Author Topic: Evolution Rage3 Compound Sliding Miter Saw  (Read 110 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
Evolution Rage3 Compound Sliding Miter Saw
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Figured I'd share how my new Evolution Rage3 compound sliding miter saw does cutting metal.  Normally people think of this tool as a woodworking saw.  It's a single-bevel model with 10" blade, capable of using blades with 5/8" and 1" arbors, around $200 if I remember right.  RPM is a lot lower than a normal woodworking saw, and both Evolution and third-party 10" metal blades of various types are available.

I needed to cut a length of strut-channel for a project.  In the past I've had to cut unistrut with a sawzall or hacksaw and then grind it straight and file it smooth.  When I bought the saw I also picked up a fairly pricey Evolution blade for steel cutting, the blue blade in the pictures, as previous reviews have stated that the stock 'all purpose' blade will make its way through steel but won't be clean about it, and will wear-out the blade.  I've used the original all-purpose blade for wood cutting, and I plan to keep it around for basically "wood with nails" cutting, and since I have a RAS and a tablesaw I don't expect to do a whole lot of woodcutting with this Rage3.

The saw cut the strut-channel beautifully.  We clamped it down and supported the 9' that overhung one side at the far end, and the saw cut through like it was cutting wood.  I placed the material open-side down "n" and used very mild pressure.

The result was essentially a perfect cut.  No burrs, the schmutz in the photos were just some shavings that landed on the piece, they came off with just a finger.  Also, the cut was cool to the touch seconds after making it.  Much better cut than I've gotten on metal stock from the bulk steel place.

So for one cut I really like it.  We'll see if I get the upwards-of-350 cuts that this blade is supposed to handle.

Online brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
Re: Evolution Rage3 Compound Sliding Miter Saw
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:11:56 PM »
I've read good things about them for metal cutting. Do you know what the RPMs are?
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »
I've read good things about them for metal cutting. Do you know what the RPMs are?

Blade is labeled for 2750 if memory serves.  They use the same motor for 60Hz and 50Hz countries, so it's somewhere in the 2500 to 2750 range.  Tool is of British design so it probably was built for 50Hz countries and thus runs a little faster in a 60Hz area.

Part of why I bought it instead of just any old wood saw was I had no precision metal cutting tools of any kind, and since I don't do a lot of metal cutting (don't have a welder) I didn't want to waste shop space on both metal and wood saws if I dont' have a need for them.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »

Tags: