Author Topic: Honda Foreman 450ES: A Real Gem  (Read 163 times)

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
Honda Foreman 450ES: A Real Gem
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »
I’ve been looking for a 4 Wheeler for a long time. Finding one that suits me has proved challenging. I grew up on a Honda Foreman. Through High School I practically lived on one of these things in the summertime. I don’t care for the look or feel of newer models and prices are rediculous anymore.

I’ve looked at or called about several over the past couple years, but each time there was something that I couldn’t make work. These bikes are 15 years old or more and most are pretty well used and really look the part. That doesn’t stop people from wanting top dollar for their hard ridden, high mile machines. My OCD won’t let me buy an old clunker without dumping a bunch of money in it to make it right, and my common sense won’t let me pay near $3000 for the privilege.

ATV’s go for more in my area than they do in some places, I understand that, but if I’m paying that kind of money for a 15-20 year old ATV, I expect it to be well cared for. I was starting to think there was no such thing, then this fell into my lap.

One of my wife’s friends dad bought in new in 1999. He used it to plow snow off his driveway and never had it on a trail. When he died, her husband ended up with it. He used it for the same purpose and to run about half a mile to the end of the road to get the mail. Then he died a couple years ago and it hasn’t moved since.

So what we have is a 99 Foreman, in pristine condition, that’s never seen the mud, only has 400 miles on it, and comes with a plow kit and a small trailer. She was willing to part with it, but had no idea what to ask for it. I told her I’d give her $3500 for the lot and she accepted. Won’t have it in possession until tomorrow, but I’m pretty stoked. You’ll never find one in any better shape. That funky winch setup will have to be addressed though.
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
Re: Honda Foreman 450ES: A Real Gem
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
WOW! beautiful shape.
Hardly looks ridden!
Great find!
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
No wonder you are stoked! GREAT BUY!

What is wrong with the winch? It looks fine to me. shrugx
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
She’d have probably taken less, but being a friend, and a single mom, I wasn’t going to low ball her. They go for $2500 in average condition, so given the pristine shape this one is in and the accessories, I felt $3500 was a solid offer. 19 years old or not, it’s exactly what I was looking for and better than I expected to ever find.

I’ve known this lady for years, I just never knew this beauty was hiding in her shed  smackmyself

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
Good for you Travis for doing right by your friend to get that beautiful quad. Plus you saved her from getting low-balled by a ton of people if she advertised it.

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:20:28 PM »
I always try to do right by people. Even if it isn’t always the cheapest philosophy.

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 03:36:31 AM »
One heck of a find in that condition thumbsup2

Check the air filter. Foam might be dry rotted. If you plan on getting the bike wet pack every electrical connector with dielectric grease. Water/mud related problems with the electric shift can be a bitch to troubleshoot. And check the diff and brake vent lines aren't dry rotted. Water in the diffs can get real expensive real fast.

I've got the factory service manual for that bike in pdf. PM me your email address if you'd like me to attempt to email you a copy.

Take a closer look at the cable running from the drum to the fairlead.

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:15:51 PM »
One heck of a find in that condition thumbsup2

Check the air filter. Foam might be dry rotted. If you plan on getting the bike wet pack every electrical connector with dielectric grease. Water/mud related problems with the electric shift can be a bitch to troubleshoot. And check the diff and brake vent lines aren't dry rotted. Water in the diffs can get real expensive real fast.

I've got the factory service manual for that bike in pdf. PM me your email address if you'd like me to attempt to email you a copy.

Take a closer look at the cable running from the drum to the fairlead.

That’d Be great Matt I’ll PM you shortly. I’ve already ordered new filters and planned on changing all the fluids and and checking the lines. Never thought about packing the connections though, that’s a good idea.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
Great buy on a great machine, that's the four wheeler I would have like to have as a kid.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Rewind

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »
Great find there!!! Sometimes patience does payoff!!

Offline LukeOresk

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »

That’d Be great Matt I’ll PM you shortly. I’ve already ordered new filters and planned on changing all the fluids and and checking the lines. Never thought about packing the connections though, that’s a good idea.

A guy I work with said he always did that with his dirt bikes connectors, definitely some good future thinking. That's a very nice machine, I'm jealous!

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »
No wonder you are stoked! GREAT BUY!

Sorry Buck, I missed your question. Nothing wrong with the winch. It works fine, I’m just not crazy about the external mount. I’m going to switch it over to an inside mount like this one where only the fairlead is exposed

Online bl00

• ==========
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 10:49:57 PM »
Sweet!   :mr:

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 10:49:57 PM »