around here a few years ago and lawn watering was restricted to one day per week. with the AMR setup they could tell who was watering during prohibited times and could fine them for it. sneaky bastids.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »
Can you attach a magnet to the side of the meter to slow down the spin impeller to get less usage shown?

cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 10:37:53 PM »
Well, the game may be over. Mrs. Conductor saw an American Water truck out at the meter early this morning. She didn’t notice them in time to see if they swapped the meter. I’ll have a look at it tomorrow and see if I can tell.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 01:17:13 AM »
Well, the game may be over. Mrs. Conductor saw an American Water truck out at the meter early this morning. She didn’t notice them in time to see if they swapped the meter. I’ll have a look at it tomorrow and see if I can tell.

Very rare when you get one over on "the man"
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 09:34:30 AM »
I think American Water is member here and figured out who Conductor is lolx panicx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »
I think American Water is member here and figured out who Conductor is lolx panicx

Gotta admit, the timing was quite a coincidence  scratchhead

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »