Author Topic: Picking the paint package for my E-Type -- Tractor Paint!!!  (Read 6804 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Picking the paint package for my E-Type -- Tractor Paint!!!
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »
I've painted a few cars in my day and have been researching the painting package that I'm going to use on my E-Type. Although the big body work jobs are a few months away, in just a few weeks I will need to paint subframes and other assembles in the final color scheme. My skills with a siphon feed full pressure gun and paint were honed over 30 years ago when single stage acrylic lacquers and acrylic enamels were the reigning technologies -- although I did paint some luxury cars witrh Dupont Imron polyurethane at the time. 

Last car I painted was my '95 Rodeo; I used a single stage polyurethane and my 70's DeVilbiss JGA gun for that job --

So I've done my research and found the perfect paint for my Jaguar -- TSC Valspar "Tractor and Implement" paint. Specifically the "Ford Red" color.
It's close to the original Jaguar "Signal Red" scheme and in fact I like Ford Red much better.

Before anyone thinks I've lost my mind, I have done some serious research on this paint -- even spoke to a guy at the manufacturer. Here's what I found out.

The Valspar Ford Red is an alkyd enamel and costs $35/gal. (I'll need two gallons) -- that is a great price!!! Valspar also markets a "Restoration Series" alkyd enamel paint, but the only difference besides the $20/gal. extra cost is that the color choices are more varied. The ingredients are the same --

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agriculture-farming-ranching/tractor-tune-up-repair/tractor-paint-safety-emblems-decals/tractor-paint/valspar-tractor-amp-implement-high-gloss-enamel-ford-red-1-gal--3449033

TSC also sells a hardener package (which is a MUST for automotive enamel), and from my research I have found that doubling up on the hardener additive will yield a much better and stronger finish (although "pot life" is reduced to about 8-10 hours after the hardner is added to the paint).

I'm not cheaping out on this project. My budget for paint and related supplies was $1500, but I'm also very interested in "what works and what doesn't". So if I can paint this car for less that $250 and get a satisfactory result, everybody wins!!! That includes the nice folks on this forum who might want to save a few bucks themselves when refurbishing "the family truckster".

I'll try to document every procedure along the way --

Wish me luck!!!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:07:45 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Picking the paint package for my E-Type -- Tractor Paint!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
I've been using the Valspar rattle can paint and like it well. I'm sure I'll use the gloss white when I paint the Ford van. Most the auto painters recommend using a paint system for all the products, do they have the appropriate primers and other supplies. $35 a gallon is a great price.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »
They have the packages, but availability is dependent on the local TSC retailer. If they don't stock an item, you can certianly order it from them at no extra cost. Since I will most likely be doing my primary painting during hot summer weather, I may have to use a retarder/reducer to slow down the flash time so that the paint can flow out. Unfortunately Valspar doesn't offer a retarder, so I will have to go with a Dupont or PPG alternative. Valspar suggests naphta as a thinner/reducer, but that may not be enough for summer temps. I will have to spray some experimental panels to find out.

Offline Wantedabiggergarage

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »
Now granted, my vehicle I want to do this to is a beater, but I would like the practice, and to keep it from rusting away (had someone try to buy it the other day).  I have an old Ranger, with a 2.3 that is my around town/parts getter/beater, that the bed was damaged when I bought it.  When I first hear what your talking about, I read different methods, on different forums.  Two forums that come to mind (hope links are ok):

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/body/546612-ultimate-budget-paint-job.html
(thinking about using that color on mine, since metal colors don't seem to be liked as well)

using this technique (like I said, a beater):
http://rolledon.forummotion.com/

But in my view of vehicles nowdays, paint does two things.  Attracts attention, and keeps it from rusting.
Well, I guess a rule disallows, my use of a Dennis Leary song as my signature, LOL.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »

.........Two forums that come to mind (hope links are ok):

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/body/546612-ultimate-budget-paint-job.html
(thinking about using that color on mine, since metal colors don't seem to be liked as well)

using this technique (like I said, a beater):
http://rolledon.forummotion.com/

But in my view of vehicles nowdays, paint does two things.  Attracts attention, and keeps it from rusting.

The guy in the first link has the right idea -- and some "big cojones" to be painting that car outside under a tree no less. Can't argue with success though; he did a great job.

Now the other link is just a little too much for me --  :)  I can't seem to open the page properly

EDIT -- got it open! Wow -- using rollers and getting some great results. Awesome, ingenious, and inspiring.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:47:17 PM by goodfellow »

Offline scottg

• Super Hero
    • Scotts Tool Page
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
I love tractor paint!
  Nice n thick and flows well.  It does cure pretty hard without hardener so its not totally mandatory.
I can't imagine a better choice!   

Napa also has it marked fleet and tractor, or something like that, and has a few colors and reducer, maybe additives. 
  yours Scott

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:02:10 AM »
Im not going to say your crazy as ive had great luck using Massey Ferguson and Deere paints. I understand that Valspar is the OEM for the Massey implement paint.
ambitious but rubbish

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:12:10 AM »
I prefer Van Sickle myself, I believe it dries faster than Valspar if I am not mistaken.  shrugx
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 06:41:44 PM »
Well - did you paint this?  grinx
David

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 10:26:53 AM »

Sure did -- but I used IH Red instead of the Ford Red. The Ford Red had way too much Orange in it.

http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?action=post;msg=303076;topic=23142.0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:45:40 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »
IH red is a tough color to improve on in my opinion.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »

Sure did -- but I used IH Red instead of the Ford Red. The Ford Red had way too much Orange in it.

http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?action=post;msg=303076;topic=23142.0

Cool!  thumbsup2

Any pics of the finished car?
David

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 07:28:54 PM »
Not finished yet I'm sorry to say!! -- I've been laid up for a few weeks (almost two months actually) with some serious lower back medical issues. I'll get back on it when the docs tell me that I can bend my back again.

Offline Brophy

• Stupid Hippie
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 07:35:07 PM »
Not finished yet I'm sorry to say!! -- I've been laid up for a few weeks (almost two months actually) with some serious lower back medical issues. I'll get back on it when the docs tell me that I can bend my back again.

Sorry for your back troubles...heal up fast!!

(and the E-type looks amazing!!!)

...Rob
Welcome to Canada...STAY OUT OF THE PASSING LANE!

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »
I was wondering about the jag the other day. Back pain tells me why theres been no updates.  hope it heals up soon.

I noticed my TSC has switched to a differnt paint, it may still be Valspar but the cans different. I painted the Proto box with and really didn't see much difference in it. I always add the hardner too. it seems to improve the durability of the paint in the early stages. paint seems to cure faster.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline coolford

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 12:01:30 PM »
As most old timers know, enamel paint used to be the choice of automobile manufacturers.  Then EPA got into the scheme of things and we are where we are today.  A long time friend and auto restorer was an auto paint dealer (Dupont) for over 30 years and also sold Valspar.  He has used the Valspar tractor paint on a couple of restorations in the last few years. No, he does it in a well ventilated shop, not under a tree, but then his cars don't look any better than the under the tree job. :conf:

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
  • Have Tools Will Travel. Wire Torqueman. SE MI
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »
GF - My thoughts and prayers go out to you. It can be hard to stay inactive, but the doctors really do know best.

I hope you are 100% real soon.
I am a Blockhead, Man! http://tinyurl.com/CM-Block-Grinders-Why-the-Fuss

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

"Well, I don't wanna be a superman, I just wanna go somewhere, use my hands, and keep it simple. Oh real simple" - Keb' Mo'

Offline kwoswalt99

• Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 07:45:43 PM »
As most old timers know, enamel paint used to be the choice of automobile manufacturers.  Then EPA got into the scheme of things and we are where we are today.  A long time friend and auto restorer was an auto paint dealer (Dupont) for over 30 years and also sold Valspar.  He has used the Valspar tractor paint on a couple of restorations in the last few years. No, he does it in a well ventilated shop, not under a tree, but then his cars don't look any better than the under the tree job. :conf:

Are you insinuating that the old timey paints are better than the modern ones?
WARNING: Not a professional.

Offline coolford

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 03:43:46 PM »
No, they are better in many ways, but not in do it at home and cost.

Offline kwoswalt99

• Super Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »
No, they are better in many ways, but not in do it at home and cost.

Then I agree. thumbsup2
WARNING: Not a professional.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »