Author Topic: I want to build a gear box.  (Read 740 times)

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
Re: I want to build a gear box.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:35 PM »
I say scrounge a functional manual transmission or something with gears and check out your theory for as low cost as possible. You won't know until you try. thumbsup2

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 10:18:57 PM »
I know the concept has uses. It may not be power generation but it will work for something. This came from my idea to have a clockwork mechanism run ceiling fans in an "off grid" home.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:26:07 AM by m_fumich »
I'm not a tool addict. I prefer "Dedicated Enthusiast prone to bouts of excessive exuberance."

"I love being purple." - Patrick the star fish

Offline remake3d

• Remake3D
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »
I know the concept has uses. It may not bepower generation but it will work for something. This came from my idea to have a clockwork mechanism run ceiling fans in an "off grid" home.

Your concept will work in fact others are doing it as well.  The problem is the sheer amount of power you are asking for in your first post.  If you want to run fans or lights this is a great concept and would look kinda cool in a house with all of the moving parts.  You would also be better off designing some kind of clockwork mechanism to slow the decent of the weight before you do anything else to allow for longer time.

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 03:33:54 AM »
My idea was to have a large bank of car batteries and the weight driven hear box would be used to keep the batteries charged that way power supply would be regulated for the most part. I also want to tie in solar panels and a couple small wind generators. I need to determine what my maximum power needs are. That will determine how many batteries I would need.
I'm not a tool addict. I prefer "Dedicated Enthusiast prone to bouts of excessive exuberance."

"I love being purple." - Patrick the star fish

Offline Chuck Farley

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 01:51:47 AM »
Let me guess......you spent hours playing the game mousetrap?

and years studying the scientific work of Rube Goldberg.

^^^  thumbsup2 thumbsup2 thumbsup2

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 01:51:47 AM »

Tags: