Author Topic: Logan lathe  (Read 157 times)

Offline kwoswalt99

• Super Hero
Logan lathe
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »
Worth it? It needs some work, and missing some parts.
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tls/d/logan-lathe/6391970268.html
WARNING: Not a professional.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Re: Logan lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:30:32 PM »
I cannot tell how much of it is missing. Obviously the tailstock. The seller indicated parts for the power feed missing as well. It is a manual gear change machine for starters which immediately means a machine of less value. If the machine shown was sitting there 100% complete it would probably be a $500-600 dollar machine with no additional tooling at the very most, and like as not less than my estimate. Logan lathes are great quality machines, but inexplicably do not seem to command great resale prices. Plenty of parts out there though.

I hope this gives you an idea. If I wanted a lathe like as not no more than $200 for me seeing how you would be buying a project. The tailstock alone would ruin $100 conservatively to replace.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline kwoswalt99

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:53:51 PM »
Thanks, I guess I won't get it.
WARNING: Not a professional.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:15 PM »
If the idea was to buy and later flip for profit forget about it. If you actually want a lathe for yourself, you have the right brand. Logan/Montgomery Ward lathes are really great quality machines and as I said earlier, often overlooked and priced well below the quality of what the machines actually are if you ask me.

If you want a metal lathe take your time and find a Logan lathe that has a good amount of tooling coming with it, meaning the toolpost and cutters, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a few lathe centers, and maybe a faceplate with a couple of lathe dogs. You get the idea, the more tooling the better. I think $500-600 should get you there.

That would be for a basic machine with manual or hand change threading gears. If you are set on finding a machine equipped with a quick change gear box (a more desirable and valuable machine) figure on spending maybe $1000 or more depending on condition and how well tooled. If you are not all hung up on threading a hand change gear machine would be a much cheaper and great way to get started making chips and learning. Later if you wanted you could add a quick change box to a Logan for around $500 I would think. Or, you could sell the Logan and move on to a lathe already equipped with a quick change box.

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:43:39 PM »
For reference, I just bought and then resold this lathe to a good friend for $1200. Plain Jane SB 9 X 3 1/2'. QC toolpost, 2 chucks, decent stand. It had a very nice bed with the scraping marks just barely gone up by the headstock. It was assembled from a stock of shelved parts and the tailstock was shimmed for height. Overall a good to excellent usable machine with new felts and paint.

Greyson

EDIT: added tooling pic
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:58:56 PM by gtermini »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
He will have a tough time finding that machine where I live for that money. First it is beautiful! Second, it is a SB! $ and third, it is quick change and tooled enough to get started. Around here not as pretty as that one but otherwise the same setup would be $1,500-2000.

Boy I would have loved to find that machine for that money!  droolx

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »

Tags: