Author Topic: Painting with Valspar Tractor and Implement  (Read 4050 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
Painting with Valspar Tractor and Implement
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »
Finally got to picking up some paint for my cement mixer, some Valspar Tractor and Implement paint and the dark red primer.  Also got the VM&P Naphtha.  Directions for spray for the paint seem to indicate mixing 8fl oz to a gallon, which I think means one part Naphtha to 16 parts paint.

There were no spray directions on the primer.

Does this ratio sound right in your experience?  How about the primer?

The MSDS indicates that the Naphtha is nasty stuff.  I'm assuming outdoor application only, if the weather holds...

gotta pick my spray gun up from my folks', dad used it to paint the firewall on his truck.

Offline Scout Driver

• Global Moderator
  • Hunt and peck king
  • Scout. Anything less is just a car.
Re: Painting with Valspar Tractor and Implement
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
Can't help you with the specific mix, but I'd think that it would be adjusted according to temperature.  I'd also look into a compatible hardener for the paint. 

Scott

Online slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »
see what the Valspar recommends as a reducer. I painted a winch cradle last week with Rustoluem black and used some medium  enamel reducer that I had ,put 3 coats on it and let it sit 4 days. the paint never did "harden up" . it could be scratched/dented with a fingernail. As SD stated look into the hardener too.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 12:06:54 AM »
Well, the Naphtha was what was on the paint cans as the recommendation, I'll have to see if I can find anything on the primer, and on any hardeners.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 06:57:56 AM »
see what the Valspar recommends as a reducer. I painted a winch cradle last week with Rustoluem black and used some medium  enamel reducer that I had ,put 3 coats on it and let it sit 4 days. the paint never did "harden up" . it could be scratched/dented with a fingernail. As SD stated look into the hardener too.

I made the mistake of using Rustoleum thinned and sprayed several times years ago and finally decided never again, it was like the stuff never dried. I just moved on to other brands myself.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
Well, the Naphtha was what was on the paint cans as the recommendation, I'll have to see if I can find anything on the primer, and on any hardeners.

Hardener is typically use for low temps, I would think the instructions will indicate temp ranges, best advise do not cross manufacture types for paint, it is a chemistry that works together. Yes you may pay a bit more, but the results will be as you wish.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:15:12 PM by pepi »
Living in a van, under a bridge, down by the river

Think about it ..........?

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »
I did find reference to a hardener for this paint, but the local place doesn't carry it.  We'll see.  I'm in no rush, but I wouldn't mind getting the workshop space back either.

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »
I did find reference to a hardener for this paint, but the local place doesn't carry it.  We'll see.  I'm in no rush, but I wouldn't mind getting the workshop space back either.

Probably never sells any because it is hell hot there  lolx  Do yourself a favor spray a test panel see what's up, that will tell you the most about the paint, everything else is speculation.
Living in a van, under a bridge, down by the river

Think about it ..........?

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
I've sprayed a few pieces with Valspar. First, get the hardener -- without it, the enamel will be dry slow and soft. Hardener is an absolute with Alkyd Enamel.

For small jobs you can thin with plain lacquer thinner, but for larger jobs get some enamel reducer. Naphtha is recommended by Valspar, but in summer heat it evaporates too fast; leaving orange peel and dry spots. A good slow reducer (check with NAPA for a good enamel reducer) will allow you to put down some wet coats that flow out nicely.

Offline lostmind

• Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »
The hardener also helps to smooth out orange peel and give an even gloss. Very hard to get a nice finish on a hot day without it. It usually comes in different gloss levels. The most expensive will give a gloss that looks like it's wet.
Worth the money if you put a lot of effort into something.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most.
It's ALL for sale

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
Still haven't painted yet, haven't had time.  I'm planning on doing it in the shop with the big door open, in the morning, so that once it's sprayed I can close the door while it dries.  I can cool the shop down easily enough..

I guess I need to order the hardener.

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »

I made the mistake of using Rustoleum thinned and sprayed several times years ago and finally decided never again, it was like the stuff never dried. I just moved on to other brands myself.

Elroy likes Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. It sets fairly quick (couple of days) and it sands wells. Their top coats take for ever ( 6 weeks or so) to dry. However they will eventually set hard. The ticker the coat the longer it takes
I met Elroy years ago, I was not at all impressed with him, the guy was like a talking potted plant! A real Moron.

Elroy exists in a demented third person world that is void of Bull Shit and lies.

Offline Pitalplace

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »
Do not thin the primer. As far as hardner there are some major health concerns so you may want google that. You need a good mask or air supply to spray it.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »

Tags: