Author Topic: "Fresh Air" painting system; make your own! -- Updated!  (Read 16972 times)

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
"Fresh Air" painting system; make your own! -- Updated!
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
Saved from GH -- and reformatted

GAST vane driven pump are relatively common and inexpensive. They also have a variety of uses. I thought I'd show how you can make an inexpensive fresh air system. This system compares to commercial systems costing $500 - $1000

The base is a 110v GAST vacuum pump/compressor -- purchased from ebay for $40 (220v units sell for much less)

The output side is fitted with a particle/moisture filter to prevent any carbon vane dust from entering the fresh air hose

Input filtration isn't necessary, but I do it anyway through a cheap HF particle filter (see pic) -- this saves the vanes on the pump from premature wear.

Fresh air hose is 3/8" with quick connect fittings -- this is OSHA approved fresh air hose, but I have seen many systems using plain air hose with 1/4" quick connect fittings -- as long as they are clean, any good quality air hose will do. I use two of these hoses; which gives me 50ft of hose to work around cars.

The Mask was found on ebay for $20 and is fitted with a 3/8" quick connect (not in this pic) which connects into the other cheap HF particle filter that I wear on my belt. That way I can regulate the air into the mask at all times.

Total cost of this system was about $90 -- all the pieces were found on ebay

Compare this system to equivalent commercial systems

http://www.rjsafety.com/rp11.html

You're money ahead, and you built it yourself -- that's always better!!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:01:20 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Aunt Phil

Re: "Fresh Air" painting system; make your own!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:32:41 AM »
Unfortunately those vane pumps still employ oil to lube the vanes.

If you're going to breathe that air grab a Mason Jar with a lid and set it up like a vacuum trap with 1 tube going to the bottom and one at the top.  Stuff the jar with kotex and tighten the lid.  Attach one of the lines to the compressor side and the other out to the mask, and you'll have oil free air.  Oil is very nasty to the lung tissues.

You can also improve the compressor's efficiency by employing copper or stainless scrub sponges from the Dollar Store stuffed into a metal or  plastic funnel for a housing.  Screw the funnel into the compressor intake as a filter.  Spray the sponge with a little peanut oil before firing the machine up and it will take out most contaminants in the incoming air stream.  Wash the sponges out in dishwater when you're done and let them dry.

Don't forget the airline will be holding moisture after use, so it is a good idea to sanitize the line before using the system and breathing the air. 
© Aunt Phil 2010

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:01:04 AM »
Most of those pumps I've seen at work are just carbon vanes, where is the oil at?
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
Somehow I failed to see this thread. Before I begin, let me say that I have the highest regard for everything Goodfellow posts here, to include this thread. Now with that said, I am going to go an opposite direction. Being honest I cannot offer any knowledgeable criticism to this system Goodfellow has shown here. However, the thought of building your own "Fresh Air System" does concern me a bit.

What concerns me about this is the possibility/potential for error. The idea of folks buying and assembling their own systems like this seems like it would offer plenty of room to get it wrong. Supplied air systems do in fact employ air pumps that assure oil free air to the user. I am not saying that this setup would not accomplish that. What I am saying, is that I would not be comfortable telling someone to build this system.

Many of you might recall that I have worked in OSHA type safety in the private sector, and for the government for several decades. Actually, I am twice degreed  in the field of safety and safety and health is what I do for a living. That might better  explain my less than enthusiastic endorsement of Goodfellows idea here.

Just keep in mind, supplied air respiration devices have a hefty job to perform. These systems prevent contaminated air from damaging lungs at a minimum. In other situations  they are used they prevent people from dying in oxygen deficient atmospheres. To me, that is very sobering stuff.

In a nutshell, while I cannot honestly say that Goodfellows system would not perform flawlessly (and it might perform perfectly, Goodfellow is a very talented and intelligent guy) However, with that said, I cannot enthusiastically endorse this thread as I generally would one of Goodfellows threads. No disrespect to Goodfellow, he has my highest respect.

Actually, the system looks correct to me, and I cannot even criticize GF for building and using this setup. My indigestion for a life safety device is the build your own advice. That is where I cannot agree/endorse.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:29:02 AM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
Most of those pumps I've seen at work are just carbon vanes, where is the oil at?

You are correct Fins!!! There is no oil -- carbon vanes all the way.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »

..........Actually, the system looks correct to me, and I cannot even criticize GF for building and using this setup. My indigestion for a life safety device is the build your own advice. That is where I cannot agree/endorse.

Good advice Buck! Knowing your safety training, I wouldn't expect any less.  thumbsup

As with any/all DIY projects, "common sense" will need to be applied. For example -- GAST vac/pressure pumps are used in many laboratory environments and that could cause a serious hazard with residue. So a clean pump, and preferably a unit that was used as a compressor and not as a vacuum source would be ideal.

"Buyer beware" is parmount when developing such a system. That said, there a plenty of good clean pumps out on ebay and other surplus outfits.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 02:14:23 AM »
GAST manufactures pumps from shoebox size thru locomotive size, and unless you get a factory rep who is willing to check the numbers you really have no idea what the original intent of the pump was when buying from surplus dealers.  Each and every one of GAST's pumps was pretty much built purpose specific.
© Aunt Phil 2010

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »
I saw this on CL and remembered the thread.  No association with the seller, and I have no idea if this is a good deal or not.  I copied the add here for future reference.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tls/2180176061.html
Paint booth air feed pump/live longer ,Gast manufacturing brand - $300 (Lombard)

Paint booth air feed pump/live longer

Gast manufacturing brand
model # 0522-p347-g180dx

Nice condition , Air Breathing Pump for spray painting or sand blasting. Comes with GAST 0522-P347-G180DX, 1/3HP motor,and air filter approximate 0-10psi, 0-6.8CFM.
Sold New @ $960
I want 300.00 OBO, It works great

Note: Needs a foam dust filter on the intake and does not have a quick disconnect as the breathing hose was directly connected to the unit.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »
Just an update on this thread. I helped a friend build one of these systems this week. I don't have pics, but just wanted to note that the biggest problem with this homemade system had been the mask. They are expensive, unless you can find one on ebay. All the rest of the parts (hose, compressor, fittings, filter, etc) are relatively cheap to source on ebay.

That said, there is a new cheap alternative to the full face mask -- a half face mask. Specifically, there is a glut of Chinese military surplus air force masks on ebay. They sell for less than $30 and they are perfect for making a half mask fresh air system. Just search for "forced air mask"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLIGHT-HELMET-MIG-15-19-Air-Force-PILOT-HELMET-OXYGEN-MASK-YM-6502-D11-13-/251378914822?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8759d606

My friend's system used this mask and the price of the entire fresh air build was less than $100

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
An interesting source for a  facemask, but I dont think I'd personally trust my life to some surplus gook rubber.

Might be a good time and place to buy new. 1/2 face masks arent that much money in the big picture.
ambitious but rubbish

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
Actually those face masks were manufactured to Soviet specifications. Say what you will about their politics, the Russians made great equipment, and they were/are great engineers. The Chinese simply copied the design -- I wouldn't hesitate to use it for painting purposes.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
Since using this rig to paint my Jag, I've received a few emails and PMs about its use. The simple fact is that the commercial fresh air systems that sell for several hundred to over $2000 basically use the same technology that I pieced together on my own. Most all systems from SAS, Grainger, Allegro, etc. use a GAST carbon vane pump. These pumps are installed in commercial and industrial equipment ranging from printing presses, to laboratory testing equipment. They are rated for continuous duty and can be used as a vacuum source as well as a compressed air source.

The trick is to find a clean used one on eBay or at a surplus store. Then clean out the vanes and the compression chamber with denatured alcohol to get rid of any industrial residue. You don't want to get a pump that was used in highly toxic environments, or worse, in bacteriological environments. A good cleaning and inspection will usually yield a clean pump that is suitable for an air supply.

Here's my outfit that I pieced together several years ago for less than $100 -- I bought the unit and installed an inline filter to clean out the dust that is generated by the carbon vanes in the pump (you need a filter like this or the dust will contaminate your airline -- and your lungs). Notice that all the commercial units that are based on this pump use a filter canister.

the hard part is finding a good supplied air mask. I found this mask on ebay for a few buck, but as I stated above in a previous post, the Chinese Air Force surplus half masks are a great budget alternative, then all you need is to add a set of cheap air tight goggles and you can spray with that setup as if it were a full-face mask. To make everything fit up right I substituted my own couplers to the mask and air hoses, to ensure I have a standardized system of connections. I simply glued a brass NPT reducer (available at the hardware store) into the end of the facemask hose and added my own coupler.

Regarding the air hose. Don't use compressed air hose -- it leaches toxic fumes. You need OSHA compliant supplied air hose. These hoses are expensive, but you can get odd closeouts and inventory reductions on ebay quite readily. I don't worry too much about what couplers they have because i always cut the couplers off anyway and install my own. I use brass 3/8" airline barbs on each end to attach my fittings and couplers. All of my hoses (I have 100' of it) were sourced from ebay, and I didn't pay more that $10-$15 per hose. The fact that I didn't care about couplers made the choice easy -- as long as the hoses were OSHA compliant for supplied air systems.

You still can build one of these units for less than $100 -- just take your time and buy wisely. It took me about three months of searching on eBay to find all the necessary items at the right price. Good luck!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:57:32 PM by goodfellow »

Online slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
Re: "Fresh Air" painting system; make your own! -- Updated!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »
Another source for supplied air parts is Govdeals. Just recently a local FD had a bunch of surplus SCBA's that they were selling along with a air compressor system for filling the SCBA bottle. IIRC it was relatively cheap.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »
Another source for supplied air parts is Govdeals. Just recently a local FD had a bunch of surplus SCBA's that they were selling along with a air compressor system for filling the SCBA bottle. IIRC it was relatively cheap.

Good point, I just searched ebay for "SCBA Mask" and a whole slew of full face masks showed up at very reasonable prices -- some less than $40

Offline pugs

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
Good compressor for scba tanks, or high pressure pellet gun, etc......
http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »

Tags: