Author Topic: Choosing a welder  (Read 580 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Choosing a welder
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 01:29:58 PM »
I think the CP300 is a 3-phase power source that requires a separate Miller wire feeder unit and gun. Parts are hard to find for the feeder and gun -- all proprietary Miller products. You may want to do some research to see if Miller still supports these units with parts -- especially the feeder unit.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 01:32:54 PM »
Ok.  I'll look into it.  I'd asked the seller if he was open to a package-deal if I bought both, but if the MIG is 3-phase only then that won't do me any good.  The TIG/stick was still under $500 though, so cheaper than even the cheapest new hobbyist-grade AC/DC unit that I've found that I would be open to buying.

Only major headache again is the size of the unit.  Thing's massive.  But if I do build a welding table maybe I'll just integrate it right into the thing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
Ok.  I'll look into it.  I'd asked the seller if he was open to a package-deal if I bought both, but if the MIG is 3-phase only then that won't do me any good.  The TIG/stick was still under $500 though, so cheaper than even the cheapest new hobbyist-grade AC/DC unit that I've found that I would be open to buying.

Only major headache again is the size of the unit.  Thing's massive.  But if I do build a welding table maybe I'll just integrate it right into the thing.

CP-300s are 3-phase. It's an industrial machine, and maybe a bit overkill for a small shop.

The Dialarc is also an industrial machine. The thing with the dialarc 250 is that it is probably one of THE best stick welders they ever made, and when they added the HF transformer to make the Dialarc 250HF, they turned an excellent stick welder into a very good TIG machine as well. That said, it is primarily a stick machine with only very basic AC/DC TIG capabilities; meaning that it is permanently tied to sine wave 60Hz mains frequency with no balance or background current control whatsoever.  There is no square wave or pulse option (unless you find a very rare AIRCO pulser like I did). Hence the fine adjustment for thin Aluminum and Steel is a matter of skill and technique vs. welder control settings.

The upside is that the damn thing is so basic that nothing much fails in these units. If you want to weld mostly TIG, then a more modern machine will likely be easier to master and be of use in fabricating delicate parts.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 06:28:57 PM »
Damn, had to zoom in on the data-plate and I can make out a "TH" as the first two letters of a five-letter word before the recognizable "PHASE".

Maybe this is back to the drawing-board.  We'll see.  I'll have to think on the TIG/Stick.  If I can't use both then I can't justify a package-deal and $475 isn't ridiculous for the person that needs this machine, but if I want to play with aluminuminum a lot then it might not be the right choice.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 06:28:57 PM »