Author Topic: My New Truck (Lots of Pictures)  (Read 333 times)

Offline LukeOresk

My New Truck (Lots of Pictures)
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
I bought this in November and have been putting off posting it.  Prefect day to post as the weather is awful.

Its a 2006 Ram 3500 Laramie MegaCab with 5.9 Cummins. Auto tranny with electric transfer case. 145000~ ish KM when I bought it.
I've had a new stereo put in it as the stock one was on its way out, changed the speakers and bought weather tech mats for it.
Let me know if you guys have any good advice for maintaining this beast!

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: My New Truck (Lots of Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »
For a 2006, and with the KMs, that truck looks great -- almost new. Very nice vehicle.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:29:47 AM »
Very pristine. While I am not a Dodge guy for the most part I could get used to driving that one easily.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »
Keep up on maintenance, buy clean fuel, and keep it clean and that truck will last you a lifetime.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »
Check the air filter every oil change, religiously.   Can't believe the number of filters I've seen  nearly inverted and sucked down the air tube due to being plugged.   Drain the fuel filter often, checking for water.   Replace the fuel filter every couple of oil changes or what the manual says.  Lube the door latches during maintenance, especially the rears if you don't use the back doors often, also the hood latches.    Also lube the tailgate release handle, and the latches, they seem to stick a lot when dry.  I've seen guys torch off that factory class 3 receiver, real dumb, this one loops up over the frame, virtually cannot come loose.  You got a very fine truck there,  worked on the Dodges from 94 to '16.

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 08:48:36 PM »
Sweet ride. It looks to have been well cared for.

Offline LukeOresk

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 09:18:41 PM »
I'm going to change the oil every 5000Km, its not my daily so it will be probably every three months. The truck was a farmers and she took pretty good care of it as you noticed. I'll make sure to lube the latches like you said.

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 11:11:18 PM »
Great looking truck. I have never seen pictures of a Canadian dash. I am used to the speedo having the MPH on the outside and KPH on the inside. I take it the temp gauge is Celsius and the oil pressure is in whatever measurement you use?

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
Well that looks sweet!!  Great to find a well taken care of truck.

I have to think it will serve you well and last a long time. 
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
Never had that body style Dodge. I had the one before it and the one after it, but not that one. You really lucked out finding a pre emissions 5.9 in that condition. Ford was plagued with the 6.0 and 6.4 problems throughout most of the 2000’s, so you’d have to go back to a 2003 7.3 truck to get a comparable Ford and there aren’t many left with that much life left in them.

A lot of older guys are still leery of Dodge because of the quality issues of the past, but I’ve had 3 Rams (1 5.9 and 2 5.7’a) and put a lot of miles on them and never had a single issue.

Nice truck man!
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline Budman01

• I'm in the Penthouse, sorry no elevator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »
That’s a very nice truck, you can enjoy this one for a long time.
It’s definitely a work truck.....what will be the main chore?
FYI:I drive a 7.3, not a lot anymore and very little dirt roads, change oil every 7500 or 6 months
Bud.....
"Never doubt in the dark....what you've seen and heard in the Light"

Offline LukeOresk

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »
Great looking truck. I have never seen pictures of a Canadian dash. I am used to the speedo having the MPH on the outside and KPH on the inside. I take it the temp gauge is Celsius and the oil pressure is in whatever measurement you use?

Yes it is, Celsius and I believe its in KPA unless this truck just wants to be different.

Never had that body style Dodge. I had the one before it and the one after it, but not that one. You really lucked out finding a pre emissions 5.9 in that condition. Ford was plagued with the 6.0 and 6.4 problems throughout most of the 2000’s, so you’d have to go back to a 2003 7.3 truck to get a comparable Ford and there aren’t many left with that much life left in them.

A lot of older guys are still leery of Dodge because of the quality issues of the past, but I’ve had 3 Rams (1 5.9 and 2 5.7’a) and put a lot of miles on them and never had a single issue.

Nice truck man!

I'm not a dodge guy but the 5.9 sold me. I couldn't find a GM for a reasonable price and the Fords are like you said either too old or too new and expensive. I was looking for a 2nd Gen Ram but I wouldn't pay $17000 for a 97. So I ended up with this and I'm a happy camper.

That’s a very nice truck, you can enjoy this one for a long time.
It’s definitely a work truck.....what will be the main chore?
FYI:I drive a 7.3, not a lot anymore and very little dirt roads, change oil every 7500 or 6 months

Just for when I need a truck. I have a five ton dump trailer I'll pull with it. According to the truck its getting 11 liters to 100 km or 21.38 MPG so I can't complain.

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:18:10 PM »
That’s pretty much the story with everyone. You bought a Cummins motor that happened to be wrapped in a Dodge body.
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 10:19:55 PM »
The dealership had a Canadian truck traded in.  Sat for awhile as the  gauge reading turned off a lot of prospective buyers.   Truck was about 25 years old.   So we ordered another cluster, specifying it be in MPH, etc.   With all the petty things these days about the odometer being correct,  the cluster sent to us was in KPH, etc.   Turns out only a correct replacement could be gotten,  with the VIN being Can. built, that is all Dodge would send.  We went around a few phone calls, but ended up selling the truck with the KPH readings. 

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
How are the trannys in that generation of truck?  That is my biggest fear with Dodges.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »