Author Topic: a pleasant surprise, atd-915 snap ring pliers set , made in usa!  (Read 217 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
a pleasant surprise, atd-915 snap ring pliers set , made in usa!
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »
having had problems with access to a snap ring  this fall my frustration was still fresh. i was wandering aimlessly through a local parts store when i caught this out of the corner of my eye. i usually pay very little attention to anything marked atd. it has just never appealed to me but i gave it a look anyway. i became more interested when i saw the made in usa emblem on the package. when the guy at the counter said 89 bucks i became very interested. a quick inspection (he let me open the package) and they came home with me.

i have a few different types  of snap ring pliers. mostly the interchangeable tip styles that reverse by pushing the pins back  and forth. a real pain to change tips and directions and then are still bulky. it also seems like depending on the tip the handles are either too large or too small. one of them is also a ratcheting style. sometimes it really makes me angry because you have to squeeze it ever so slightly more to hit the next click and that is the same time the snap ring flies across the shop. i think we have all been there.

anyhow, here is the specs if you are interested. 12 pieces, .038, .047, .070 and .090 tip sizes with a straight, 45 and 90 degree working end for each size. the handles are pretty typical, dipped and  lightly padded yet not too big or too small. the case seems sturdy enough with live hinges and  snap closures. the pliers sit pretty solidly and don't seem to move much. pads are molded into the bottom so it stands on end but no handle it  so it almost needs two hands to carry. typical design to change from internal to external by moving the screw from one position to the other. this set seems to be available  branded as williams, kastar and lang so i would guess lang is the oem for it.

if you have need for snap ring pliers, these may be worth a look. i won't say they are top of the line but they look pretty good at a pretty good price point.  there should be enough variety to cover all but the big boys but they are another story. just remember, i have yet to use them and they could be about as solid as string cheese but i think they will be ok. snap rings have a way of being difficult at best and i am sure that at some time i will give them a good stress test. for now i will be happy to have them in the arsenal.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: a pleasant surprise, atd-915 snap ring pliers set , made in usa!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »
That is a great deal -- congrats SK

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
Yes, a very nice looking set for sure!  beerdude
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:52:06 PM »
Great grab, look like wilde?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:30:09 PM »
Look good to me.  I just got rid of my "set" with the changeable heads.  I hated those things. 

You'll have to let us know how they work when you get a chance to use them.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline MAD

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:25 PM »
look like wilde?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

Looks like  Lang (Kastar)

Should serve well, frustration free for a long time - a worthwhile investment thumbsup2

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »
That is a nice set.  You will be pleased I am sure
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »
Looks good.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »

Tags: