Author Topic: Dilemma......What to do with this one.....  (Read 339 times)

Offline midnitemack

Dilemma......What to do with this one.....
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:17:45 PM »
These Safa brand boxes are made locally and are fairly stoutly constructed. This one was acquired, more because of price than need. When I picked it up from the previous owner it was a bit rougher than expected. I’m figuring that I might cut the top off it and turn it into a middle stacker box to give me more storage without sacrificing bench space.... I have a roller and top box that it could fit nicely between. What thoughts you have guys ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline midnitemack

Re: Dilemma......What to do with this one.....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:20:30 PM »
https://www.safa.co.nz/tool-chests.html

Online mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:31:53 AM »
I did exactly that with a Kennedy 7 drawer chest the lid was beat to hell on.   I think I paid 20 bucks for it.... cut the top down, a coat of matte black paint and made it a riser for my other machinists chest.
"You cannot idiot proof anything due to Mother Nature's ability to constantly build a better idiot."

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »
Just watch your height.  I added a mid  box for about 2 minutes to my home stack and realized the top section and two rows of drawers were too high to use.  Ended up putting another stack beside it that I scored on the cheap and am very happy with the results. 
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Online J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »
Just watch your height.  I added a mid  box for about 2 minutes to my home stack and realized the top section and two rows of drawers were too high to use.  Ended up putting another stack beside it that I scored on the cheap and am very happy with the results.

I offer the same advise. The height can be an issue. I am 5'6" so for me I can't stack too high. I have a mid box and tried to add a second but it put things in the top box too high to reach without a step and that didn't work for me.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
To me that is not a real rough looking box. A little attention and I think it would look very nice in fact. I have seen tops removed for restricted spaces but I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that to a box unless the top was just flat out trashed which that one is not.

I would opt to figure out a different direction to go with the box without removing the top myself. Likely a restoration would be my starting point.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
I am going with Uncle Buck on the condition.   Back when those were in the shops it was a real desirable box.   Plus a box like that with the drop down front, was stouter than a regular one.   Plus the heavy handles indicate it was made to load into the service truck,  and made beefier so it didn't collapse from the contents weight.  At one time I'd have been very happy to get that box. 

Offline lauver

• King of Refurb's
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • PROTO BetR-Grip Whore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
MidNite,

Don't overlook the obvious...  that's a road box.  Throw it in the back of your truck or ute and bolt her down :mr:
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »
MidNite,

Don't overlook the obvious...  that's a road box.  Throw it in the back of your truck or ute and bolt her down :mr:

Amen. Gazza has it nailed.
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
^^^^I'm with those two, would make a nice box for the back of your rig

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
To me that is not a real rough looking box. A little attention and I think it would look very nice in fact. I have seen tops removed for restricted spaces but I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that to a box unless the top was just flat out trashed which that one is not.

I would opt to figure out a different direction to go with the box without removing the top myself. Likely a restoration would be my starting point.

Agreed on all counts.  I'd offer to buy it from you if the shipping wouldn't be such a killer!
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

Quote from: Toecutter
But we're going to teach him.  You are going back for him.

Offline scooterfish

• Bail out Studebaker
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
I agree! Some #0000 steel wool and WD 40, a coat of wax. Then shop or truck you have a nice box.  myopinion
The thing I like about old cars/trucks is the extraordinary lack of plastic.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 03:02:06 AM »
I'm with those other weirdos.  I'd use it as a truck box but I'm sure you already have that covered.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline midnitemack

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 05:08:20 AM »
I agree! Some #0000 steel wool and WD 40, a coat of wax. Then shop or truck you have a nice box.  myopinion
I like the idea of the steel wool and the WD40. Maybe start out first how Phil would a good water blasting to remove the dirt and loose flaking paint.... then see what it really looks like. We finished trucking milk this morning ... making it closer to some shop time.....

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 07:28:18 AM »
I like the idea of the steel wool and the WD40. Maybe start out first how Phil would a good water blasting to remove the dirt and loose flaking paint.... then see what it really looks like. We finished trucking milk this morning ... making it closer to some shop time.....

Hauling milk in a tanker, or packaged milk in a box trailer?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 07:28:18 AM »

Tags: