Author Topic: Let's rebuild a Power Steering pump -  (Read 205 times)

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Let's rebuild a Power Steering pump -
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:21:03 PM »
I recently installed a factory rebuilt pump on my '95 Rodeo and paid about $60 for the pump through Rock Auto. It's a good price, and I was in a hurry at the time so RA was a great choice. That said, these things are very easy to rebuild and most of the time the squealing and screeching is due to a worn out main shaft bearing.

For $6.78 (the price of ordering a new bearing from the local auto parts store) I was able to rebuild the old pump -- it's not that difficult. It disassembles without the need for presses or special tools.

The main bearing easily releases from the shaft by giving it a few taps with a brass hammer

A quick cleanup of the housing and the shaft in the parts washer was all that was required. After that the shaft was wire wheeled on the bench grinder and it looks like new

The old bearing was taken to the parts store and they cross referenced it without a problem. It's a cheap part, so a new bearing cost a little less than $7 -- that included the special order shipping.

I picked up the bearing this afternoon after work. Since it was such a nice afternoon I lit up a good cigar and grabbed a beer , and put it all back together again in less than 30 minutes.

The seals and "O" rings were in good shape -- the pump didn't leak before and only the bearing was trash. I used a socket to seat the bearing with a few gentle hammer taps, and the hardest part was done.

The pump housing was lubed with some ATF and the whole pump assembly was put back in the housing and buttoned up.

Then I taped up the spindle and gave it a quick coat of gloss black paint. Done and Done!!

I honestly made a mistake getting a refurbished pump -- and could have saved myself $50 in the process.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Re: Let's rebuild a Power Steering pump -
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
I am surprised that keeping the old pump didn't cost you a hefty core charge. When I bought one for our Mazda Tribute earlier this year I recall having to send the original back as to get the core charge of $25-30 bucks or whatever.

I toyed with the idea of rebuilding my pump because what you say is true, they are not tough to rebuild. However, I decided against it because I had a guy replace this one for me because of a lack of time to take care of it myself at that time and needing it up and rolling. Plus, I knew on the Tribute the PS Pump was a difficult tight space job. I did not want any risk of a leak especially since I was paying for this install.

I have kept a few old starters and alternators that fit most of the older GM cars and trucks in the event I needed one in the future for a swap, but I never actually rebuilt them before hand, I just kept the old ones on hand in the event I needed to rebuild one.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
Now what are you going to do with the extra pump?

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »
Now what are you going to do with the extra pump?

I'll throw it in the rebuilt parts pile. It will come in handy -- someday --LOL

Offline bonneyman

• Knows what a screwdriver is
  • A workman is worthy of his wages
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
Cool beans! I love little "save" jobs like this.

I've tried to do as much of this kind of stuff as I can on the cars, but I'm feeling the years catch up with me. Just don't have the stamina or memory to keep three vehicles maintained all by myself, as well as all the household stuff. It's just gotten to be too much. So, I'm farming out more and more things so I can focus on the stuff I can do.

Online OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »
Great pics!

Great writeup!!

A sufficient self-reward noted in the article......

However there was NO mention of the beer brand, nor picture. I was clearly misled on the all the steps needed to accomplish this noble task.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 03:30:22 PM »
Great pics!

Great writeup!!

A sufficient self-reward noted in the article......

However there was NO mention of the beer brand, nor picture. I was clearly misled on the all the steps needed to accomplish this noble task.

:) my apologies for missing the most important of beverages ---  :))

This is what's currently popular in the GF garage fridge -

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:54:03 PM by goodfellow »

Online OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:49:32 PM »
Well done!  ;)

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 10:00:10 PM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys a smoke and a good drink while working at home!

Your starting to become a farmer......"save it, that come handy one day"

100 yrs later your great grandson will be wondering why you kept it as he loads it into the scrap yard lolx

Nice work Ray!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Online skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
good job on the pump.

that is a very nice wheat beer as well. i have enjoyed a few myself!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »

Tags: