Author Topic: Just a Peek  (Read 390 times)

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
Just a Peek
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »

The '46 square dial 10EE I bought a year ago that I finally took possession of. It's not set up to use right now. I am the 4th owner. The friend I bought from got it from a nutcase in Arizona in 1995 who rebuilt Porsche engines. It had only done light production before that guy got it. The bed measures 0.0011" wear, which equates to approx 20K hrs use by our best estimates based on other 10EE's. The paint is the 2nd coat and very clean. All covers, misc parts, and original literature are with it. It has a "Works in a drawer" tube drive that runs on 220 single phase. Hopefully I can put it through it's paces sometime soon.

Greyson

Offline bl00

Re: Just a Peek
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:19:12 PM »
That one is beautiful!  The ones I see for sale online usually look like they came out of the Monarch dumpster.

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:17:34 PM »
very nice.  thumbsup2 
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »
Best toolmaker's lathe ever made. Congratulations!! that is truly a beautiful piece of machinery.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:24:24 PM »
Best toolmaker's lathe ever made. Congratulations!! that is truly a beautiful piece of machinery.

X2!   I'd love to have one and the place to put it.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »

They are pretty compact. It's 36" to the end of the cross feed handle wide and like 64" long. It is a 3000lb blob of iron to deal with though.

Greyson

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 11:39:06 PM »

They are pretty compact. It's 36" to the end of the cross feed handle wide and like 64" long. It is a 3000lb blob of iron to deal with though.

Greyson

I'd probably just injure myself if I had one anyway.  That's what my wife says anytime I wanna buy something...
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 11:43:38 PM »
Just wear your safety shoes and you'll be fine. Tell your wife about all the things you could fix and all the dollars you could save by having one. Even if you just use it as a pencil sharpener.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »
Great lathe and I love the beefy tailstock.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:06 AM »

Monarch was never shy putting iron in tailstocks. Always used a small taper though. This thing has a #2, the series 60 16" at work only has a #4 in a quill that's almost 4" OD. Everything about them is overkill.

I mistyped on the age. It was the very last lathe made by serial number in 1956, not 46.

Greyson

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »

Monarch was never shy putting iron in tailstocks. Always used a small taper though. This thing has a #2, the series 60 16" at work only has a #4 in a quill that's almost 4" OD. Everything about them is overkill.

I mistyped on the age. It was the very last lathe made by serial number in 1956, not 46.

Greyson

Has the DC rectifier been upgraded, or is it still an old vacuum tube unit?

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »
Unmolested vac tubes. It has a slight "miss" for the first half hour or so at low speed, but usually quits doing it after it's warmed up. An electronics guy told my friend it's probably a bad cap somewhere in the drive. I'll investigate if it becomes an issue I can't work with. The lathe came with 6 extra NOS big tubes; it uses 2 in the drive. Also, there is about 20 spare NOS smaller tubes for it.

The tube drive is really an excellent design. It will hold constant rpm much better under load than a new VFD and AC motor, and do it on a plain 220 1ph.

Greyson

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Unmolested vac tubes. It has a slight "miss" for the first half hour or so at low speed, but usually quits doing it after it's warmed up. An electronics guy told my friend it's probably a bad cap somewhere in the drive. I'll investigate if it becomes an issue I can't work with. The lathe came with 6 extra NOS big tubes; it uses 2 in the drive. Also, there is about 20 spare NOS smaller tubes for it.

The tube drive is really an excellent design. It will hold constant rpm much better under load than a new VFD and AC motor, and do it on a plain 220 1ph.

Greyson

Your friend is most likely correct. After 60 years most of the electrolytic caps are leaking -- better to bite the bullet early and replace them all, or you will burn up vacuum tubes in short order. Good luck!!

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
Tha is one nice lathe!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »

Greyson

the bed could be a little longer so there is space for a deck over part of it..  (grin)

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »

Tags: