Author Topic: Homemade Pressure Pot Sandblaster  (Read 814 times)

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
Homemade Pressure Pot Sandblaster
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »
Let me preface this by stating I don't know jack squat about pressure blasting. I just looked at pictures of blast pots online and did my best farmer R&D (ripoff and duplicate) out of the scrap bin. I'm sure this would start Troll War III on Channel3.

onflame onflame onflame

It's a piece of 10" X 1/8th wall tube. The cone reducer was rolled in halves from flat stock. The very bottom is a 4" sch 40 weld cap with a 3/4 NPT weld-O-let on the end. The hand hole is a slice of 6" sch 40 squished in the press. It's plug is 3/8th plate with rubber gasket and a 5/8" draw bolt. The top is also 3/8ths except where the plug is. That's 4 1/2" shelby tube cut with a 60 deg taper to match the solid steel plug that also has innertube rubber pulled over it. All MIG welded with regular L56 wire.

It should hold about 125lbs of sand. The piping seems to be standard for your average pot. I used a cheap gate valve to regulate the sand flow so it can be consumable. The goofy can on the front is an expansion chamber to try an get any moisture to fall out before it makes it in the pot. The angled valve is pneumatically operated and triggered by the 3/2 toggle valve on the blue lines. It will get run out to the end of the blast hose.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Homemade Pressure Pot Sandblaster
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:10:25 PM »
Good work! Looks very stout -- hope it works for you. Most pressure blasters need tweaking of some sort to make them work efficiently, but I wouldn't use sand - it's way too irregular and uneven in grain. I suggest going to TSC and getting some Black Diamond abrasive -- it's cheap and comes in standard grit sizes. My HF 110lb pressure blaster works very efficiently with 60 grit whereas some others work well with 40 grit.

Good luck!

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:53:09 PM »
Nice hillbilly build there buckwheat.
Keep a eye on your valves as they don`t last long.
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Oh no! You're going to die!

Na, looks pretty nice to me. Certainly better built than a HF/PA blaster. Nice work.
Ad a vibrator on the side and you're good to go.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Online slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 11:26:05 PM »

Na, looks pretty nice to me. Certainly better built than a HF/PA blaster. Nice work.

Maybe that's why my HF blaster never did work right, no sex toys.   shrugx
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »

Maybe that's why my HF blaster never did work right, no sex toys.   shrugx

:D I'm surprised they don't carry them as well.

Greyson

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:42:21 AM »
HF does not carry toys, but Blue Point has offered the "Pleasuring my lady" model for some years now. Notice the different sizes for different ladies.........
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
Good work! Looks very stout -- hope it works for you. Most pressure blasters need tweaking of some sort to make them work efficiently, but I wouldn't use sand - it's way too irregular and uneven in grain. I suggest going to TSC and getting some Black Diamond abrasive -- it's cheap and comes in standard grit sizes. My HF 110lb pressure blaster works very efficiently with 60 grit whereas some others work well with 40 grit.

Good luck!

This all started because I bought a pressure washer sandblast attachment that was supposed to suck abrasive via siphon. I couldn't get fine masonry sand locally, but was able to get 20/30 dried silica sand specifically for blasting (I know about the silicosis danger and wet blasting should eliminate the issue). I bought a 1/4 ton of it rather than one sack to try because I didn't want to have to make a trip back into town if it worked. The blaster wouldn't suck it almost at all. It would pull a couple feet into the line and bind up. Moisture wasn't the issue, it was grit size. Rather than spread the 500 lbs of sand on the driveway like any reasonably person would do, I figured I'd set up a pressure pot to feed it. There's no TSC anywhere near here and I've never seen a sack of coal slag in any store here (west coast joys). When I switch over to dry blasting, I'll probably get crushed glass. My nozzle is 3/16 for dry blasting and 3/8 for the pressure washer, so clogging will be less of an issue than on the HF units.

Of course when you want to buy something, there won't be one to find within 500 miles on CL  smackmyself Everything I read about the HF pot said the plumbing almost need completely rebuilt to get it to work right, so I decided to just build what I wanted instead. Total cost is under $250, including a new 25' 1" blast hose, thanks to the wonders of ebay.

I'll try and get some pictures up of the blasted parts later.

Greyson

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »